Tsunami Warning - Phuket

Admin_2

Question

Indonesia's meteorological agency says a powerful earthquake has shaken western Indonesia.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami alert for Indonesia, Malaysia, India and Thailand.

The Indonesian agency said the tremor had a magnitude of 7.6. Its epicenter was just off the coast of Sumatra

The U.S. Geological Survey put the strength at 7.9.

The shaking could be felt in high buildings in the capital, Jakarta, several hundred miles, kilometers away and in neighboring Singapore and Malaysia.

There were no immediate reports of a high waves or injuries.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gCeFe6qrUA2J6TpqBUjMoyp8nthAD9B1JA380

14 answers to this question

Indonesia's meteorological agency says a powerful earthquake has shaken western Indonesia.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami alert for Indonesia, Malaysia, India and Thailand.

The Indonesian agency said the tremor had a magnitude of 7.6. Its epicenter was just off the coast of Sumatra

The shaking could be felt in high buildings in the capital, Jakarta, several hundred miles, kilometers away and in neighboring Singapore and Malaysia.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gCeFe6qrUA2J6TpqBUjMoyp8nthAD9B1JA380

Seems like it has been a busy day for earth quakes and tsumani's

Big quake strikes off Indonesia

An earthquake of magnitude 7.9 has struck off the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

The epicentre was about 50km off the coast, near the city of Padang. There are reports of many houses collapsing but the casualty situation is unclear.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center has lifted the tsunami watch it issued.

It comes hours after tsunamis triggered by an unrelated earthquake in the South Pacific killed more than 100 people across a number of islands.

Witnesses said residents ran out of buildings in Padang and other cities.

"A number of hotels in Padang have been destroyed," Indonesian geophysics and meteorology agency tsunami warning head Rahmat Triyono told AFP.

"Up to now we haven't been able to reach Padang, communications have been cut," Mr Triyono added.

Reports said the shaking could be felt in high buildings in the capital Jakarta and was also felt in Singapore and Malaysia.

The region lies along the same fault line that spawned the 2004 Asian tsunami that killed more than 230,000 in a dozen countries

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/asia-pacific/8282670.stm

Published: 2009/09/30 12:12:32 GMT

Just watched a documentary about Tsunami a few night ago. It was scary. I hope people in TH are fully aware of Tsunami.

My Philliphino friend sent me e-mail about flooding and show me pictures of Cars Soup, It was so sad. My friend couldn't sleep 3 nights cuz she worried about the situation there, she wanna help but can't do anything much.

I plan to donate my cloths and some useful stuff to them, cuz my friend's friend will take the donation stuff to Philipines Embassy.

If anyone wanna help just let me know na... if you can't donate tomorrow my friend will go there again next time.

After Ketsana devastated Philippines,Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Northern part of Thailand now earthquakes and tsunamis in Samoa and Indonesia. Mother Nature is not in good mood!

Are your folks safe back in the Philippines?

Their fine. Thanks Jens. I have to contact them right away when I read the news it was all over the inet its terrifying. There are two more typhoons coming in Phils hopefully they are not disastrous as Ketsana.