World Cup 2010.....

beej

Interesting fact that I never knew...

"Never has a European team won the World Cup outside of Europe. This is difficult, not only for England but for all European teams."

knew that already and brazil in 1958 was the only non-european country to win the world cup in europe !!!

So not joining me on an EW on Ghana?

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Never has a European team won the World Cup outside of Europe. This is difficult, not only for England but for all European teams."

knew that already and brazil in 1958 was the only non-european country to win the world cup in europe !!!

so far every world cup finalist has been from either europe or south america !!

only USA and South Korea have even made it as far as the semi finals !!

HOWEVER ... african nations have been improving steadily and a lot of their best players r now playing in the top european leagues !!! can't decide whether to go for Ghana or Ivory Coast as an EW bet !!

so far every world cup finalist has been from either europe or south america !!

only USA and South Korea have even made it as far as the semi finals !!

HOWEVER ... african nations have been improving steadily and a lot of their best players r now playing in the top european leagues !!! can't decide whether to go for Ghana or Ivory Coast as an EW bet !!

Didn't know about the Euro teams being so Eurocentric in their wins. SO that suggests that for the next 2 WCs no european team will win either one.

Australia to make the quarters. (Whatever happened to the great Cameroon Lions?)

I'd like an EW bet on Somalia to throw a spanner in the works! :wink:

I don't think any of the african nations will be stong enough to win the WC for at least another 12 years.

You have to remember that the way the seedings are done any African country will need to get out of a group with a South American and European team in it who would have played and beaten a lot stronger oppoisition to get there in the first place.

My money is on Spain and my e/w bet will be on the Ruskis (if they qualify).

I don't think any of the african nations will be stong enough to win the WC for at least another 12 years.

You have to remember that the way the seedings are done any African country will need to get out of a group with a South American and European team in it who would have played and beaten a lot stronger oppoisition to get there in the first place.

But with EW they only have to rock the Final, its in Africa after all. Remember Greece in the Euro's a few years back, who would have expected that.

Go on have a flutter on the Ruskis... not bad odds.

But with EW they only have to rock the Final, its in Africa after all. Remember Greece in the Euro's a few years back, who would have expected that.

Go on have a flutter on the Ruskis... not bad odds.

The Euros are easier to win because Brazil and to a lesser extent Argentina don't play in them. Yes you get the odd shock but who did Greece play on their way to winning the Euros?

They won one group game and scraped through on goal difference at the expense of Spain and didnt score more than one goal in 5 of their 6 matches. It took extra time for them to beat the Czechs and they lost to Russia in the group. I would put their success more down to the other teams underperforming than Greece playing well. I was at the tournament and actually went to the France vs Greece quarter final and it was one of the worst games of football ive ever seen.

I can't see an African team playing average and getting as lucky as Greece did with the way their opponents play.

But you are correct nobody expected Greece to win Euro 2004 just like I don't expect an African team to reach the final of WC2010. I am often wrong though.

Updated odds...

Brazil 9/2 Denmark 50/1 Japan 150/1

Spain 9/2 Paraguay 50/1 Ireland 150/1

England 6/1 Chile 50/1 Greece 150/1

Argentina 9/1 USA 66/1 Switzerland 150/1

Germany 10/1 Ghana 80/1 South Korea 200/1

Italy 12/1 Mexico 80/1 Bosnia 200/1

Holland 12/1 Nigeria 80/1 Slovakia 250/1

Portugal 18/1 Australia 100/1 Tunisia 250/1

France 20/1 Cameroon 125/1 Egypt 400/1

Russia 33/1 South Africa 125/1 Slovenia 750/1

Ivory Coast 33/1 Uruguay 125/1 Senegal (suspended)

Serbia 50/1 Ukraine 150/1

• 3 weeks later...

I guess they misunderstood the importance of handbags in world sport!Beckham will definately have to play a more prominant advisor role to ensure no other 'fashion faux pas' are made. :roll:

Handbag gifts come back to haunt England 2018 World Cup bid

Extracts

England 2018's handbags have become "a symbol of derision, betrayal and embarrassment for me and my family", according to one of the men who will decide whether the World Cup finals return to these shores.

The row over the bid's 230 pound Mulberry freebies presented to the wives of Fifa executive-committee members last month has returned to haunt the Football Association after the organisation's vice-president, Jack Warner, yesterday revealed he was sending back the promotional gift. The goodwill gesture caused a furore at a time when England's 2018 team had hoped attention would focus on the unveiling of their star-studded team of ambassadors. Instead they found themselves defending the decision to dispatch 24 handbags.

In a furious letter to the bid chairman, David Triesman, Warner, one of Sepp Blatter's right-hand men, says: "Had [my wife] or I known then that the acceptance of what we all felt was a kind gesture would have resulted in the tainting of her character and mine together with the untold embarrassment to which we are still being subjected, none of us would have attended the dinner, nor would she have accepted what we thought was a gift in honour of her birthday." He added: "I have faced and continue to face all kinds of indignities from all manner of persons, but when these insults touch my wife, it represents an all time low."

I guess they misunderstood the importance of handbags in world sport!Beckham will definately have to play a more prominant advisor role to ensure no other 'fashion faux pas' are made. :roll:

Handbag gifts come back to haunt England 2018 World Cup bid

Extracts

England 2018's handbags have become "a symbol of derision, betrayal and embarrassment for me and my family", according to one of the men who will decide whether the World Cup finals return to these shores.

The row over the bid's 230 pound Mulberry freebies presented to the wives of Fifa executive-committee members last month has returned to haunt the Football Association after the organisation's vice-president, Jack Warner, yesterday revealed he was sending back the promotional gift. The goodwill gesture caused a furore at a time when England's 2018 team had hoped attention would focus on the unveiling of their star-studded team of ambassadors. Instead they found themselves defending the decision to dispatch 24 handbags.

In a furious letter to the bid chairman, David Triesman, Warner, one of Sepp Blatter's right-hand men, says: "Had [my wife] or I known then that the acceptance of what we all felt was a kind gesture would have resulted in the tainting of her character and mine together with the untold embarrassment to which we are still being subjected, none of us would have attended the dinner, nor would she have accepted what we thought was a gift in honour of her birthday." He added: "I have faced and continue to face all kinds of indignities from all manner of persons, but when these insults touch my wife, it represents an all time low."

Handbags at dawn it will be then...

:twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

Being the ever optimist England do have a good chance.

Against Brazil our second team lost 1-0 against their 1st team. There's a definate level of depth to our squad. The new drive the team play under Capello may see us actually perform to our potential- something we've not seen england do in many years.

I think the main competition comes from Germany and Spain, don't fear any other teams really.