REVENGE: For or against?

PeeMarc

Are you for or against it?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against it?

• Yes. I believe in revenge
    • No, I dont believe in revenge
    • Give me a beer or I'll kick ya nuts.

Revenge (synonym vengeance) is a harmful action against a person or group as a response to a (real or perceived) grievance. Although many aspects of revenge resemble the concept of justice, revenge connotes a more injurious and punitive focus as opposed to a harmonious and restorative one. Whereas justice generally implies actions undertaken and supported by a legitimate judicial system, by a system of ethics, or on behalf of an ethical majority, revenge generally implies actions undertaken by an individual or narrowly defined group outside the boundaries of judicial or ethical conduct. The goal of revenge usually consists of forcing the perceived wrongdoer to suffer the same or greater pain than that which was originally inflicted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenge

Seems we humans have lived with this topic since the beginning, but not everyone agrees with it. Or, some people agree with it for some things and not others.

Here in Thailand, it is legendary at all levels throughout history, stories, romance and in daily news.

But none of this makes it either 'right' or 'wrong'.

Whats your view?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would take a very special circumstance that would require any real revenge.

First, we must think of the source of what would cause someone to seek revenge.

One thing comes to mind:

Another person doing something which you consider "bad" to you or your loved one/s.

I usually let karma sort things out. In about 99% of the cases you can avoid feeling wronged if you plan far enough ahead and think it through. And in most cases where you believe you are "wronged" you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time or hanging out with the wrong people.

Punching or slapping an Indian Tailor or beggar child when they touch my arm is not revenge, but just a "reflex".

I usually don't agree with it unless the other person has done something seriously wrong (murder, rape), and didn't get any punishment.

Seeking revenge is something typically done by those who can't accept not winning (ie...girl breaks up with guy, guy can't accept this and throws acid on her face).

Just let it go...

What's the point?

For example Saddam Hussain.

Yes, he'd kiled a lot of people and done a load of bad things, and in the heat of the moment, kiling him seemed like a really good idea.

But, it wasn't in the heat of the moment, it was as cold and calculated as he had been.

Now, years later, there's still lots of unanswered questions, which only he could answer, but now they can't even be asked. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it, but revenge became the overwhelming factor, and, now, there are no answers.

Revenge is a passion.

Saddam Hussein was apportioned what counts as Justice in our age. He was tried, convicted and ONLY THEN was he hanged until he was DEAD DEAD DEAD.

That was not revenge. That was what the world calls justice. Regardless of the motivation.

What the hell is out there right now to which Saddam only holds the key to it's mysteries? Saddam is the poster boy for revenge. Revenge was his lifetime model. His MO, if you will. What? If Saddam were alive still, you think he's gonna cough up those top secret nuke coordinates.

Saddam was on the receiving end of International Justice. The old fucker got what he deserved in the end. Just not enough of it.

Saddam Hussein was apportioned what counts as Justice in our age. He was tried, convicted and ONLY THEN was he hanged until he was DEAD DEAD DEAD.

That was not revenge. That was what the world calls justice. Regardless of the motivation.

What the hell is out there right now to which Saddam only holds the key to it's mysteries? Saddam is the poster boy for revenge. Revenge was his lifetime model. His MO, if you will. What? If Saddam were alive still, you think he's gonna cough up those top secret nuke coordinates.

Saddam was on the receiving end of International Justice. The old f*cker got what he deserved in the end. Just not enough of it.

See? You're still kneejerking even after so much time.

If you read, I said that I didn't disagree that he got what he deserved.

But, clearly, it was done out of revenge, by people with, justifiably, empassioned hearts, on behalf of all those who wished it so.

Its all very well to say that's the end of it, being a distant observer, but there are many who still have unresolved issues to deal with, which he could have helped with (had he been so inclined), which just might have helped them.

Regardless, it's academic. Just a for instance I brought up. Could equally have been so many others.

You, obviously, have voiced your opinion in favour of revenge, whereas I disagree.

(ie...girl breaks up with guy, guy can't accept this and throws acid on her face).

Just let it go...

but lets say you had acid thrown on your face by someone... would you then "let it go"?

just askin'

If it got rid of acne, then yeah...I'd let it go.

But seriously...

It all depends on how serious the action was, and if s/he received fair punishment or not. If someone raped someone close to me, and the police didn't do anything, yes, I would seek revenge.

If someone called me a poo poo head, I'd let it go.

Saddam was on the receiving end of International Justice. The old f*cker got what he deserved in the end. Just not enough of it.

so when will those f**kers Bush and Blair get the justice those murdering, lying ***** deserve ????

From the article in the NY Times

By: Benedict Carey, New York Times

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Payback Time: Why Revenge Tastes So Sweet

Revenge may be frowned upon, but the urge to extract a pound of flesh, researchers find, is primed in the genes.

...The expression itself is all pleasure. In one recent experiment, psychologists demonstrated that students who were ridiculed were far less likely to avenge themselves on an offensive peer if they had been given a bogus "mood-freezing pill," which they were told blocked the experience of pleasure.

"We've shown many times that expressing anger often escalates and leads to more aggression," said Dr. Brad Bushman, a psychologist at the University of Michigan who conducted the study, "but people express it for the same reason they eat chocolate."

I didn't comment on whether you agreed or disagreed.

I said that he was on the receiving end of justice. Not revenge.

It was way too fast and way too vengeful to be regarded as merely justice.

It was revenge. Nothing more. No justice was served. He answered for nothing.

i do believe Rumsfeld and Cheney and Bush didn't want a proper trial for obvious reasons !!!! now why the f**k r those ***** not on trial ???

i do believe Rumsfeld and Cheney and Bush didn't want a proper trial for obvious reasons !!!! now why the f**k r those ***** not on trial ???

You have a way with words sir, are you a a poet?

UInfortunately, there are those who blind themselves to the truth.

Usually, those closest to the lie.

They're not *****, ..... ***** are useful :roll:

Justice would have been better served had he been forced to face his accusers and to account for his actions.

He'd have died anyway. At least this way (as far as he is concerned), he gets off lightly.

Killing him in the heat of the moment merely served to answer the vengeful calls for his death, not those for him to answer for his actions.

You can argue otherwise, but only from a passsionate point of view.

No one who acts out of passion doesn't regret acting otherwise later.

Where's Ciaran's flogging the dead horse icon?

No matter what Bush, Cheney, Rummy or any of the others might be, it changes nothing regarding Saddam Hussein or his guilt.

He was tried. He was convicted. He was executed. All by his own countrymen.

Bush, Cheney are guilty of nothing more than any other powerful government in the history of this world are guilty.

You guys can wax poetic all ya want. It changes absolutely nothing.

Do I agree completely with the US led Coalition invasion of Iraq? Not really. Nor do I completely disagree.

Saddam was a monster. I'm not one of those wishy washy libs who gets queezy at the sight of blood. Sometimes war is a necessary evil. I just wish when we did it, we'd do it right.

Too late for regrets now, though.

Please do explain. I can't stand Cheney and Rumsfield. Have little tolerance for Bush at that.

Even so, I'd love to hear why Saddam Hussein being put on trial would have hurt those three.

Anyone who has a pair of eyes and the willingness to do the research can learn of the involvement of America in Iraq over the past 30 to 40 years. Absolutely nothing that Saddam Hussein could have revealed in a trial that is not known or at the very least theorized.

I'd love to hear this if you have the time.

A good yarn every now and then is good for the soul.