Renew VISA!!

Bushi

Question

Hi All,

I have to leave Thailand to do Renew my Visa, and was wondering where is the best place to get this done. I know its probably been posted many times, but I dont have the time to look through all the forum posts.

I have never had to renew my Visa as I usually always get this done when I'm back home.

So what is the best place for going. Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau?

I want to get it done in the shortest amount of time, but also with no hassles and in a proper office.

Any suggestions..ie... Where to stay, etc.. as well would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bushi

16 answers to this question

Personally, I think the Thai Embassy in Singapore is most efficient and trustworthy for visas, although, Ive only ever used them for non-immigrant B visas.

You dont state what type of visa you are renewing.

Thanks for your reply. I have a tourist visa, but last time I had a non-immgrant visa, but the embassy back home had another company take over to process visas, and for some reason he was giving me a problem for non-immgrant, and I had no time to argue about it, as I had to fly on very short notice. So I was stuck with a tourist visa.

Would like to apply for a new non-immigrant visa for at least 6 months. Is it difficult to get in Singapore, what are the costs?

Personally, I think the Thai Embassy in Singapore is most efficient and trustworthy for visas, although, Ive only ever used them for non-immigrant B visas.

Thanks for your reply. I have a tourist visa, but last time I had a non-immgrant visa, but the embassy back home had another company take over to process visas, and for some reason he was giving me a problem for non-immgrant, and I had no time to argue about it, as I had to fly on very short notice. So I was stuck with a tourist visa.

Would like to apply for a new non-immigrant visa for at least 6 months. Is it difficult to get in Singapore, what are the costs?

A 3 month non-immigrant is easy to get in singapore, but you will need a few things...

- letter from 'employer' (thai company) stating that they wish to get a work permit for you (the reason for the non B visa), your position in that company etc (needs to look impressive)

- the employer company documents (copies)

- photos, signed copies of your passport etc

- you fill in the forms etc in singapore.

- cost is S$100

If you lodge your forms before 12noon (singapore Thai embassy), your visa will be ready to pick up after 2pm the following day.

Getting a 6 month or 12 month non B is hard, and the Thai authorities will wonder why you want such a long time, since (they suppose) you need the visa for time to go through the work permit process.

A 3 month non-immigrant is easy to get in singapore, but you will need a few things...

- letter from 'employer' (thai company) stating that they wish to get a work permit for you (the reason for the non B visa), your position in that company etc (needs to look impressive)

- the employer company documents (copies)

- photos, signed copies of your passport etc

- you fill in the forms etc in singapore.

- cost is S$100

If you lodge your forms before 12noon (singapore Thai embassy), your visa will be ready to pick up after 2pm the following day.

Getting a 6 month or 12 month non B is hard, and the Thai authorities will wonder why you want such a long time, since (they suppose) you need the visa for time to go through the work permit process.

Hmmm very informative. Thank you. How about a triple entry Tourist Visa then? I would have to leave 3 times, but if its more easy to get, then maybe thats a better option?

Hmmm very informative. Thank you. How about a triple entry Tourist Visa then? I would have to leave 3 times, but if its more easy to get, then maybe thats a better option?

I dont know about that. Sorry.

Basically, the less legitimate the reasons for your extended stay in Thailand (eg no job or way of getting work permit etc), the more difficult things become.

I'm not suggesting you're doing something wrong, but there's only so far you can bend the system... and it is getting harder.

The best way IMHO to stay long term in Thailand is to have a legitimate business/company here with VERY trustworthy Thai partner, or a well-paid, secure job. This give you far more freedom and ease for things like visas and work permit etc.

Living here on tourists visas is a very rough and precarious way and doesn't have many benefits to it at all.

I dont know about that. Sorry.

Basically, the less legitimate the reasons for your extended stay in Thailand (eg no job or way of getting work permit etc), the more difficult things become.

I'm not suggesting you're doing something wrong, but there's only so far you can bend the system... and it is getting harder.

The best way IMHO to stay long term in Thailand is to have a legitimate business/company here with VERY trustworthy Thai partner, or a well-paid, secure job. This give you far more freedom and ease for things like visas and work permit etc.

Living here on tourists visas is a very rough and precarious way and doesn't have many benefits to it at all.

I agree with you. I'm planning to move here next year, but right now I just decided I wanted to stay for a much longer time. I have a good job, but my business is back home in Canada, so all my work is done online. Unfornately that does not make things easy for me to live here, so I will be looking into a business here in the near future.

Thanks for your suggestions, and comments regarding this.

You can go to Lao to get tourist visa for 3 months, I've been there with my BF before we had an agency from BKK which could help about this but later something happened so he didnt leaves here to fix his visa until 2 years passed he left Thailand and had to pay 40,000baht for 2yrs overstay :(

I hate to say it, but dumb-asses who over-stay like this (2 years!??) eventually make it harder on others who are being reasonable and honest.

I might be missing something.

I'm here, for a couple of weeks or so, on a tourist visa valid for 30 days. If I wanted to stay a little longer my visa accomodates this, and I can extend it for another 2 weeks if I so desired. So I've been told.

What's 2 years overstay about?

Surely, either people are here for legitimate work purposes, for which they are provided with a work permit and visa, or here for a holiday, following which they go back home.

I can see why people might want to stick around a bit longer, but to overstay? Remain here illegally? For 2 years?

Are people who do that at all worried that they might be caught? I shudder to think of the consequences.

took a trip from Pattaya to Cambodia, was in Cambodia 20 min and on the van 6 hours back and forward. Bring an ipod or something. Cost 2100 THB with visa but since you have a normal visa you will only get 15 days on land. You need to get out to Laos and get a 60 days visa if you want to stay longer. Any city you fly from will give you 30 days on arrival.

You can go to Lao to get tourist visa for 3 months, I've been there with my BF before we had an agency from BKK which could help about this but later something happened so he didnt leaves here to fix his visa until 2 years passed he left Thailand and had to pay 40,000baht for 2yrs overstay :(

I hate to say it, but dumb-asses who over-stay like this (2 years!??) eventually make it harder on others who are being reasonable and honest.

then u have to say this to immigration officer because he was sick, he was going to home since his visa expired but before the airplane leaves only a few minutes the staff had to send him to hospital.

After he got out from hospital we went to the Immigration for 3-4 times every 30 days and the last time we were there it was one man who had cancer in the finale level there too, he asked that officer for extend his visa but she said "This is my country and I dont care if you're going to die on the airplane but I wont give you anymore 30days to stay in my country"

same as us, he didnt get 30 more days to be here and then some other officers told me to take him to hospital like usual and try to get him ED visa but 30days was done. He had to leaves in 7days it was too soon to fix anything and if something like this happens to anyone I dont think that person will be such a black heart to let him go even he was so sick. I took 2 years to take care of him until he got better and his mother came here to pick him home.

Sorry for being a dumb ass.

I can see why people might want to stick around a bit longer, but to overstay? Remain here illegally? For 2 years?

Are people who do that at all worried that they might be caught? I shudder to think of the consequences.

Usually the people who overstay for that long don't care much about the consequences as they don't have much to lose anyway.

Usually the people who overstay for that long don't care much about the consequences as they don't have much to lose anyway.

Or they have lost everything which is why they are finally leaving......

The immigration fine framework actually make it cheaper to overstay this amount of time than do visa runs for the lazy, disorganised cheapies if they can keep out of the sight. 500 baht a day or max 20 000 baht fine for overstaying, thus stay 40 days or 2 years and you'll pay the same!

Stupid risk to take though!

Doubtful you will get a multiple entry in any neighboring country these days.. Those cool triple entry puppies are generally issued from western countries only.

If you want to stay a long while (1 year) then a student ed visa is the way to go. You don't have to study but you will need to pay around the 25000bhat (tuition and paperwork), then go to a neighboring country with the paperwork... after that you just need to go to BKK immigration every 3 months to pay 1900 and notify. Far less hassle and you can get thai lessons for a year if you desire to turn up. It's not a legal requirement of the school to show up, however the schools will need a months notice to ready the necessary papers if you decide to do with it.

thaivisa.com has all the school banners plastered all over their site

overstay is for wankers only