Rudyard Kipling...

DuskyShandy

Have you noticed that all touristy destinationy countries have their own special catchphrase now? If you watch CNN or BBC on UBC you have...

Malaysia. Truly Asia...

Seoul. Soul of Asia...

India. Incredible India...

Indonesia. Natural disaster area...

Pakistan. To die for...

Amazing Thailand of course.

Etc, etc...

I was just wondering..

What's your touristy catchphrase?

(I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.)

this thread is pretty much what i expect in terms of the literary standards of www.thailandfriends.com. can't wait to see what y'all have in store for Conrad...

Conrad? Love his wallpaper, Darling.

Kipling? I used to love the Just So stories when I was a kid. I liked Jungle Book - both the original and the Disney.

I was in the boy scouts brigade in England and all our troops and leaders carried the Jungle Book character names.

I liked the poem... think it was called 'If'... 'If you can keep your head, while all about you are losing theirs and blaming you..." etc etc blah blah and "Yours is the Earth and everything in it. And what's more, you'll be a man, my son"

I'm writing from memory which is failing fast... so excuse the errors, but I think Rudyard would think my version is better... after all, he does make exceedingly good cakes.

I was in the boy scouts brigade in England and all our troops and leaders carried the Jungle Book character names.

err.... it was the Cub Scouts (8yrs to 12yrs) who carried character names.... 'Akela', Baloo, etc... from The Jungle Book and Kim.

The Scouts (12ys to 18yrs) was started by Sir Baden Powell in 1907 and had/have nothing to do with Jungle Book or Kipling.

The Boys Brigade was another group entirely.

err.... it was the Cub Scouts (8yrs to 12yrs) who carried character names.... 'Akela', Baloo, etc... from The Jungle Book and Kim.

The Scouts (12ys to 18yrs) was started by Sir Baden Powell in 1907 and had/have nothing to do with Jungle Book or Kipling.

What the **** did I JUST say about my ******* memory, you heartless bastard? Did you have to destroy my self confidence like that?

Anyway, I knew it wasn't the Boy Scouts Brigade... but I didn't want to write

... I was in the Boy Scouts...

It just leaves it open for some crappy gay, paedophile joke... I was trying to make it less Gay-Kiddy-Fiddlerish ....

(is that even a word? No? It should be.)

What the f*ck did I JUST say about my f*cking memory, you heartless bastard? Did you have to destroy my self confidence like that?

Anyway, I knew it wasn't the Boy Scouts Brigade... but I didn't want to write

... I was in the Boy Scouts...

It just leaves it open for some crappy gay, paedophile joke... I was trying to make it less Gay-Kiddy-Fiddlerish ....

haha... yeah... I was actually going to admit that I received the Queens Scout Award (highest honor presented by the Queen of England).... but that leaves even more gay jokes/pokes to come flying my way.

:shock:

opps... Doh!!!

:arrow:

Kipling's links with the Scouting movements were strong. Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting, used many themes from The Jungle Book stories and Kim in setting up his junior movement, the Wolf Cubs. These connections still exist today. Not only is the movement named after Mowgli's adopted wolf family, the adult helpers of Wolf Cub Packs adopt names taken from The Jungle Book, especially the adult leader who is called Akela after the leader of the Seeonee wolf pack

Kipling's links with the Scouting movements were strong. Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting, used many themes from The Jungle Book stories and Kim in setting up his junior movement, the Wolf Cubs. These connections still exist today. Not only is the movement named after Mowgli's adopted wolf family, the adult helpers of Wolf Cub Packs adopt names taken from The Jungle Book, especially the adult leader who is called Akela after the leader of the Seeonee wolf pack

yes.... Cub Scouts (what is referred to above).... not Boy Scouts (who are older group and drop all reference to Jungle Book themes) ... as I said.

crawl back in your hole, you... you.. person who actually reads books.

haha... yeah... I was actually going to admit that I received the Queens Scout Award (highest honor presented by the Queen of England).... but that leaves even more gay jokes/pokes to come flying my way.

so YOU are the b*tch that stole it from our Iain... (sorry had to. it's TF.)

I understand the affliction :wink:

well old age is affecting your memory old chap; since bloody when are they called the Boy Scouts BRIGADE??

Has there been some sort of secret merger that only you know about??

Or have you been fiddling with your toggle again??

:wink:

Well there was a recent BBC series presented by Ian Hislop which looked at the history of the scout movement. They did however give it the unfortunate title of 'Scouting for boys'.

dib dib dib to the ging gang goolies...

so YOU are the b*tch that stole it from our Iain... (sorry had to. it's TF.)

Nah, I was stripped of the award and thrown out for molesting a girl guide...

:twisted:

well old age is affecting your memory old chap; since bloody when are they called the Boy Scouts BRIGADE??

:

Did you skip 5 posts to leap on that misnomer?

Read on, old boy and see what else was written... fuckin jock!

:

Did you skip 5 posts to leap on that misnomer?

Read on, old boy and see what else was written... f*ckin jock!

ah apologies; somehow missed your correction.

feckin Manc scum... :wink: