future in Thailand

Frans65

Question

24 answers to this question

English teaching is always welcome , having your own business is taking risk of being bankcrupt in a year ..unless you have a special skills and get connections with some Thai friends who can help facilitate things . Try a year house rent and get to know the land of smile rule and regulations for doing your own business . Make a research through internet forums in a few websites would help.

I have thought about leaving the UK before. But to where is a different story. Its always nice to think "Im going to go to a hot, sunny country" but to actually make a life out there would be really hard, just the time alone sorting through the myriad of visas would be annoying enough...I guess if I were to do it, Id try and get work for a company who will spport your visa.

But to run your own business out there, well to be honest....I dont know enough about the visa programs to reply...Maybe ask peemarc?

But I guess you will never know if you dont try right!?

Itll be interesting to find out actually...if its easy....I'll join you.lol

English teaching is always welcome , having your own business is taking risk of being bankcrupt in a year ..unless you have a special skills and get connections with some Thai friends who can help facilitate things . Try a year house rent and get to know the land of smile rule and regulations for doing your own business . Make a research through internet forums in a few websites would help.

This is great advice. I know for sure because I learned all this the hard way over many years.

This is great advice. I know for sure because I learned all this the hard way over many years.

........ Great Timing Peemarc.

:)

I've been here 7 years now...

I wanted to own my own business, but the corruption and changeable nature of the regulations has dissuaded me.

The national and local governments try so hard to protect Thailand from 'outside influences' that their rules are restrictive and xenophobic.

I won't invest money here until I have some assurance that my visa won't be refused on a whim.... I have no confidence that won't happen.

For me, my saving grace is my Thai partner. He is a great operator and has connections in just about every government department, legals, accounting and general Thai things. In essence he knows how to get things done smoothly, calmly and without fuss. I have no idea now how I could possibly run my business without him.

We also have a very symbiotic relationship... yes, he makes money from what I do...and he gets my connections... but also, he understands that the more free I have to do what I do best, the more successful our business becomes. He keeps a lot of the headaches and nightmares away from me, while keeping me informed of them. (while you're doing business here, there's never a single day when you wont say: "WTF!"

I cannot stress enough how important connections and relationships (with Thai) are here. Without them, you will find it almost impossible to last here and simply lose your dosh.

(Edit: and having said all that about my partner, I still keep eyes in the back of my head and don't trust anyone here 100%)

Been here 10 years, never wanted to open a business. Too much head aches I think. If you ever start up something that makes money, within a day some locals have started up the same business. Corruption, dirty cops, threats and extortion is common too.

Now if i had a gf who wanted to start something, I'd support her of course. But I would keep myself in the background, not be in charge of things.

Been here 10 years, never wanted to open a business. Too much head aches I think. If you ever start up something that makes money, within a day some locals have started up the same business. Corruption, dirty cops, threats and extortion is common too.

Now if i had a gf who wanted to start something, I'd support her of course. But I would keep myself in the background, not be in charge of things.

very smart ...but you need a gf that you can trust...hard to find....

Assuming you'd be after making a reasonable living from your investment, you probably couldn't afford the location, and your compromise on location would inevitably lead to failure.

Freaky place mate. There's a million and one shops everywhere you look doing exactly whateveryouthinkof first.

Having said that, there are opportunities for those who offer some sort of rudimentary service with their sales.

Call it, novelty value.

i'm thinking about moving to Thailand in the future, and would like to have something of my own for a living, like a small shop or small restaurant or something like that.

Is there anyone who has done this also or is thinking about that too?

Any advise is welcome!

If you come here to teach English, it's best NOT to admit it on this forum.

For me, my saving grace is my Thai partner. He is a great operator and has connections in just about every government department, legals, accounting and general Thai things. In essence he knows how to get things done smoothly, calmly and without fuss. I have no idea now how I could possibly run my business without him.

We also have a very symbiotic relationship... yes, he makes money from what I do...and he gets my connections... but also, he understands that the more free I have to do what I do best, the more successful our business becomes. He keeps a lot of the headaches and nightmares away from me, while keeping me informed of them. (while you're doing business here, there's never a single day when you wont say: "WTF!"

I cannot stress enough how important connections and relationships (with Thai) are here. Without them, you will find it almost impossible to last here and simply lose your dosh.

(Edit: and having said all that about my partner, I still keep eyes in the back of my head and don't trust anyone here 100%)

5 star post!

i'm thinking about moving to Thailand in the future, and would like to have something of my own for a living, like a small shop or small restaurant or something like that.

Is there anyone who has done this also or is thinking about that too?

Any advise is welcome!

Its much better to be going from US$ to Thai Baht. A small investment there (real estate in a good location that you can rent out in USA) is much better than doing it here. Plus it is always nice to have a reason to get out of here every 3 or 4 months. It always deepens the appreciation of both locations, in my opinion.

Ok first rule- NEVER EVER invest in a bar- unless you really know Thailand, have good connections, good bar knowledge and masses of money you WILL fail.

it's the easiest way of joining the Pattaya Flying Club.

Now a good business is a guesthouse, property is cheap as are staff. You could have 5 rooms charge aprox 500 baht each so get a return of 75000 baht a month. Paying 2 members of staff to do 99% of work will set you back 20000 baht a month.

So a very easy 55k Baht a month profit presuming full occupancy. There are also additional income you can have from this small shop, internet, taxi service, moped rental etc.

It's safest business you can get into in Thailand. You may need to consider fact that you can't own any property in Thailand- a major stumbling block for any farang.

Best way though to live in Thailand is most certainly not to be earning money in baht- an income from another country is safest method. I intend to retire to thailand in 5 years time and will be paying for it with income from the UK

Earn money from other countries and bring it into Thailand. Makes you AND the locals happy.

It's a good start to ask about it on forums, but it's barely the tip of the ice burg. Always underestimate earnings and overestimate expenses. Think through back up plans just as much as you think through today's plans because things ALWAYS go wrong here...always.

Try your hardest to not care about helping the Thai system. It's simply screwed, and you will feel like you are the only one who cares. Complaining about or trying to help the problem is a waste of time and can be seen by some Thais as insulting. Pee in the shower. "Help" the right people and ignore the wrong people.

More to come after I go and wash up.

Earn money from other countries and bring it into Thailand. Makes you AND the locals happy.

It's a good start to ask about it on forums, but it's barely the tip of the ice burg. Always underestimate earnings and overestimate expenses. Think through back up plans just as much as you think through today's plans because things ALWAYS go wrong here...always.

Try your hardest to not care about helping the Thai system. It's simply screwed, and you will feel like you are the only one who cares. Complaining about or trying to help the problem is a waste of time and can be seen by some Thais as insulting. Pee in the shower. "Help" the right people and ignore the wrong people.

Missed the shower then did you? :D

lol...just wanted to see who actually wastes time reading my entire posts!

;)

;)

ME !!!! :oops:

;)

lol, yea I read them....this forum is really good actually....Very interesting to read about.

lol, yea I read them....this forum is really good actually....Very interesting to read about.

I was only semi joking, buddy.

Most of the advice here is pretty sound. I don't know much about the whole hotel business here as it's something that I couldn't see myself getting into.

The good thing is that if you say some complete BS, you'll definitely get called out!

And as you've seen on this thread and many others, if you are spot on, others will let you know as well.

I was only semi joking, buddy.

Most of the advice here is pretty sound. I don't know much about the whole hotel business here as it's something that I couldn't see myself getting into.

The good thing is that if you say some complete BS, you'll definitely get called out!

And as you've seen on this thread and many others, if you are spot on, others will let you know as well.

I know you were joking Mr. Admin. If someone believed everything on this site the they would think we had a fling and English_Bob has massive ding dong.lol