Where to live in Thailand

barsie

Question

I intend to retire to Thailand in 5 years time, question is where should I build a house. I want something reasonably big- 3-4 bedrooms, swimming pool etc.

Ideally I like beaches, but i'd also like to be near somewhere reasonably busy- restaurants etc.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe in the north or the west in Koh Phanghan. My main worry is the roads are bit of a nightmare to commute to busier part of island.

• Answers 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I intend to retire to Thailand in 5 years time, question is where should I build a house. I want something reasonably big- 3-4 bedrooms, swimming pool etc.

Ideally I like beaches, but i'd also like to be near somewhere reasonably busy- restaurants etc.

Anyone got any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe in the north or the west in Koh Phanghan. My main worry is the roads are bit of a nightmare to commute to busier part of island.

Wanna come live with me? You dont have to worry about my sick buffalos as they are being taken care of by another man :lol: :winky:

you gonna need to be a very very rich guy to fulfill those dreams...even more so in 5 years time.

secondly, foreigners cannot ow land in Thailand, so you will have to have a 'proxy' to own it for you.

Good luck

Well I don't think you need an insane amount of money- you can build a modern 2 bedroom house for aprox 2 million Baht, so i'm guessing you can go a long way with 5M Baht or so.

Wanna come live with me? You dont have to worry about my sick buffalos as they are being taken care of by another man icon_lol.gif winky.gif

But what about your broken motorbike? ;)

you gonna need to be a very very rich guy to fulfill those dreams...even more so in 5 years time.

secondly, foreigners cannot ow land in Thailand, so you will have to have a 'proxy' to own it for you.

Good luck

Well I don't think you need an insane amount of money- you can build a modern 2 bedroom house for aprox 2 million Baht, so i'm guessing you can go a long way with 5M Baht or so.

Land is the expensive thing, as well as the impossibility of foreign ownership.

Depends where you wanna live.

If your only stipulation is 'Thailand', then sure, you can build a 3-4 bedroom house not far from the minefields on the Cambodian border, or just a hop, skip and a jump from the opium fields of the Golden Triangle.

But if you'd like to be within a day's travel of a 7-11, a pub or, dare I say it, a cinema, 5 million will get you nothing at all.

Go online and look at property prices in anywhere popular - Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai - the prices are heading towards crazy UK prices.

Plus, as has already been mentioned, as a foreigner you are not welcome to buy land.

Sorry to be brutal, but this sounds like a pipe-dream with no thought behind it. Read up on the myriad of foolish farangs who tried to retire out here and ended up broke or dead.

Try not to become another statistic.

I've done adequate research so won't become a statistic. I'm well aware of the ownership issues- and am fully aware that it'll be totally in a thai girls name with all the assoociated risks.

However like any gambler, only stake what you can afford to lose.

I've seen what you can get for 2m Baht in Ayutthaya, which suits me- near 7/11 markets and a bar plus only 1 hour drive from Centre of Bangkok.

I'm interested in what you can get in other places.

I've done adequate research so won't become a statistic. I'm well aware of the ownership issues- and am fully aware that it'll be totally in a thai girls name with all the assoociated risks.

I've seen what you can get for 2m Baht in Ayutthaya, which suits me- near 7/11 markets and a bar plus only 1 hour drive from Centre of Bangkok.

Seems like you're not really interested in much advice, so why start a forum? As you say, you are "well aware" of all the issues.

The last piece of advice I would give is the same as beej just told another... live here for at least 2 years... THEN make decisions on what you're gonna do. If you have not actually lived here for at least this much time, then really you are not "aware" of much at all. And I very much doubt any foreign resident here would disagree.

Good luck.

Seems like you're not really interested in much advice, so why start a forum? As you say, you are "well aware" of all the issues.

The last piece of advice I would give is the same as beej just told another... live here for at least 2 years... THEN make decisions on what you're gonna do. If you have not actually lived here for at least this much time, then really you are not "aware" of much at all. And I very much doubt any foreign resident here would disagree.

Good luck.

I agree with you on this one I have made residence in BKK for about 3 years now and would not like to go into business without a business partner on any size business just too much twisted and shady crap involved.

Good luck.

I think you are the classic kick the new guy, rating my knowledge on my number of post on this forum. I've not even stated that I don't currently live in Thailand- you've assumed it.

As in my last post 'I'm interested in what you can get in other places.' i'm interested in people's ideas of places to live, possibly not the obvious get a condo in Phucket etc.

Good luck.

I think you are the classic kick the new guy, rating my knowledge on my number of post on this forum. I've not even stated that I don't currently live in Thailand- you've assumed it.

As in my last post 'I'm interested in what you can get in other places.' i'm interested in people's ideas of places to live, possibly not the obvious get a condo in Phucket etc.

take his advice and think about it clearly !!

It's spelled PHUKET... maybe that didn't come up in your 'adequate research'.

You asked for advice.

You were given good, straight-forward honest advice by long-term residents and wished 'good luck'.

It wasn't the advice you wanted, so you ignored it and got grumpy.

Here's some more advice - if you want to hear only good news, don't ask impartial readers.

If you want to know factual information like prices - use Google. :roll:

Good question, as I also intend to retire to Thailand in 5 years time.

And, I also have every intention of buidling a house near the beach in the north, Chiang Mai probably, as you do.

And I have just piles and piles of cash as you appear to have. I probably made it in stocks and shares and that.

Yep, what a load of total bollocks.

But funny how many people want to help a bloke who claims wealth.

(BTW, not being a **** everyone. Just observing.)

Out of interest, exactly what can you get for 2m in Ayutthaya? I would have thought there would be a wide spectrum of what that amount gets you?

Better to throw your money into a cheap, sordid beer bar in Pattaya like thousands of others before you. It is a sure fire winner - you just sit back, relax and let it rake in money for you all trouble free! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think Bangkok is pricey for a good home in a nice place. For shotholes at cheap prices it's good though.

I love Khlong Toei. All my mates are here and it is affordable.

I understand the slums are even cheaper. Especially if one takes one of the areas immediately adjacent to the huge oil storage tanks!

Some great murals on a few of the tanks and walls there though.

What's wrong with your own country?

Why do you choose Thailand?

Enjoy doing visa runs?

Or are you going to do 18 years of language study visas?

Your Thai will be quite good by then.

Or are you going to do a sham marriage? (Like a few other TF members whose names I won't mention here because they are friends.)

Either way, you come across as a wanker.

What is a sham marriage in Thailand? (Sorry for a lack of knowledge.)

Me thinks that's when John the farang walks up to a random (bar) girl, offers her an amount of money if they 'get married', so that he can get a 1 year visa. They are just married on the paper, basically.

I thought they were supposed to work the other way round?

Isn't a sham marriage in Thailand a farang who has a real wife back home but claims he's single?

Bigamy's only a crime if you get caught, isn't it?