Million Dollar Thread

Admin_2

You've been given a budget of 1 million dollars (33 million baht).

You know what you love to do, and you know what makes money. How would you mix the two into an idea for a business in Thailand? It can only cost $1,000,000 or less...so no 4G type businesses.

Please try and post only serious ideas...

$1 mil.... a legit business in Thailand... God only knows how much of it will be wasted on total bullshit, phony staff, bribes, rent, stress.

If it was me personally, Id wait till the dollar recovers somewhat then buy 5 very nice condos in the very center of Bangkok for under 8 million baht each.

Sitting on the portfolio that slowly earns you a steady income of between, 2 million - 3 million pure profit a year in rental, as well as the appreciation of property value with their prime location.

Its not going anywhere, no worries about competition, no silly laws and regulations, solid investment, easy liquidation if needs must.

My motto has always been, ''why work, when someone else can do all the work for you?''

$1 mil.... a legit business in Thailand... God only knows how much of it will be wasted on total bullshit, phony staff, bribes, rent, stress.

If it was me personally, Id wait till the dollar recovers somewhat then buy 5 very nice condos in the very center of Bangkok for under 8 million baht each.

Sitting on the portfolio that slowly earns you a steady income of between, 2 million - 3 million pure profit a year in rental, as well as the appreciation of property value with their prime location.

Its not going anywhere, no worries about competition, no silly laws and regulations, solid investment, easy liquidation if needs must.

My motto has always been, ''why work, when someone else can do all the work for you?''

Interesting. You don't think that the real estate market in Bangkok will take a significant hit pretty soon?

What about buying up cheaper apartments out around Bang na (or wherever else the BTS is coming up)?

Interesting. You don't think that the real estate market in Bangkok will take a significant hit pretty soon?

What about buying up cheaper apartments out around Bang na (or wherever else the BTS is coming up)?

Not for me, I'm always attracted to central locations when buying. Easier to rent, higher returns, better tenants, less work.

If I was buying in Bangkok I'd buy, Wireless Road, Ruam Rudee, Soi Lang Suan, Soi Chidlom, Lumpini Park Area, Avoiding Suhumvit, and the Sapan Thaksin end of Sathorn.

For 8 mil and under you'd get some lovely 120+sqm condos in those areas, dotted around various embassies with a constant flow of well groomed, happily off tenants.

Cheaper apartments, get filled with cheaper people who don't pay rent on time, and get cunty about every little thing. 5 apartments central or 50 in butt **** nowhere for the same money...... take the easy route.

I would continue to do what I have been relatively successful at for the past year and half. Options trading. Right now I'm earning about 5% a month on my working capital. With a million dollars of working capital I could significant lower my risk profile and still earn a nice living.

But if I was forced to choose a more traditional business I think I would try a nice lounge. Not with a full blown restaurant but a limited app menu. Feature DJ's and live bands in a small intimate venue.

A sports bar might be nice to try but in BKK there is really only 1 sport that attracts a broad customer base (football) needed to be profitable so I'm not sure the sports bar as I know it would work there.

All this is said with me not really understanding the Thai market as well as the posters here that live there.

Please try and post only serious ideas...

ok Dad. Can I have the money now, while I think about it? :roll:

That's the second time I was sarcastically called Dad recently! I told the last friend that he would be out of the family if he came late.

"OK, Dad!"

What family?? :wink:

I wasn't being sarcastic...only that you should get use to it!!

I'm gonna avoid any stress factor. No investing in any stockmarket (still carrying some TG shares for years and still losing money). I'd just buy gold for that $1 m. keep it for a few years and sell it (after that I'm gonna buy me a yacht and sail the world).

TG shares and Gold...... two things that would make me run for the hills at the moment.

Thank God no ones given you a Million bucks.

I'm gonna avoid any stress factor. No investing in any stockmarket (still carrying some TG shares for years and still losing money). I'd just buy gold for that $1 m. keep it for a few years and sell it (after that I'm gonna buy me a yacht and sail the world).

If you invest in gold, you'll only be able to get a $750,000 yacht...keep it in cash and get a million dollar yacht :)

And I can cook and clean! Do you allow pregnant women and children aboard as well?

You don't have to spend it all right away. You can put your toe into the water to test it.

1) Go go bar or after hours bar (Do your homework)

2) Import store (so many foreigners miss the things they can buy back "home")

3) A small food factory such as a unique new brand of chocolate or something like the Danita brand of corn chips/salsas.

4) A bakery or deli which has unique recipes or foods which will gain a big following because of quality

5) Fast food franchise (Many years ago when I was walking down the beach in Pattaya, I told myself that the first one to open a McDonalds franchise there would get plenty of biz.

6) Small condos near a university (works for a "friend" of mine and does over 10% annually not counting appreciation/depreciation)

If you invest in gold, you'll only be able to get a $750,000 yacht...keep it in cash and get a million dollar yacht :)

And I can cook and clean! Do you allow pregnant women and children aboard as well?

so, investing in gold isn't a good idea after all. Maybe I should set up my own religion and selling some T-shirts and craps books.

or make an internet dating website, but it must base in DK. I have been told that dating web business here make good money, one of them has turnover this year over 5 mi. kroner.(almost a million USD)

• 4 months later...

so, investing in gold isn't a good idea after all. Maybe I should set up my own religion and selling some T-shirts and craps books.

or make an internet dating website, but it must base in DK. I have been told that dating web business here make good money, one of them has turnover this year over 5 mi. kroner.(almost a million USD)

well that would be cause it very easy to marry a danish guy. Danish tv had a documentary about Thy in Thailand i think.

Operation License To Marry!!! Get a visa and make your dreams come through by al means.

here i found the link

http://www.bangkokdiaries.com/2009/04/05/thy-thailand/