Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Treborz

So it looks like the fight everybody wants to see is going to happen. Pencilled in for March 13th 2010 and guess what? At the moment it looks like i'll be in Bangkok on that date.

Where is the best place to watch early morning boxing?

Tough one to call this, I'd like to see the Pacman win but I can see Mayweather catching him with a few shots that might be enough to win him the fight. Manny will go the distance though.

Mayweather on points for me.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I heard it was scheduled for then also..was announced after the 76 second Khan fight.lol

Gonna be a belter..I too would like to see Pacquaio win....This really really is the clash of the titans....

Sorry mate, I cant help you out with any places to watch it over there...If I am in bkk at that time Ill give you a shout.

So it looks like the fight everybody wants to see is going to happen. Pencilled in for March 13th 2010 and guess what? At the moment it looks like i'll be in Bangkok on that date.

Tough one to call this, I'd like to see the Pacman win but I can see Mayweather catching him with a few shots that might be enough to win him the fight. Manny will go the distance though.

don't think it's been actually confirmed yet .... i'm sure there's still gonna be loads of haggling over purse split, fight weight, gloves, ring size, referee etc etc !!

before the cotto fight i'd have said mayweather would be too big and too strong for manny, but now i think manny just might take him. especially as cotto was a boxer that mayweather didn't want to fight .... along with mosley and margarito !!

soi 8 bar on ... soi 8 is a pretty good place to watch the boxing. can lead to very messy monday mornings though !!!

soi 8 bar on ... soi 8 is a pretty good place to watch the boxing. can lead to very messy monday mornings though !!!

Messy Monday Mornings? Won't the fight be Sunday lunchtime....or do you mean it turns in to an all dayer.

Messy Monday Mornings? Won't the fight be Sunday lunchtime....or do you mean it turns in to an all dayer.

it has been known to happen before now !!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sports Academy will stream it live for free if you give them enough notice.

it has been known to happen before now !!! :)

I 2nd that!!

Sports Academy will stream it live for free if you give them enough notice.

Is SA even open that early?

"Nearly every detail is finalized for Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao to fight on March 13 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas but one. That one detail, though, may kill the fight.

Negotiations are at an impasse over Pacquiao’s failure to agree to random Olympic-style drug testing, said Leonard Ellerbe, the CEO of Mayweather Promotions, on Tuesday.

Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach said his fighter is willing to comply with strict drug-testing standards, but Roach won’t allow Pacquiao to have blood drawn 48 hours before the fight.

Ellerbe said he would not let Mayweather enter the ring unless Pacquiao agreed to it.

Both sides agreed that the drug testing issue is the only hurdle preventing the fight from being finished. Earlier Tuesday, Golden Boy Promotions officially requested March 13 from the Nevada State Athletic Commission to host the show.

“As Floyd’s management, we are insistent that there be a level playing field,” Ellerbe said. “This is in the best interests of the fighters, the fans and the sport. If you want a level playing field, the best way to do it is to have Olympic-style, random drug testing administered by the premier agency in the world, the [united States Anti-Doping Agency].”

Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum said the demand is “absolutely crazy,” done simply to harass Pacquiao, who is squeamish about needles, and is proof that Mayweather doesn’t really want the fight.

Arum said the request has been an unsettled issue since the first day of negotiations last month.

“We’re not going to agree to have Manny give blood in training, because that’s stupid,” Arum said. “Every doctor in the world will tell you that is stupid. He’ll give his blood at the beginning of the year and he’s willing to be urine-tested 24/7, but blood doesn’t show shit and he’s not going to do it.”

Michael Koncz, Pacquiao’s adviser and de facto manager, said Pacquiao believes drawing blood so close to a competition harms the body, but the boxer is willing to have his blood drawn a month away from the fight as a compromise.

Koncz said Pacquiao was willing to pass on the fight if it came to that.

“Manny has a lot more options than Mayweather does,” Koncz said. “Manny is clean and he’s never done a thing, and he’s willing to go to great lengths to prove it. It’s my understanding that this stuff doesn’t just leave your system overnight.

“He’ll take a blood test immediately after the fight, if that’s what they insist upon. But Manny believes very strongly that it would be harmful to him to draw blood that soon before the fight and he plain and simple isn’t going to do it.”

In a statement released by his publicist, Mayweather said he is willing to submit to the testing. There was never any suspicion that Pacquiao had ever taken banned substances until earlier this year, when Floyd Mayweather Sr. suggested he was on steroids.

Pacquiao has passed every urine test he’s been given in connection with boxing matches.

“I understand Pacquiao not liking having his blood taken, because frankly I don’t know anyone who really does,” Mayweather said in his statement. “But in a fight of this magnitude, I think it is our responsibility to subject ourselves to sportsmanship at the highest level. I have already agreed to the testing and it is a shame that he is not willing to do the same.

“It leaves me with great doubt as to the level of fairness I would be facing in the ring that night. I hope that this is either some miscommunication or that Manny will change his mind and step up and allow these tests, which were good enough for all these other great athletes, to be performed by USADA.”

Blood tests for illegal drugs and banned substances are not required by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which would have regulatory control of the bout if it is held in Las Vegas.

In Nevada, a fighter is required to submit to a blood test that screens for HIV and Hepatitis B and C, as well as other blood-borne diseases, as part of the requirement to gain a license.

A license in Nevada is good for one year. In Pacquiao’s case, he received his 2009 license shortly before he fought Ricky Hatton in May. He submitted his blood to the commission between April 5 and April 20, said Keith Kizer, the commission’s executive director.

Kizer said all fighters who fight in Nevada are subject to random urine tests as well as any other medical tests, such as an MRI or a CAT scan, that the commission deems necessary. Arum said Pacquiao is willing to submit to testing by an outside agency but won’t give his blood. Roach said it’s an issue because Mayweather’s side has been insisting Pacquiao give blood as close as 48 hours within the fight.

“We’ll accommodate their requests and do urine testing up the wazoo and we’ll agree to have them done by an outside agency,” Arum said. “Manny has nothing to hide. But he’s not going to give blood because that’s crazy. He’ll do it at the beginning and he’ll do it at the end. That’s how it is done. Ask some former Olympic boxers how many times they give blood.”

Ellerbe said having the testing administered by USADA would quell suspicions about the procedures or the result.

“This is no rooty toot organization,” said Ellerbe, who noted that such testing was accepted by elite athletes such as LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Michael Phelps and Lance Armstrong.

Roach scoffed at such talk and said it won’t matter to him if the fight is not held.

“I really don’t care, because Manny doesn’t need Floyd Mayweather,” Roach said. “The tests he’s requesting are not commission tests, they’re not boxing tests and this is not an Olympic sport. A urine test is just as qualified as a blood test. [Human growth hormone] is not detected by blood or urine.”

The World Anti-Doping Agency successfully used blood testing at the 2004 Olympics in Athens to test for HGH."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-boximpasse122209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Roach scoffed at such talk and said it won’t matter to him if the fight is not held.

“I really don’t care, because Manny doesn’t need Floyd Mayweather,†Roach said. “The tests he’s requesting are not commission tests, they’re not boxing tests and this is not an Olympic sport. A urine test is just as qualified as a blood test. [Human growth hormone] is not detected by blood or urine.â€

The World Anti-Doping Agency successfully used blood testing at the 2004 Olympics in Athens to test for HGH."

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-boximpasse122209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

i'm beginning to wonder if Mayweather is starting to bottle it !!! how many fighers r required to give blood for testing before a fight ?? how many times has Mayweather done it before a fight ?? and if Manny's prepared to give urine samples what's the problem ?? if these tests r not required by any of the boxing authourities why should Manny agree to them ??

i think Mayweather's worried he won't be able to handle Manny's power and speed. he has a history of ducking fighters in the past and fighting guys way outside their normal weight division ... and in fariness i reckon he needs Manny a lot more than Manny needs him. Mayweather may reckon he's the P4P number 1, but i reckon Manny's a lot more popular and a hell of a lot more exciting to watch !!!

Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather superfight?

Golden Boy Promotions repping Mayweather said the bout, scheduled for March 13, was in "jeopardy."

Bob Arum of Top Rank said "the plug is pulled."

This might be best defined as a blood feud.

There is contention over Mayweather (40-0) demanding drug testing that includes random blood and urine sampling.

Pacquiao (50-3) does not want blood drawn inside 30 days of the fight but said he would give blood before the press conference to promote the bout.

..read more>>Pacquiao says he plans to sue Mayweather for defamation.

question: is mayweather scared?

Golden Boy Promotions repping Mayweather said the bout, scheduled for March 13, was in "jeopardy."

There is contention over Mayweather (40-0) demanding drug testing that includes random blood and urine sampling.

Pacquiao (50-3) does not want blood drawn inside 30 days of the fight but said he would give blood before the press conference to promote the bout.

After seeing what Manny did to Cotto and Hatton and with all the latest shenanigans from the Mayweather camp.....I think the answer is a big fat YES!!!

After seeing what Manny did to Cotto and Hatton and with all the latest shenanigans from the Mayweather camp.....I think the answer is a big fat YES!!!

you know stevie I agree pacman should sue mayweather for defamation their hype is way overboard. I think mayweather is a bit shaken and stired by what pacman is capable of doing..it just shows he doesn't underestimate em

you know stevie I agree pacman should sue mayweather for defamation their hype is way overboard. I think mayweather is a bit shaken and stired by what pacman is capable of doing..it just shows he doesn't underestimate em

agree with all that .... but what the f**k is the point of Manny fighting Paulie Malignaggi. that guy couldn't knock snow of a ditch !!! from today's guardian !!

Brinkmanship rushed past stalemate towards suicidal promotional meltdown tonight when Manny Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, declared he would announce the little Filipino's next opponent tomorrow – "and it won't be Floyd Mayweather Jr".

The new opponent is, according to Arum, going to be the light-hitting New Yorker Paulie Malignaggi, who was stopped by Ricky Hatton in November 2008 and has a loss and two wins since. This is the boxing equivalent of Manchester United cancelling a Champions League fixture against Barcelona and opting instead for a Wednesday night friendly against Huddersfield. Arum, however, has, seemingly, lost patience with Mayweather, whose negotiators want Pacquiao to prove he is drugs-free by taking random "Olympic standard" blood tests before their scheduled 13 March fight in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao, defending his WBO welterweight title, agreed instead to random urine tests and three blood tests, two of them 30 days before the fight – a requirement that goes beyond the strict regulations of the Nevada State Athletics Commission under whose jurisdiction the fight will come. Pacquiao has denied taking drugs.

That compromise, apparently, was not acceptable to Mayweather's people. Arum set a Monday deadline for Mayweather's promotional partners, Golden Boy Promotions, to respond and that passed without acceptance.

Leonard Ellerbe, chief executive of Mayweather Promotions, said: "Random is random. We are not backing off and the ball is in their court." Arum's response to that was: "If that is the case, then tomorrow morning we will announce who Manny will fight on 13 March and it won't be Floyd Mayweather. It's terrible. Mayweather and his people have never cared about the good of boxing and it is Manny that has brought boxing back. Is this a loss for boxing? Is this a missed opportunity? Of course it is."

Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions said: "Let the record be clear: Manny Pacquiao and his promoter, Bob Arum, are threatening to walk away from the largest fight in history. It is disappointing for us to see that the benefits of blood testing, and the fact that many different substances and procedures can only be detected by blood testing, are still not fully understood by all."

But they left the door open for a resolution: "[We are] still open to the earlier discussions of having both parties work out a mutually agreeable understanding of the testing, which would be conducted by a mutually agreed upon agency."

The head of the Nevada boxing commission has ordered Pacquiao and Mayweather to submit to urine tests within 48 hours as a way of trying to break the impasse. The boxers face possible fines or suspension by the Nevada Athletic commission if they refuse to do so. "That at least starts the ball rolling," said Keith Kizer, the commission's executive director.

In the convoluted question-and-answer rhetoric of the modern-day sports industry manipulator, Arum went to the core of the dispute: control. At stake is a potential pot of $200m (£125m) and it has become clear over the past week that the integrity of the contest between the acknowledged two best pound-for-pound fighters in boxing has come to play a poor second fiddle to the egos and financial aspirations of not just the fighters but the suits who rule their destiny.

Arum has protested that Pacquiao does not object to blood tests up to 30 days before the fight, nor to random urine tests at any time, but he does not want the intrus.Number three, there is the possibility it is a way to disconcert Pacquiao who they know … doesn't like to give blood immediately in the weeks prior to a fight when he is in training because he believes, rightly or wrongly, that it saps his strength."

This is chutzpah on a grand scale: No way does Mayweather want to kill a fight that could earn him $50m, and the notion that Pacquiao, who is covered with tattoos, doesn't like to give blood is stretching credulity.

Arum, meanwhile, insisted: "The reason they know this is that Pacquiao's last defeat was to Erik Morales and he had been directed to give a blood test that the state commission requires, that he needed for a licence, for HIV and hepatitis. He did it, they took his blood test 10 days before the fight. He claims it sapped his strength and [contributed to] his loss to Morales."

agree with all that .... but what the f**k is the point of Manny fighting Paulie Malignaggi. that guy couldn't knock snow of a ditch !!! from today's guardian !!

Brinkmanship rushed past stalemate towards suicidal promotional meltdown tonight when Manny Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, declared he would announce the little Filipino's next opponent tomorrow – "and it won't be Floyd Mayweather Jr".

The new opponent is, according to Arum, going to be the light-hitting New Yorker Paulie Malignaggi, who was stopped by Ricky Hatton in November 2008 and has a loss and two wins since. This is the boxing equivalent of Manchester United cancelling a Champions League fixture against Barcelona and opting instead for a Wednesday night friendly against Huddersfield. Arum, however, has, seemingly, lost patience with Mayweather, whose negotiators want Pacquiao to prove he is drugs-free by taking random "Olympic standard" blood tests before their scheduled 13 March fight in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao, defending his WBO welterweight title, agreed instead to random urine tests and three blood tests, two of them 30 days before the fight – a requirement that goes beyond the strict regulations of the Nevada State Athletics Commission under whose jurisdiction the fight will come. Pacquiao has denied taking drugs.

That compromise, apparently, was not acceptable to Mayweather's people. Arum set a Monday deadline for Mayweather's promotional partners, Golden Boy Promotions, to respond and that passed without acceptance.

Leonard Ellerbe, chief executive of Mayweather Promotions, said: "Random is random. We are not backing off and the ball is in their court." Arum's response to that was: "If that is the case, then tomorrow morning we will announce who Manny will fight on 13 March and it won't be Floyd Mayweather. It's terrible. Mayweather and his people have never cared about the good of boxing and it is Manny that has brought boxing back. Is this a loss for boxing? Is this a missed opportunity? Of course it is."

Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions said: "Let the record be clear: Manny Pacquiao and his promoter, Bob Arum, are threatening to walk away from the largest fight in history. It is disappointing for us to see that the benefits of blood testing, and the fact that many different substances and procedures can only be detected by blood testing, are still not fully understood by all."

But they left the door open for a resolution: "[We are] still open to the earlier discussions of having both parties work out a mutually agreeable understanding of the testing, which would be conducted by a mutually agreed upon agency."

The head of the Nevada boxing commission has ordered Pacquiao and Mayweather to submit to urine tests within 48 hours as a way of trying to break the impasse. The boxers face possible fines or suspension by the Nevada Athletic commission if they refuse to do so. "That at least starts the ball rolling," said Keith Kizer, the commission's executive director.

In the convoluted question-and-answer rhetoric of the modern-day sports industry manipulator, Arum went to the core of the dispute: control. At stake is a potential pot of $200m (£125m) and it has become clear over the past week that the integrity of the contest between the acknowledged two best pound-for-pound fighters in boxing has come to play a poor second fiddle to the egos and financial aspirations of not just the fighters but the suits who rule their destiny.

Arum has protested that Pacquiao does not object to blood tests up to 30 days before the fight, nor to random urine tests at any time, but he does not want the intrus.Number three, there is the possibility it is a way to disconcert Pacquiao who they know … doesn't like to give blood immediately in the weeks prior to a fight when he is in training because he believes, rightly or wrongly, that it saps his strength."

This is chutzpah on a grand scale: No way does Mayweather want to kill a fight that could earn him $50m, and the notion that Pacquiao, who is covered with tattoos, doesn't like to give blood is stretching credulity.

Arum, meanwhile, insisted: "The reason they know this is that Pacquiao's last defeat was to Erik Morales and he had been directed to give a blood test that the state commission requires, that he needed for a licence, for HIV and hepatitis. He did it, they took his blood test 10 days before the fight. He claims it sapped his strength and [contributed to] his loss to Morales."

OMG I agree C-man

I want to see this fight happen as much as anyone else --l I also agree what admin said in an earlier post what is the problem with taking the the test right after the fight? politicians do this stuff it's called smear campaings. Mayweather is no dummy he reads and calculates the risk reward factor to all this and he feels this will give him an edge. hey Ali used to do this stuff with his mouth.. I really don't feel pacman should give into maywether's camp he already believes from a mind psych point of view that this blood test will weaken him. I think it has lot of principle envolved why he doesn't want to do it. I hope this is all sorted out.. I as probably the rest of the boxing world fans would love to see this fight happen.

What I'd like to know is (maybe some of you big and buff guys can help here):

Are there steroids that aren't detectable via urine tests that do show up in blood tests?

If they are basically the same, shouldn't that shut Mayweather up?

And...

If THAT doesn't shut Mayweather up, shouldn't Manny proposing that he take a blood test immediately after the fight shut Mayweather up?

I mean...I'm not doctor but...

:roll:

What I'd like to know is (maybe some of you big and buff guys can help here):

Are there steroids that aren't detectable via urine tests that do show up in blood tests?

If they are basically the same, shouldn't that shut Mayweather up?

And...

If THAT doesn't shut Mayweather up, shouldn't Manny proposing that he take a blood test immediately after the fight shut Mayweather up?

I mean...I'm not doctor but...

:roll:

I think the problem is...Mayweather doesn't know how to shut fu**in up :roll: