Noise in Thailand

Admin_2

reminds me of Taipei where at 5am every morning the guy with huge speakers would drive around announcing to the residents that he has arrived and asks you to come out an sell your recyclables to him. Almost killed me. Thw worst part is he spoke in Taiwanese, not Mandarin so I couldn't understand him.

Similar to the village of my wife, where every day at an unspoken hour the village elder or a monk gives advice for a good living and so on. Even if I could understand, I would not like that!

I was once in a hotel in Phnom Penh. One day I looked out of the window and saw people erecting HUGE speakers just feet from my balcony in preparation for a wedding.

Knowing I had a busy day the next day, I asked the staff if they would be playing music that night... would I be disturbed? She assured me that the wedding was the following day and the speakers wouldn't be active until then.

Technically, she was correct... At a few minutes before 5am, the speakers exploded into life, shaking the glass in the windows and reverberating through the entire building. There was no chance of sleeping and I ended up in a cafe 3 blocks away trying to get 3 hours more sleep.

• 3 months later...

I remember my first time in BKK, i was going to watch thai boxing at the lumpini, i was feeling hungry and want eat somewhere is not that much noise.

In very near boxing arena was one reataurant with no noise at all, i sit and order and soonest they got my order they put music so loud that it hurt my ears!

I think the loud music/television is something what thai people really love or think its kind of nice.

• 4 months later...

You say Thai people are very peaceful. How can you be complete peaceful man for life? Who are they, a monks?

Maybe this is some kind of a trying to re-establish... you know... "the uncalm balance" on subconsciousness level.

I mean, if you live in action, you having fun with peace. If you live in peace, you having fun with action. :)

Edited by Victor_Logan

snot just Thais who are missing that vital noise-tolerance gene, I think it is all SE Asians...

And not even only SE Asians! Found already plenty of people whom I had to tell to be silent - might it have been music (mainly), discussing just in front of my appartment door (Geez, don't they have their own appartment there???) or shouting at the phone that you wonder why they use this thing instead of just using the shouting as communication means. Most of these were people ....hmm..from direction Southeast of my home city but also enough Austrians among them.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 years later...