New Car in Thailand

Admin_2

I'm pretty close to getting a 2010 Honda Jazz. I don't like the looks of it that much, but it's got a lot space without being too much like driving a big box (much like the Toyota Avanza).

I just sat in the back seat of the Honda City and imagined my dog there too...his head would have to be on my lap for him to fit in there. Add in the baby, and it just doesn't make practical sense.

The Jazz is just a bit more expensive, but I think the extra space is crucial.

On a side yet relevant note...it doesn't come with a GPS Navigator installed. I'll definitely need one. Any recommendations on where to go for that?

You might want to check on the Jazz. I've heard several times that they might be replacing it with the Fit. Similar cars, but not exactly the same.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty close to getting a 2010 Honda Jazz. I don't like the looks of it that much, but it's got a lot space without being too much like driving a big box (much like the Toyota Avanza).

I just sat in the back seat of the Honda City and imagined my dog there too...his head would have to be on my lap for him to fit in there. Add in the baby, and it just doesn't make practical sense.

The Jazz is just a bit more expensive, but I think the extra space is crucial.

On a side yet relevant note...it doesn't come with a GPS Navigator installed. I'll definitely need one. Any recommendations on where to go for that?

You might want to check on the Jazz. I've heard several times that they might be replacing it with the Fit. Similar cars, but not exactly the same.

If it's anything like the Wii Fit, then I don't want it. You probably have to push the Honda Fit yourself!!

or...

sf_flinstones.gif

I just buy the new Fiesta econetic Ford... very happy with it and use few diesel..

Very fast and confortable.

For GPS, just did buy tom tom XL, but i think Garmin is much better!

Just ennoying to hide the GPS each time you park the car... but you really do not need it all the time, so it is ok..

Car built in GPS are really too expensive...

Will think about it...

I just buy the new Fiesta econetic Ford... very happy with it and use few diesel..

Very fast and confortable.

For GPS, just did buy tom tom XL, but i think Garmin is much better!

Just ennoying to hide the GPS each time you park the car... but you really do not need it all the time, so it is ok..

Car built in GPS are really too expensive...

Will think about it...

Thanks for that. Where do you recommend buying the GPS?

I don't know much about Honda, though I have driven Toyota before.

At present, I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara which has served me nearly 5 years (since new). It served me well over the weekends, when I travel much around countrysides and rough terrain, since I have been doing much research on transportation infrastructure. So far, it has not failed me. On weekdays, I shuttle from apartment/Uni by MRT to avoid traffic congestions. However, I have been out of the country for the past 2 months, with trusted friends warming up the car daily.

In Singapore, I have a 4WD Mitsubishi Evolution and have own 3 Evolutions for the last 10 years. Good for snaking around traffic , good economy considering its turbo usage.

So far, I have not owned a GPS, but, guess I may need one soon when I embark on next research on transportation in and around Bangkok. This will be considered when I trade in my Suzuki for another new model sometime this year.

Regards

I don't know much about Honda, though I have driven Toyota before.

At present, I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara which has served me nearly 5 years (since new). It served me well over the weekends, when I travel much around countrysides and rough terrain, since I have been doing much research on transportation infrastructure. So far, it has not failed me. On weekdays, I shuttle from apartment/Uni by MRT to avoid traffic congestions. However, I have been out of the country for the past 2 months, with trusted friends warming up the car daily.

In Singapore, I have a 4WD Mitsubishi Evolution and have own 3 Evolutions for the last 10 years. Good for snaking around traffic , good economy considering its turbo usage.

So far, I have not owned a GPS, but, guess I may need one soon when I embark on next research on transportation in and around Bangkok. This will be considered when I trade in my Suzuki for another new model sometime this year.

Regards

Thanks for the advice...I've owned one Honda and one Nissan before this...loved them both.

My first car was a Honda, though it wasn't really mine (Daddy let me borrow it a couple days per week during high school). I never had any issues with that one or the one I owned, so I have nothing but good thoughts when it comes to Hondas.

alternatively you can get Garmin on your Touch HD...

or upgarde to the HD2 and get the optional car kit (if you need a stand) and free Tom Tom software

Thanks for the first bit of advice...that's about what I was expecting to pay, so that 50k price tag from Honda took me by surprise.

Regarding getting GPS on my HD Touch...I think I'll leave the phone and GPS separate since I use my phone for other things quite often.

The 2nd hand car market here is absolutely insane. I don't see much point in getting a nicer used car than downgrading a bit and getting a 2010.

2005 Honda Accord with 70,000 miles on it for over $20,000 USD?!! bwahahahahaaa.

I've been shopping around and it's going to be a new Honda or Toyota (Civic, City, Avanza, Vios).

And what's with no dealerships having test drive models? I had one lady with a straight face tell me "If there is a problem with the new car after you buy it, you can replace it with a new one...so you don't need to test drive."

I test out a 25,000 baht phone before I buy it...call me crazy.

i must admit the Avanza is starting to grow on me...

Definitely up there on my list as well.

Price and space are right...Toyota is a good name.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know much about buying a car here in Thailand, but I'm beginning my studies by buying a 70 baht magazine and asking everyone here.

Basically...I have a baby on the way, and my days taking taxis are going to decrease drastically. I'd prefer a new car only because I don't trust anything else here (maybe someone on TF can change my mind). The problem is I have about 150-200k baht to deposit on a car, so buying a new car with cash is out of the question.

Buying a used car isn't completely out of the question, but I'm a newbie when it comes to this (I trust a new car). My first instinct is to put 200k down on a new Honda Civic and make monthly payments.

That's where I'm at. Any help?

Believe me don't buy a second hand car in Thailand.A new car is a better solution.AS you are a foreigner, you can only buy a new car by cash but if you have a Thai wife you can use her name to buy then you can make a choice to pay montly.

I don't know much about buying a car here in Thailand, but I'm beginning my studies by buying a 70 baht magazine and asking everyone here.

Basically...I have a baby on the way, and my days taking taxis are going to decrease drastically. I'd prefer a new car only because I don't trust anything else here (maybe someone on TF can change my mind). The problem is I have about 150-200k baht to deposit on a car, so buying a new car with cash is out of the question.

Buying a used car isn't completely out of the question, but I'm a newbie when it comes to this (I trust a new car). My first instinct is to put 200k down on a new Honda Civic and make monthly payments.

Believe me don't buy a second hand car in Thailand.A new car is a better solution.AS you are a foreigner, you can only buy a new car by cash but if you have a Thai wife you can use her name to buy then you can make a choice to pay montly.

Good advice, though cars do not have the same rules as land for foreigners in Thailand. I was able to buy a new through my name, and will make monthly payments on it.

Oh yeah, as a bit of closure to this thread...I bought a 2010 Honda Jazz (Honda Fit). I'll be getting it next month!

Good advice, though cars do not have the same rules as land for foreigners in Thailand. I was able to buy a new through my name, and will make monthly payments on it.

Oh yeah, as a bit of closure to this thread...I bought a 2010 Honda Jazz (Honda Fit). I'll be getting it next month!

Cool Rob ...and Yoma is happy too!

Enjoy and only safe trips!

Toyota is a good name.

used to be a good name !!! :roll: :roll:

lol, what?

Just because the accelerator pedal sticks to the floor sometimes and the brakes don't react RIGHT when you step on them?

Man up, live and die on the edge. Drive Toyota.

:wink:

That reminds me of a radio show or something that was giving away a free Toyota on April 1st about a decade ago It was for the first caller who got some stupid question right.

A girl got it, and they sent her a 6 inch tall Star Wars Yoda action figure!

A toy Yoda.

:lol::lol::lol:

Here it is...it was an ex-Hooters employee!

toy-yoda-toyota-20080609-105623.jpg

"PANAMA CITY, FLA. -- A former Hooters waitress here settled her lawsuit against franchisee Gulf Coast Wings Inc. over its alleged deception in promising a new Toyota as a sales prize but instead rewarding her with a new "toy Yoda" doll.

Ex-server Jodee Berry, 27, now can "pick out whatever type of Toyota she wants," her attorney, David Noll, was quoted by the Associated Press as saying. However, he would not disclose the settlement's details. After winning the beer sales contest last May, Berry quit her job and sued for breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation.

A manager was quoted as saying the contest was an April Fools' Day joke."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_21_36/ai_86481954/

Good advice, though cars do not have the same rules as land for foreigners in Thailand. I was able to buy a new through my name, and will make monthly payments on i

Infact I like Honda jazz but I got Chevrolet Aveo LT.It consumes a lot.Happy with a new car na kha.

Good advice, though cars do not have the same rules as land for foreigners in Thailand. I was able to buy a new through my name, and will make monthly payments on i

Infact I like Honda jazz but I got Chevrolet Aveo LT.It consumes a lot.Happy with a new car na kha.

Not consuming a lot of gas was high on my list...However, having enough space for 3-4 people AND a dog was also up there. I assume that after I have a second child, I'll have to get a bigger car.

The Jazz is nice because all of the seats fold down nicely to accommodate a lot of my space needs. Baby and dog come first.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up getting the Garmin Nuvi 205 wide screen for GPS. It arrived today from a company called Gadget Trend.

It's pretty easy to use...and I don't see major differences between the Nuvi 215 and this one except for the extra 4000 baht on the price tag and blue tooth capabilities.

http://www.gadgetrend.com/gps_nuvi205w.php

The company was pretty helpful and fast, though no one there speaks English. After reviewing their webpage I called, told them what I wanted, transferred payment via ATM, and it arrived at my house the next day...with an unsigned and undated warranty card...

:twisted:

Hopefully the Jazz will arrive next week as it's starting to get difficult for Jeab to move around at times. :(

Congratulations on your new car and GPS. Good choice on GPS, I have one myself and I can't dirve anywhere without it. When is the party? :D

Well, you wont have any trouble finding the party will ya!? :lol: :wink:

But ya might have trouble getting back home!

You are not by any chance endorsing drinking and diving, are you? :shock:

6072000_15d925ae1c.jpg

Congratulations on your new car and GPS. Good choice on GPS, I have one myself and I can't dirve anywhere without it. When is the party? :D

Well, you wont have any trouble finding the party will ya!? :lol: :wink:

But ya might have trouble getting back home!

You are not by any chance endorsing drinking and diving, are you? :shock:

6072000_15d925ae1c.jpg

No way...if you puke down there it clouds up the water and all the fishies get mao.