Saying " Sorry "

KingLing

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"'Face' refers to two separate but related concepts in Thai and Chinese social relations. One is mianzi and the other is lian, which are both used commonly in everyday speech rather than in formal writings.

Lian is the confidence of society in a person's moral character, while mianzi represents social perceptions of a person's prestige. For a person to maintain face is important with Thai and Chinese social relations because face translates into power and influence and affects goodwill. A loss of lian would result in a loss of trust within a social network, while a loss of mianzi would likely result in a loss of authority.

To illustrate the difference, gossiping about someone stealing from a cash register would cause a loss of lian but not mianzi. Repeatedly interrupting one's boss as he is trying to speak may cause the boss a loss of mianzi but not lian."

"'Face' refers to two separate but related concepts in Thai and Chinese social relations. One is mianzi and the other is lian, which are both used commonly in everyday speech rather than in formal writings.

Lian is the confidence of society in a person's moral character, while mianzi represents social perceptions of a person's prestige. For a person to maintain face is important with Thai and Chinese social relations because face translates into power and influence and affects goodwill. A loss of lian would result in a loss of trust within a social network, while a loss of mianzi would likely result in a loss of authority.

To illustrate the difference, gossiping about someone stealing from a cash register would cause a loss of lian but not mianzi. Repeatedly interrupting one's boss as he is trying to speak may cause the boss a loss of mianzi but not lian."

Good info mate. Never heard that explained this way before. Interesting.

I think also, in Thailand especially, a persons ego is one of the most important things and VERY sensitive indeed. I saw a survey done a few years ago here which ask Thai people what their top 10 most important things to them were. Ego came out top, even above family and money.

I think also, in Thailand especially, a persons ego is one of the most important things and VERY sensitive indeed. I saw a survey done a few years ago here which ask Thai people what their top 10 most important things to them were. Ego came out top, even above family and money.

In essence for a Thai person to say " I am sorry " would be very hard to do and in doing so it would be neither Lian or Mianzi................

In essence for a Thai person to say " I am sorry " would be very hard to do and in doing so it would be neither Lian or Mianzi................

Honey is a lot easier to say for thai girls

I don't wanna hear, I don't wanna know Please don't say you're sorry I've heard it all before And I can take care of myself I don't wanna hear, I don't wanna know Please don't say 'forgive me' I've seen it all before And I can't take it anymore You're not half the man you think you are Save your words because you've gone too far I've listened to your lies and all your stories (Listen to your stories) You're not half the man you'd like to be Don't explain yourself 'cause talk is cheap There's more important things than hearing you speak You stayed because I made it so convenient Don't explain yourself, you'll never see

I don't wanna hear, I don't wanna know Please don't say you're sorry I've heard it all before And I can take care of myself I don't wanna hear, I don't wanna know Please don't say 'forgive me' I've seen it all before And I can't take it anymore You're not half the man you think you are Save your words because you've gone too far I've listened to your lies and all your stories (Listen to your stories) You're not half the man you'd like to be Don't explain yourself 'cause talk is cheap There's more important things than hearing you speak You stayed because I made it so convenient Don't explain yourself, you'll never see

Talk to me softly

There is something in your eyes

Don't hang your head in sorrow

And please don't cry

I know how you feel inside I've

I've been there before

Somethin is changin' inside you

And don't you know, SweetieBabie

And please remember that I never lied

And please remember

how I felt inside now honey

You gotta make it your own way

But you'll be alright now sugar

You'll feel better tomorrow

Come the morning light now, SweetieBabie

Give me a whisper

And give me a sign

Give me a kiss before you

tell me goodbye

Don't you take it so hard now

And please don't take it so bad

I'll still be thinkin' of you

And the times we had... SweetieBabie

Some people just don't have "sorry" as part of their vocabulary. Is saying "Please accept my apologies" the same as saying sorry? Not for me......I want to hear the word sorry!

I did get a sorry when my ex gf cheated on me! But it did not prevent me from not giving her a second chance!

And a lot of times they will try and flip the table on you. They screwed up, and that's ok. We all make mistakes.

But then if you press them to apologize so you can move on, it turns into a big freakin' deal, and the apology might come out as "I'm sorry, now are you happy?!"

I wonder who is wearing the pants in the house ????? :)

Baby Boy :)

And a lot of times they will try and flip the table on you. They screwed up, and that's ok. We all make mistakes.

But then if you press them to apologize so you can move on, it turns into a big freakin' deal, and the apology might come out as "I'm sorry, now are you happy?!"

Oh... how I know that situation TOO well. Many times it was me who ended up apologising just to stop the ******* drama.

If it were Jeab pulling that BS, for sure she wouldn't be my wife!

If it were Jeab pulling that BS, for sure she wouldn't be my wife!

Yoma is in the house :)

Yoma is in the house :)

Boss Yoma :)