cycling routes Bangkok, Thailand, mountain/off road?

flox

Question

anyone can advise some nice cycle routes? near bangkok or further off, i don't have a car but can cycle distances or take on train to get somewhere etc.

i am not a racer rather take time exploring the area with camera in a bag and enjoy mostly off the beaten track, be it small roads or off roads, so would love to hear about any good mountain bike tracks nearby too

more fun together so if you head out anywhere and like a partner then let me know.

thanks

12 answers to this question

thanks guys

beej : both areas very high on my list haven't been there yet but thought mostly for trekking hmm need to back the bike and just see i guess

Gorgeous: yep and like taking the trains too especially the slow ones for all the snacks offered at every stop, but need time lol

funky house : yes there is some but not that much and surprisingly little specifc, there seems a lot more in Thai but my progress learning is even slower than the slow trains ...also was hoping there might be someone here to join with.

Neutron : have been there and is lovely but kind of not far/big enough for a full day or weekend trip ....and after going there 3 times i wonder where else to go???

any other ideas appreciated, if you know anyone going out ..?

cheers :D

There is a bike club in Bangkok that do Khao Yai, but I've never tried... as I hate people.

Then you should join mate, let down everyones tires in the middle of Khai Yai and ride away into the sunset!

You should check the previous bike ride sin BKK thread which is somewhere back in General perhaps early to mid last year.

1) Koh Kret in Pakkret is a great enjoyable ride around the only island in the river. Weekdays are good if you want less crowds than the weekend market. Getting there is a hassle but you can catch a river ferry from Saphan Taksin to Pakkret after 3pm which gives you a couple of hours to ride before sunset. Taxi back?

2) Puttha Montthon has many areas but especially the main large park off Sai 4 with the largest standing Buddha. Lots of ponds, trees and flower gardens.

3) Catch the train from wong wian Yai to Mahachai (Samut Sakhon) then cross the river and go for a ride either aimlessly or along the river.

4) If you can hold your nose Klong San Seab now nearly has a walk/bike path the whole distance (still incomplete last time I checked) from Pratunam to Bangkapi and the section from north of Phectaburi road is nicer and more interesting. The new section from Bangkapi to Miniburi (not complete) is worth an explore esp once the new ferry service opens. You can throw your bike on the ferry at any time assuming it is not peak hour.

5) The area around Chareonsri Market just off Klong Bangkokyai in Thonburi is really interesting. There is a bunch of wats, some schools and most interesting is the numerous cargo houseboats which reside in the klong (I forget the name but can look it up) which runs to the west towards. You can ride west to Puttha Montthon or even Nakhon Pathon. Easy to get there now as just catch the BTS to Wong Wian Yai station and ride along Ratchaphruk, turn right into Soi 19 to get to Thoet Thai rd then take soi 26 or 28 to your right just near the Wuttahakat rd intersection.

6) if you can get to Samut Chedi opposite Samut Prakhan (cross river ferry) there are some nice areas to ride around from the Pagoda south along Suksawat.

7) The largely undeveloped and treed area of Phra Pradaeng (the spit in the river opposite Klong Toey Port) is interesting and if you go off variosu parts of Phetchchaheung rd there are some interesting and also slightly scary places to get lost in. Apparently this area is one of the favoured for disposing of bodies and body parts by hitmen/mafia so you never know what you might find. (Technically is it now the rivers second island after a small inlet was made under the new Industrial ring bridge).

8) anywhere out east or northeast around the numerous klongs is worth a day trip but very hard to get there out of the BKK middle suburbs.

My good friend Simon has cycled many many routes in Thailand, and all throughout SE Asia.

He had documented many of his trips (diary/maps) on his website.

He has a wealth of knowledge about cycling in Thailand, and could be the best person to contact.

Just checked his website, and it appears to be down at the moment.

I'll chase him up and find out what happened to it.

Anyway, the web site is www.silkwheels.com

If you google it (silkwheels cycling) you will come across a few of Simons cycling diaries from his trips.

Best I can do until the site is back up and running again.

Happy cycling.

1) Koh Kret in Pakkret is a great enjoyable ride around the only island in the river. Weekdays are good if you want less crowds than the weekend market. Getting there is a hassle but you can catch a river ferry from Saphan Taksin to Pakkret after 3pm which gives you a couple of hours to ride before sunset. Taxi back?

A correction here.

I found out a few weeks ago that since the opening of the new government complex on Chaeng Wattana the river ferry is now running both ways during the Mon-Sat peak periods. It only stops at 12 stops from N1 (Saphan Taksin) to N33 (Pakkret) and takes 1 hr & 10 mins.

The schedule is basically as follows;

N1 to N33:

6:15 - 8am, 7 services (every 15-20 mins),

3:30pm to 6:05pm, 8 services (every 20 mins)

N33 to N1:

6 - 8:15am, 10 services (every 15 mins)

3:30 - 5:30 , 5 services (every 30 mins)

So now it is very easy to visit Pak Kret for a days bicycle visit!

And in todays Pos FYI ;

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra has decided to add more routes to the project started by his predecessor Apirak Kosayodhin. Under the project, bicycles are available free of charge for tourists wanting to cycle around Rattanakosin Island, the city's old quarter.

However, the number of tourists using the service in the project's initial phase fell short of target due to mass rallies, staged first by the yellow-shirt People's Alliance for Democracy and followed by the red-shirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship.

In the first nine-month phase starting in August 2008, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) set a target of attracting 50,000 people to the project but fewer than 10,000 used the bicycles. The BMA reduced the number of bicycles in the second phase due to the poor initial demand. Originally, 300 bicycles were put into service but the number was reduced to 120.

There are five "bike stations" - at the Grand Palace, Phra Pinklao, Santichaiprakarn Park, the City Hall's Lan Khon Muang ground and Suan Saranrom Park - where bicycles can be picked up. Now, the BMA's culture, sports and tourism division, which is responsible for the project, will expand the service to cover Thon Buri area in May.

The Thon Buri bike route originates beneath Phra Pinklao. From this area, people can cycle along Arun Amarin Road and visit tourism sites along the route. Cyclists will pass the Wat Dusitaram community where they can visit the Royal Barges Museum, before crossing Arun Aamarin Bridge to visit the Siriraj Medical Museum at Siriraj Hospital. The route will end at the Princess Mother Memorial Park.

"The Thon Buri bike route covers about 6km," said the division's director Somsak Chantawattana. "We have no plans to link the Bangkok and Thon Buri routes because we don't want people to ride bikes across Pinklao Bridge. "People should leave the bikes on the Bangkok side and take a boat across the Chao Phraya River before continuing on the Thon Buri side." The BMA had contracted Master&More Co for 9 million baht to provide 300 bicycles for the project.

Mr Somsak said the BMA has continued the project's work around Rattanakosin Island by hiring the same firm for 1.9 million baht for four months. The contract, signed last month, expires in May. The bikes will be available from 10am to 6pm on weekdays and 10am to 8pm on weekends at the stations.

Thais who want to borrow bicycles under the project can simply leave their ID cards with staff at the stations. Foreign tourists are required to leave their passports for a bicycle. Mr Somsak said there have not been any accidents involving bicycle users since the project was launched. Under the contract, people using the project's bicycles are insured by Master&More.

The BMA will stage a cycling event on Valentine's Day tomorrow. Participants will cycle their way along historic routes starting from the Suan Saranrom Park. The event runs from 7.30am until noon.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/32810/cyclists-get-bma-route-boost

113180.jpg