Travelling Via Train ?

Visage

Question

Ill be back in BKK in Feb, few nights then off to visit brother that lives just outside Khon Kaen, I normally fly, however this time I was thinking to go by Rootfai,check out scenery take a few pics etc, i know it takes around 8-9hrs, but thought it might be a worthy experience. Ive not travelled by train in Thailandbefore apart from BTS, anyone travelled this route or similar journey?

Is it worth doing?

Any opinons or advices would helpfull

Thanks

Marko

12 answers to this question

I cant help you there. But it sounds a good idea to do. See how the scenery changes.

A friend of mine set of from here (London) and went by train to see how far he could get without having to get on a plane. He had it planned that he could get as far as Thailand. He was planning to go for 3months, I havent heard from him since. Hope hes alright.

Big it up Lenny! (Bit off topic I know)

I cant help you there. But it sounds a good idea to do. See how the scenery changes.

A friend of mine set of from here (London) and went by train to see how far he could get without having to get on a plane. He had it planned that he could get as far as Thailand. He was planning to go for 3months, I havent heard from him since. Hope hes alright.

Big it up Lenny! (Bit off topic I know)

Fair play to Lenny, what an experience :)

Actually the trains are pretty boring... they are slow, cramped, noisy and dirty.

The scenery isn't that great because it's so flat. I've done several long journeys by train (in fact I'm going to Chiang Mai with family in a couple of weeks' time) but for the price and time, it's better to fly.

I'll be using a first-class sleeper room - and the only reason I'm doing it is my family believe they will enjoy it... I'm printing my 'Told-you-so' cards so I can save my voice.

Actually the trains are pretty boring... they are slow, cramped, noisy and dirty.

The scenery isn't that great because it's so flat. I've done several long journeys by train (in fact I'm going to Chiang Mai with family in a couple of weeks' time) but for the price and time, it's better to fly.

I'll be using a first-class sleeper room - and the only reason I'm doing it is my family believe they will enjoy it... I'm printing my 'Told-you-so' cards so I can save my voice.

Thanks EB, I had it in the back of my mind there maynot be a great deal to see, looked into sleeper option to, still might give a try and Fly the return.

thanks the advices pal

Thanks EB, I had it in the back of my mind there maynot be a great deal to see, looked into sleeper option to, still might give a try and Fly the return.

thanks the advices pal

Sorry - to be fair - the Death Railway through Kanchanarburi is worth doing - great countryside and interesting historical trip.

Yeah looked at Death rail myself, was gonna give it ago on way back poss & Tiger temple (but heard mixed reviews)

i love travelling by train. the scenery is real great but my route it to the south though.

in the end of the year, somewhere around Prachuapkhirikhan..the rice get riped (Nov-Dec)..can you imagine the golden sunrise kissing the rice fields? somehow it can be annoying with the delay. my destination is generally 6-7 hrs from BKK but that day it took 12 hours! but it was not that bad to know new people on that trip : )

sometimes i get an old train, or sometimes new. the food is sometimes good, or can be "mai aroi loeeiiii" but i still like it anyway.

and somewhere around at Bangsapaan (about an hour from Hua Hin), you can see the beach along the rail road too ^^

now life is even easier as we can buy a train ticket online 2 months ahead of the tour date : D

i love travelling by train. the scenery is real great but my route it to the south though.

in the end of the year, somewhere around Prachuapkhirikhan..the rice get riped (Nov-Dec)..can you imagine the golden sunrise kissing the rice fields? somehow it can be annoying with the delay. my destination is generally 6-7 hrs from BKK but that day it took 12 hours! but it was not that bad to know new people on that trip : )

sometimes i get an old train, or sometimes new. the food is sometimes good, or can be "mai aroi loeeiiii" but i still like it anyway.

and somewhere around at Bangsapaan (about an hour from Hua Hin), you can see the beach along the rail road too ^^

now life is even easier as we can buy a train ticket online 2 months ahead of the tour date : D

Interesting and thanks for the contrasting impression...I was considering it a few months ago, but backed away. Now, maybe so, next time. i like the idea of meeting other travelers. :)

Good 'Bump'!

For the Chiang Mai trip I booked 6 beds in 3 rooms for the first class carriage. However, there were only 5 people, so one bed I really didn't need.

I didn't mind the extra expense because I wanted a comfortable, private room.

However, when we boarded the train, there was no first class.... "Cancelled." The guard told me. But I could get a refund in Chiang Mai.

The train moved out of the station for a few kilometres... and stopped for an hour.

Then we moved a few more kilometres and stopped for another hour.

The journey was long, slow, uncomfortable, expensive, noisy, dirty and unsafe. It took SEVENTEEN HOURS!!!! To Chiang Mai? I could ******* jog it faster!

And when I went for my refund, of course they wouldn't refund the cost of the extra unused bed... which I only bought because I WANTED FIRST ******* CLASS!!!

I will NEVER NEVER travel by a train in Thailand again... NEVER.

(We flew back from Chiang Mai in less than 70 minutes.)

the more age you get, the more fussy you become.

relax when you are on a trip, and spare enough time..otherwise you won't get any fun out of it ; )

believe in what you have seen and done, not from what other people tell...

Don't believe her... she obviously works for the rail company.

When you have travelled half way around the world, fill your time wisely. Do as many things as you can. Don't spend 17 hours in a metal box hoping no-one will steal your belongings.