Business in BKK

Stramash

Now I wouldn't have posted this, but recall a few comments in a thread recently about how difficult it was to find a good haircut in BKK.

One of my friends was talking last night about mybe relocating to Bangkok.

He works in a traditional barbers shop (well he is half partner) which offers haircuts and old fashioned shaves.

He is wondering how succesful opening a traditional barbers shop in BKK would be?

He is obviously mainly aiming for the ex pat community and would offer the same services as in UK.

How much would you pay for a good cut at a barbers in BKK?

Would you occasionally go for a traditional wet shave?

Where would be the best place to site a business like this?

If it seems viable, he plans on bringing couple of guys over for the first year, and training some Thais in that period.

So, what do the ex pats think?

**for obvious reasons, English Bob does not need to voice his opinion** :wink:

Despite having no hair, I will post...

I don't think foreigners are allowed to work in this position. Certain jobs are restricted to prevent Thais becoming unemployed.

That is the first thing I'd check before looking for premises.

Thanks Dave. Would this apply even if he was planning on employing and training Thai staff??

(was only joking bout the hair; you could always go for a shave)

on a side note, hoping to see your team get beat today in glorious 3D for the first time ever!!

:wink:

Despite having no hair, I will post...

I don't think foreigners are allowed to work in this position. Certain jobs are restricted to prevent Thais becoming unemployed.

That is the first thing I'd check before looking for premises.

That is what the law said. however i have seen many Japanese hair stylists working in salon around Thonglor/Sukhumvit area charging big bucks for a hair cut.

I think if you had a business that employed Thais, but was a traditional English style barber shop (complete with red and white striped pole outside etc) and offering all the old style stuff, it could do ok. But the money would be small, unless you could have your own brand of extra and something different.

For example, this is a shop just opened in Sydney called 'Mankind'. The packaging and branding is great. I'm not saying do like this, But I think having your own branded extras would give you the extra income and difference.

http://www.mankind.com.au/

Ive been getting the same TB100 hair cut for many years here, so you'd have to compete with local prices. But I would pay TB200 if it was a good western style barber shop.

You would need to locate where the maximum number of Farang are... Satorn, Silom, Sukhumvit etc

Already too much competition.

that's what he was wondering; as mentioned, I remembered a few of the BKK based ex pats complaining about not being able to get a decent haircut, and in my brief sojourns in Bangkok cannot remember ever seeing an 'English style' barbers. Are there a few?

i think he'd struggle ... but u never know. it costs me a fiver for a haircut/shave back home ... can get it for 60-100 baht here !!!

that's what he was wondering; as mentioned, I remembered a few of the BKK based ex pats complaining about not being able to get a decent haircut, and in my brief sojourns in Bangkok cannot remember ever seeing an 'English style' barbers. Are there a few?

i think he'd struggle ... but u never know. it costs me a fiver for a haircut/shave back home ... can get it for 60-100 baht here !!!

But for your head they do it at 40% off!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol::lol::lol:

But for your head they do it at 40% off!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol::lol::lol:

it's f**king unreal back home ... it takes 2 minutes to shave my head ... still costs a f**king fiver !!!

I think if you had a business that employed Thais, but was a traditional English style barber shop (complete with red and white striped pole outside etc) and offering all the old style stuff, it could do ok. But the money would be small, unless you could have your own brand of extra and something different.

For example, this is a shop just opened in Sydney called 'Mankind'. The packaging and branding is great. I'm not saying do like this, But I think having your own branded extras would give you the extra income and difference.

http://www.mankind.com.au/

Ive been getting the same TB100 hair cut for many years here, so you'd have to compete with local prices. But I would pay TB200 if it was a good western style barber shop.

You would need to locate where the maximum number of Farang are... Satorn, Silom, Sukhumvit etc

Good input Marc thank you. The idea of branded products is a really good one, especially given the prices he would have charge for cuts and shaves.

At the moment he is really just bouncing ideas around and to be honest, the barbers idea is probably my fault as I mentioned there had been some negative comments made on TF about the quality of men's hairdressing over there.

He just does not want to go down any of the 'traditional' farang business ideas if he does move to Thailand, and, as he has been in this business over 20 years, it seemed like a good idea.

Will feed back all comments to him. Thanks for all constructive ones!!

:)

What you see is the typical shop you see most everywhere - nothing really special about them. You go in, someone shampoos your hair, someone cuts it, somemone shampoos again, the person who cut it looks at it and maybe does a little more. Quality of the cut depends on where you go.

As mentioned your friend could probably own a shop, and then employ locals. But as I said, there are already a lot of shops around. But then again, if he does it right, good marketing, etc, maybe will work. Who knows...

Eveyone who lives in BKK has been into one of the Central malls. They've seen how many hair shops there are. And, they've seen that some are always crowded, while others the staff is just standing around. Good marketing, good stylists? Who knows :roll:

What you see is the typical shop you see most everywhere - nothing really special about them. You go in, someone shampoos your hair, someone cuts it, somemone shampoos again, the person who cut it looks at it and maybe does a little more. Quality of the cut depends on where you go.

As mentioned your friend could probably own a shop, and then employ locals. But as I said, there are already a lot of shops around. But then again, if he does it right, good marketing, etc, maybe will work. Who knows...

Eveyone who lives in BKK has been into one of the Central malls. They've seen how many hair shops there are. And, they've seen that some are always crowded, while others the staff is just standing around. Good marketing, good stylists? Who knows :roll:

Argument does seem to be against his chances, which is why I asked for feedback. Though I think you misunderstand the type of business he was thinking of; it's not a hair salon with stylists and colourists and frivolous discussions about relationships!! It would have been a traditional style barber shop (red pole and all as Marc mentioned). High quality (very) cuts for men as well as traditional shaves with cut throat razor. I know hair salons are ten a penny (or baht) in BKK. I was interested if there were any of this style of barbershops???

Argument does seem to be against his chances, which is why I asked for feedback. Though I think you misunderstand the type of business he was thinking of; it's not a hair salon with stylists and colourists and frivolous discussions about relationships!! It would have been a traditional style barber shop (red pole and all as Marc mentioned). High quality (very) cuts for men as well as traditional shaves with cut throat razor. I know hair salons are ten a penny (or baht) in BKK. I was interested if there were any of this style of barbershops???

Not that it means much, but you do see the red pole once in a while. But, just as a marketing technique. I understand your point - a barber shop versus 'stylist'. It might work, but I still think they would need something that would attract peopel to the shop. Oh, and one other thing - location, location, location...

Not that it means much, but you do see the red pole once in a while. But, just as a marketing technique. I understand your point - a barber shop versus 'stylist'. It might work, but I still think they would need something that would attract peopel to the shop. Oh, and one other thing - location, location, location...

That's always important and a very good point. I liked Marc's idea of some branded products as a selling point, though would imagine that would need a decent investment.

Very early stages just now. Think he may do a trip just to look at possibilities though. Have told him if he ends up buying a bar, I will slap him!! :lol:

hoping to see your team get beat today in glorious 3D for the first time ever!!

Sitting in a bar full of dirty hippies in Pai, whose only Thai is "beer Singha Khrap"

Still 20 minutes to go, I might be jumping the gun, but I bet you're regretting writing that '3'.

what's worse than seeing your team get whipped??

Seeing your team whipped in 3D!!

Once again, when it comes to the crucial games, we fall short of what is needed.

But, defeat aside, what was my opinion of 3D tv??

Well there was a delicious irony in the venue; Belushi's Bar, and with the whole bar in dark glasses it looked just like a Blues Brothers' convention!!

It did look good, especially remembering that the 3D films and some of the coming programmes are especially made for this format (things 'flying' toward you off the screen etc)

That said, was a whole different experience. Picture went a bit funny once or twice, but did (other than the score) thoroughly enjoy the experience.

For those in England, your 6 Nations rugby games are being shown at many Odeons so may be worth popping along.

They definitely seem to have got it right; here's to many more games in 3D (with more favourable scores for us)

Well done Dave; imho, that makes the title a 2 horser.

:D

• 1 year later...

hmmm i dont think its so easy...

I know a very good hair stylist in Bangkok, and a few google searches and you cant go anywhere without seeing them there...

its THE CORNER SALON in silom run by Paweerada - shes quite well known to the ex pats who dont want to endure a Thai mullet and also dont want to get ripped off in Tony and guys..

The barber shops are not really where you can expect to get a good cut unfortunately, i will always do a bit of research and go with a salon instead. They know hair better than a barber does, and especially since the westerner type hair is different.

You really do need someone who knows the difference between thai hair and wants, and the farang expectations and hair.

As for making a business here... i dont think its so easy... i often quiz Paweerada about her business when im in her shop... You really do need to be a Thai i think...

It is real hard to compete with my barber on Ratchaprarop just before soi 14, or the other 5 in the immediate area. Haircut, or shave is only bt60, and he does know how to cut foreigners hair.

This is typical of most of the barbers in Bangkok unless you go to the tourist areas then you will pay upwards of bt200, the typical foreigner markup. Stay in the Thai neighborhoods, and barbers are good, cheap, and everywhere. You will go broke trying to compete with them.