Vietnam

Treborz

Anywhere south of HCM with a nice beach and a little nightlife?

Or is Na Trang the place to go?

Don't think we'll have time to do the North as well but i really want to visit Halong bay so ill see what I can do.

Always hard to give advice when the info of the OP is limited. Halong Bay is a must and though it is cold this time of year you at least dont have many visitors so can get good deals.

Any trip to Vietnam from HCM should ideally involve trips visiting Dalat in the mountains, Hoi An and Hue. The Mekong Delta is also a must.

If beach is a priority then go to Phu Quoc Island and you'll find great beaches, nature and not too many crowds. If beach and nightlife is your main thing then Mui Ne is probably the go as it has a good diverse mix of visitors and activities.

If time is limited then do fly to Na Trang and spend a few days there but the beaches are as good (ok though) and your nightlife opps are limited to the Sailing Club on the beach and a couple others places. Some great restaurants in Na Trang. You could also fly up to Danang as the beaches are on par as Na Trang (strong waves) and then visit both Hoi An and Hue from there.

Hope this will be of some help.

I have travelled extensively all over Vietnam, and know it quite well.

There is nothing much of interest south of HCMC. Its the Mekhong delta, and not really worth ur time travellin too. Not much to see in the daytime, and NO (0%) nightlife.

You would be better off going upto Na Trang or Danang if you want a little bit of life on ur trip.

Dalat is also worth a visit, great scenery too.

Wouldnt bother much with Halong bay, its maybe worth a day trip, but dont waste ur time on Cat Ba island. Its dead!

Hoi An and Hue are always worth a look, but are very far from HCMC.

My favorite Vietnam trip without a doubt is the northwestern loop from Hanoi, cant be beaten anywhere in SE Asia for the scenery and the travel experience.

Contact me if you would like to know anything else, im happy to help.

Justin

Anywhere south of HCM with a nice beach and a little nightlife?

Or is Na Trang the place to go?

Don't think we'll have time to do the North as well but i really want to visit Halong bay so ill see what I can do.

Always hard to give advice when the info of the OP is limited.

Dont see how it was limited .....i gave specific parameters ...... i asked for info south of HCM and if there was nothing that matched my criteria i offered na trang as a solution.

Thanks for the rest of your info and that of Justin_bkk .. wil bare it all in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I have traveled north to south VN a couple of times and also lived there for 2 years.

The first trip was great... the highlights were definitely in the north... Sapa an around that whole mountainous area around the Chinese border... the Northwest areas... very scenic and amazing experiences... Halong Bay.... Hoi An and Na Trang.

The cental VN food is the best IMO. All the rest gets extremely boring after a while.

After living there 2 years, I now hate the place. For me there is nothing there that you cannot find MUCH better in Thailand or Malaysia etc.

As to the OP question, there is no nightlife outside HCMC and I wouldn't rate any beaches near there either.

I'm going to Hanoi next month... (holiday plus a visa trip).

Never been to Vietnam before so advice was gratefully received.

It'll be another journal I expect...

My only advice would be to keep your eyes peeled for rips offs, bag snatching and general petty theft. Motorbike drive-bys are common, especially at intersections in city centers. All the usual scams you get in Thailand are there too.

Other than that.. have a great time.

In Hanoi, you can find some great cafes (French influence) in lovely old shop houses... fresh, warm baguettes etc.... and Vietnamese coffee.. done in their style is awesome.

vnesecoffeedrip.jpg

I'm going to Hanoi next month... (holiday plus a visa trip).

Never been to Vietnam before so advice was gratefully received.

It'll be another journal I expect...

Got a little hint regarding traffic, there are a tonnes of motorbikes and a quite a few cars rolling by all the time, the motorbikes will adjust as long as you just walk, dont stop just walk in the same pace, then it works like a charm.

For cars you stop though and wait, ive been told they will stop too if its serious, but havent had the guts to try it. anything above cars, dont stop.

Maybe you are pros from thailand, i just found it very different from what ive tried in thailand, and normally the first day in HCM i feel abit like im about to die when i have to cross the road, but at the end of the day it gets normal.

unfortunately i havent travelled around yet just been working in HCM do cant advise very well on what to see.

But the lack of thai smiles are felt i think.