CV - how does this work in Thailand?

barsie

Question

I'm not talking about Foreigners looking for work in Thailand, but Thai's looking for work.

In UK to even speak to someone about a job regardless of how low it is you need a CV to get an interview.

If a thai is looking for work do they usual do a CV or something similar? This surely would be advantageous.

What is the thai word for CV or the equivalent?

I'm looking to do a CV for my TGF but not sure whether to do it just like i'd build a CV in the uk or thai style.

All info thoughts would be helpful, cheers

21 answers to this question

I'm not talking about Foreigners looking for work in Thailand, but Thai's looking for work.

In UK to even speak to someone about a job regardless of how low it is you need a CV to get an interview.

If a thai is looking for work do they usual do a CV or something similar? This surely would be advantageous.

I'm looking to do a CV for my TGF but not sure whether to do it just like i'd build a CV in the uk or thai style.

CV's are fairly similar, though they almost always include school transcripts as well. They also are expected to bring in copies of photo ID's and usually attach a photo to the CV as well.

The photo has to make him or her look really white.

In Thailand they totally strictly about schooling even if you are not smart but you will have better opportunity to get a job, unlikely the smart one who has no schooling...

I thought that. It makes you think a little bit of a fake CV would work amazingly well. Fact that they hire idiots with degrees rather than doing real interviews.

Would a thai CV be in English or Thai, i'm thinking if it was in perfect English that would be seen as better.

CV or Resume is important if you want to apply for a job.

As Gorgeous mentioned is also true but actaully it depends on company that you want to apply for too..

If it is Thai company.. yes.. degree and the name of the university is something they would mind to look.

The state univerisities will be a plus.. And the more famous your university is.. more chance for you to get a job.

Some of big Chinese-Thai companies are more freaky..

They also look at you appearance which is called "â˧ÇàÎé§" (physiognomy) to see who will be able to work in which positions.. It is weird but true..

But if you want to apply for foreigner company.. the name of university might not be so important. But experience will be the one that counts.

And the references are also important.

In Thailand they totally strictly about schooling even if you are not smart but you will have better opportunity to get a job, unlikely the smart one who has no schooling...

Yes.. Thai education cares about the grade and the test..

But not what we have learned..

We love to remember but not think..

Pity that it is like that..

CVs are standard everywhere. Just the usual works of fiction. Major difference in LOS is that the more pages the better, whereas in the Uk 2 pages is the max - or even just one page if you are senior.

When I got my job there, I of course supplied names & details for referees. But they said that i should supply copies of testimonials. An invitation to fraud.

CV is important... make sure nothing there is fake. I once saw a guy in the same company being thrown out a week after he started working, because he faked his CV.

It might sounds great to make a perfect CV for ur gf, but once she's in the interview and things don't turn out to be as beautifully crafted as the CV, she won't get a job anyway.

I don't encourage anything longer than 2 pages. Put in all experiences, if that's too much then only select the best ones to present. I normally have my CV in American style and it works pretty well for me.

If she cant make her own CV, she wont qualify for the job.

Not really I can pretty much guarantee that everyone who has posted in this thread don't have a perfectly structured CV. I had what I thought was a very good CV- then a senior headhunter worked on it for me and totally changed it.

An intelligent capable person isn't necessarily a competent CV writer.

CV or Resume is important if you want to apply for a job.

As Gorgeous mentioned is also true but actaully it depends on company that you want to apply for too..

If it is Thai company.. yes.. degree and the name of the university is something they would mind to look.

The state univerisities will be a plus.. And the more famous your university is.. more chance for you to get a job.

Some of big Chinese-Thai companies are more freaky..

They also look at you appearance which is called "â˧ÇàÎé§" (physiognomy) to see who will be able to work in which positions.. It is weird but true..

But if you want to apply for foreigner company.. the name of university might not be so important. But experience will be the one that counts.

And the references are also important.

It is so true what you stated above since I experienced every processes and

found it pretty hilarious about how much HR guys believe on what hunters

wrote, but it is like a game anyway . That is why most of forieng companies

( money related business ) do want "reliable" references. In addition, if you

once applied for working abroad, they needed much more so called

background screening process. Anyway I trade my energy for there "money"

so I have to admit it.

CV's are fairly similar, though they almost always include school transcripts as well. They also are expected to bring in copies of photo ID's and usually attach a photo to the CV as well.

The photo has to make him or her look really white.

i can remember one job i had here a few years ago and we were hiring a receptionist and office manager. we only looked at girls and we screened CV on the photo alone, then with a short list looked at the CV data itself. in the end we got an amazingly beautiful girl who could answer the phone and usually transfer correctly but neither us nor anybody who came to the office cared at all about her ability to think. She was perfect for the job.

in the end we got an amazingly beautiful girl who could answer the phone and usually transfer correctly but neither us nor anybody who came to the office cared at all about her ability to think. She was perfect for the job.

There are also a few jobs in the world that girls dont have to think..

Just know when and how to spread..

The pizza makers.

They know when and how to spread the cheeze on top of the pizzas...

Dont you think too much!

A good CV can easily be 100% true, but it's about painting what you have done in best possible light and laying it out correctly.

Recruitment consultants normally work on the basis of using a highlighter skim reading and looking for key words. Simply insert key words you know they are looking for- hey presto interview.

You have to admit there is a certain beauty to the western way. I once got a job and they never asked for my CV until after I had signed the employment contract. Then again, it was a very niche industry and very performance driven so you would not be able to stick around too long if you weren't able to produce results.

I am not sure what the "western way " is... :?

But having worked for a number of multi-nationals and consultants--- they all required a detailed resume' ...with references.

( except a consultantship whose principle I had gone with, to graduate school)

- no more than two pages-

As for headhunters each one has had their own HIGH opinion to how a resume was to be constructed and formatted

(beauty is in the eye of the beholder :wink: ) although, once I had a well written one there seemed too me only minor adjustments...

Know your audience ( the hiring manager)...and be able to speak in confident detail to what it says... then as Bill says -- ya got to perform

I am not sure what the "western way " is... :?

But having worked for a number of multi-nationals and consultants--- they all required a detailed resume' ...with references.

( except a consultantship whose principle I had gone with, to graduate school)

- no more than two pages-

As for headhunters each one has had their own HIGH opinion to how a resume was to be constructed and formatted

(beauty is in the eye of the beholder :wink: ) although, once I had a well written one there seemed too me only minor adjustments...

Know your audience ( the hiring manager)...and be able to speak in confident detail to what it says... then as Bill says -- ya got to perform

Depends on your career and your position. In my experience, after a certain level your resume isn't even relevant. More along the lines of, do you think Steven Spielberg needs to submit a resume to get a directing job? Not that I'm comparing myself to SS but I'm just trying to make the point that if you've been successful in the past your CV is pointless.

The best piece of advice I could ever give anyone new in their career is to network constantly. Not like some buffoon at a mixer handing out his card to anybody who will be polite to him but get to really now people in your industry. Build up a reputation. Help other people out. Even if they're your competitor, throw them a job candidate that your company doesn't have an opening for. Introduce them to someone pitching a product or idea that your company might have passed on.

That's what will open doors for you. When the dotcom crash came in the early 2000's, I saw all these people getting hammered financially. No jobs were available anywhere. But I had a steady stream of consulting gigs coming in when those around me couldn't give away their services. Why? Because I helped a lot of the people giving me work get their job or they had worked with me before and knew what I brought to the table.

During the boom times I used to have lunch or dinner literally every day with someone that was trying to get into the industry. Maybe it was a sitcom writer who wanted to get into writing original content on the internet or maybe it was some friend of a friend of a friend who was working in the IT department of some bank and hated his job and wanted to do something exciting and new. Whatever, it didn't matter. I would have lunch with them, get a feel for them, and if they seemed like a solid person I would make some phone calls and set them up with other people I knew in the industry who might be able to hire them or at least guide them.

Like I said, it's about career and position. Past a certain point on the corporate ladder everybody tends to know everybody else. If they don't know you they can pick up a phone and in 5 minutes talk to someone who does.

One of the last jobs I had before moving to Thailand I flew from LA to Europe for the interview. During the interview my future boss kept asking me about if I knew this person or that person. They were all people I had worked with at different companies back in the US. He had also worked with many of those people but at different companies. I could tell he had already spoken to these people about me. If they hadn't spoken highly of me I wouldn't have been even been offered the interview.

At the end of the interview future boss said to me "You know you already had the job before you walked in the door. I just wanted to make sure you weren't an a**hole." haha, of course the joke was on him since I am :-)

If you're working in a general mid or low level job then your CV might be important. It might also be useful if you're changing careers. But even then, having hired literally hundreds of employees over the years, I rarely pay attention to the CV. Some hiring managers have no clue what they're doing and go strictly by the CV but . . . those aren't people I would want to be working for in the first place :-)

The best piece of advice I ever received regarding how to hire people is from a former boss of mine who said "At the end of the interview, you have to ask yourself, is this someone I could sit next to on a four hour cross-country flight. If not, it doesn't matter how qualified they are. If so, you can always train them if they need additional skills."

Like I said, not every hiring manager is like that but I don't think I could ever work for anyone who after 20+ years of experience cares what the name of the university I attended is or what font my CV was written in.

"

If you're working in a general mid or low level job then your CV might be important. It might also be useful if you're changing careers. But even then, having hired literally hundreds of employees over the years, I rarely pay attention to the CV. Some hiring managers have no clue what they're doing and go strictly by the CV but . . . those aren't people I would want to be working for in the first place :-)

The best piece of advice I ever received regarding how to hire people is from a former boss of mine who said "At the end of the interview, you have to ask yourself, is this someone I could sit next to on a four hour cross-country flight. If not, it doesn't matter how qualified they are. If so, you can always train them if they need additional skills."

For the most part, I agree but it rarely happens in Thailand( particulary jobs that require spefic skills proven), since CV and letter of recommendation will do its important role ,even someone got verbally recommendations.

CV can show what research papers you wrote and how much experinces in the area you have exposed to, then references do confirm what you have writen are somewhat true.

Although the upper level such as CEO, CIO ,or MD can be negotied on the table or during business lunch ,it is still the way of CV labeled on the person because theire reputaions are exhibited for almost 20 years in the business and everyone knows it well.

I can see what you wrote is that people believe in yourself for bring good people to their companies so it rarely make any difference in job hunters themself;given theire skill indifferently.

"

For the most part, I agree but it rarely happens in Thailand( particulary jobs that require spefic skills proven), since CV and letter of recommendation will do its important role ,even someone got verbally recommendations.

CV can show what research papers you wrote and how much experinces in the area you have exposed to, then references do confirm what you have writen are somewhat true.

Although the upper level such as CEO, CIO ,or MD can be negotied on the table or during business lunch ,it is still the way of CV labeled on the person because theire reputaions are exhibited for almost 20 years in the business and everyone knows it well.

I can see what you wrote is that people believe in yourself for bring good people to their companies so it rarely make any difference in job hunters themself;given theire skill indifferently.

Exploring touches more to my point- the resure' is the "calling card" that gets you the party invite (the interview)... I understand yourexamples Bill at very hifg levels or niche' professions yes (like hiring by the company's owner who a school mate)

...but many type of work do require a set of skill and/ or experiences - some that have be kept up to date ( the IT field most noteable in these years) - that might be verrified before consideration.

-- and Barsie's point on rough cutting cadidates using keywords is on the mark also --- even mid-level jobs may see a hundred applications these days

BUT these are my USA thought ...and I am totally ignorant on Thailand's --

which I think was the orginal question...I'll stop ...and listen :shock: