Cambodian human rights

Stramash

Human Rights Watch is calling on the Cambodian government to permanently close down its compulsory drug detention centres.

Cambodian drug users are at risk of ‘arbitrary detention’ in centres where they are frequently tortured and raped, according to a new report based on extensive interviews with former detainees. The official function of the centres is treatment and rehabilitation. However punishments documented in Skin on the cable – the illegal arrest, arbitrary detention and torture of people who use drugs in Cambodia include beatings, rapes, forced labour, electric shocks and being chained in the sun.

Detainees also describe having to survive on rotten or insect-ridden food and being forced to donate blood. Many of the inmates are arrested without reasonable cause, often on the request of a relative or as part of a police round-up of ‘undesirables’, and have no access to a lawyer. The centres are also used to detain children and people with mental health issues. Last year DDN reported from the International Harm Reduction Agency (IHRA) conference in Bangkok, where speakers described mass roundups of drug users, sex workers and the homeless for detention at a former Khmer Rouge execution centre (DDN, 4 May 2009, page 9).

‘The real motivations for Cambodia’s drug detention centres appear to be a combination of social control, punishment for the perceived moral failure of drug use, and profit,’ states the report. ‘Individuals in these centres are not being treated or rehabilitated, they are being illegally detained and often tortured,’ said director of Human Rights Watch’s health and human rights division, Joseph Amon. ‘These centres do not need to be revamped or modified. They need to be shut down. Drug dependency can be addressed through expanded voluntary, community-based, outpatient treatment that respects human rights and is consistent with international standards.’

Skin on the cable available at www.hrw.org

(article from 'Drink and Drugs News' February 1st 2010)

symptom of the current TF malady? Lesbian jokes get replies but a thread on human rights sinks slowly into oblivion?

:roll:

was knocked off the front page mate ... grim stuff !!!

I know; I should have slipped some **** into the article or a barely obscured nippple, or indeed perhaps mentioned that these camps are being run by Israelis!!

:wink:

Drug addicts .. they need help.. and that is what they got in there????

I doubted it.. how much UN can do in Cambodia..

On the other hand,

In Danmark from 1st of January..

Heroin addicts can receive the doses of diamorphine for free from the state.

And this actually works. If you look at the promedpro system in Switzerland, this is exactly what they have been doing for well over a decade.

And as a result; crime is down, number of new addicts are down, HIV and other BBV transmission is down, deaths by overdose are down.

There was a pilot scheme in Liverpool around 20 years ago where they tried that for a year - the crime rate fell 700%!!! (though being Liverpool was still higher than anywhere else)

I think the concern with the Cambodian story (on which our Cammy expert is rather quiet) is that the camps are also being used as a dumping ground for unwanted children and those with mental health issues.

It was only 4 decades ago that this was common practice in the West; people with mild mental health issues, adolescents who were promiscuous or committing low level crime and those with learning disabilities, werre often dumped in psychiatric hospitals and forgotten about.

I know; I should have slipped some **** into the article or a barely obscured nippple, or indeed perhaps mentioned that these camps are being run by Israelis!!

Both nipples and Israelis are same hot!!!

How about Israelis' nipples? :shock:

Only if I can post a pic of the really hot Muslim girl I saw in a hijab the other day.

She was showing some nose.

ya batch wont leave my weedken alone :evil:

Wot i've heard about those centers were pretty much illegal and abusive. But our government never have enough time to really look over on this matter that had been raised so many times.

Hope the pressure from international HR will push those centre to close down.

Once I went to Aranyaprathet with my BF for his visa run there were 6-7 Cambodian kids with umbrellas and some noise around us only a few seconds the smallest kid was run off to the border and the bigger ones were following then we found out our cellphone and wallet had gone...

I was running after them suddenly, someone called me to stop doing that, it was a soldier he said "you cant beat Cambodian kids whatever they do bad to you but you cant reply" then he pointed his hand to the big label "The Situation of Children and Women"

I read and thought "damn! they robbed me in my country but what I can do is just watching them"

Once I went to Aranyaprathet with my BF for his visa run there were 6-7 Cambodian kids with umbrellas and some noise around us only a few seconds the smallest kid was run off to the border and the bigger ones were following then we found out our cellphone and wallet had gone...

I was running after them suddenly, someone called me to stop doing that, it was a soldier he said "you cant beat Cambodian kids whatever they do bad to you but you cant reply" then he pointed his hand to the big label "The Situation of Children and Women"

I read and thought "damn! they robbed me in my country but what I can do is just watching them"

ya should've get em back by reporting to police without laying yr hands on em.

Wot i've heard about those centers were pretty much illegal and abusive. But our government never have enough time to really look over on this matter that had been raised so many times.

From the sounds of the reports Kunny, it's the government who are running them!!

From the sounds of the reports Kunny, it's the government who are running them!!

Yes, But we talking about big government here... those places have run by only bunch of people under the name of the big one.... and my uncle did know all about this but pay no mind on people who been abuse.