Travel Alone

Chatty

:( Hrrr... It seems like I have to be in Japan "alone" I thought I would go with my friends but we can't match our vacation days... I need atleast 7 - 10 days, it's hard to manage indeed... so I told my friends that I might go there alone, it might be better....

So now my dad just worried about me cuz I never been to abroad... and Japanese can't speak English well and I can't speak Japanese well. I think I almost forget Japanese Langauge... grrrrrrrrrr...I can't believe I threw away a year study Japanese hrrrrrrrr.

Anyway, I know many member here travel alone... so I have some questions which are;

1. Should I get package tour or not?

I know my cousins and my aunty are there... but not sure they will have time to take me place to place... my budget is about 50000 baht included air tickets, right now is about 26000 baht so i will have only 20000 baht to travel, yeah I got free place to stay... but I might have to pay for transportations. Actually, my cousin will let me borrow her car, but I can't drive around Japan for sure.

The package tour I have found is 48900 from 8-13 April if 16-21 April price will be go down 469000

Included visa, air tickets, hotels, transportation, food

2. In case I'm going there as a backpacker, is it hard to go from place to place alone? and it's worth in? It will be more expensive or not?

3.In case I go for package tour, does anyone know if I wanna extend staying there, I need to see my niece and nephew as well... might stay with them for 3-4 days. Can I do that?

4. Will I look "na song sarn" ? I never travel alone before in my life... I might feel lonely but it will be my new experience if I can meet new people.

5. In case of the women, have anyone here travel alone? what does it feels like?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Traveling alone ................

I have been traveling for over 30 years now and mostly in businese or1st class.

The 1st thing to always keep in mind when traveling alone is SAFTEY.

Research your destination as much as possible.

Since you have relatives there that would help but if they don't have much time for you then I would recommend a tour group to show you around.

As for packing I recommend that you pack light as possible depending on the season at your destination for instance snow, rain etc.

You can always go shopping to adjust to the climate.

As for money, I recommend that you enjoy yourself as much as possible even if it's just a few dollars more. After all your there to have a good time and thinking spending just a few dollars more would only spoil the moment of that time.

Last but not least, always keep a emergency fund put away somewhere just enough so that if something does go wrong you have enough money to get you somewhere or for help.

Relax and have a safe and enjoyable trip :)

Pai duay di, :D

I joined tour package when I went to Singapore ( 1st time), Bali and China. Because if you go somewhere like Bali, you need transportations and China you need tour guide. The rest I all by my own ( but meet up at the destination ) I liked it every trips I had. As P' Kling said, Safety is the main concern to me. Travelling alone can spicy up your excitment during trip

I've travelled to places by myself but only after I've been their previously. I have been told english is not widely spoken in Japan so I would recommend a tour and it is a good way to meet people. But not Contiki style, if you know what happens on Contiki tours :)

Firstly just clarify with your relatives if they are able to take you around while there if not and if within your budget (the accountant in me) then I would suggest a tour would be great. :)

nong ONE

well Japan is very very safe ...for women too...might be an issue late at night around bars where drunks may bug you-just be aware of your surroundings

The Japanese are helpful to strangers, but I found them very shy about their use of English--even when they were very skilled.

Public transport is very often in English (more so than in Thailand I thought) so it is pretty easy find trains, buses sights and hotels.

Maybe you can find a group to go to "THE Sights" with...then split off on your own for half the time? IN the US packages that include airfare are difficult to extend because they buy the tickrts all togeather to get the discount.

BUT there are alot of TFers in the travel business...so ask (PM) them for advise on the best way to work it from Bkk.

Most of all GO

If that is a dream trip! You might get a bit lonely but if you with a group there are bound to be some good people to know....then see your relatives-right?

I spent almost three weeks in Thailand on my own (couple of nice short visits with a TFer or two)...love the expience - but I travel on business alone often, so it was no big deal... You ARE Miss Chatty !! It will be great. :)

Come visit Hawaii !!!!!

That would be a great experience for you :)

with King there !!! ...that sounds dangerous!! :lol: :wink:

lol p'King will be nice to me for sure...

as I'm his (little) sister.

yeah but he will falling in a deep sleep after 5mins talking to ya :lol:

or I might fall asleep... I think he is quite talkative.. :twisted:

I joined tour package when I went to Singapore ( 1st time), Bali and China. Because if you go somewhere like Bali, you need transportations and China you need tour guide. The rest I all by my own ( but meet up at the destination ) I liked it every trips I had. As P' Kling said, Safety is the main concern to me. Travelling alone can spicy up your excitment during trip

Jing di... it's great if you join me...lol

I might set high expectation.. just wanna see Sukura, stay in Reokung, I wanna try Onsen... eat delicious ramen... and yeah I wanna see Shinjuku.

no need to see Disneyland, Shopping

Jing di... it's great if you join me...lol

I might set high expectation.. just wanna see Sukura, stay in Reokung, I wanna try Onsen... eat delicious ramen... and yeah I wanna see Shinjuku.

no need to see Disneyland, Shopping

Jing.. but You have let me borrow your money first. I promise i will pay back within 12 years. :D

Anyway, I want to visit Osaka.. dont like big city like Tokyo.