Pound takes a beating

Treborz

Well isn't this lovely, not only am i greeted by headlines of bomb attacks but also that the £ has hit a ten month low vs the Baht.

It has also crashed against practically every other currency today including a 25 year low against the aussie dollar. Last time i looked it was hovering around the 48 baht mark. I know it's going back a while but my first trip to Thailand in 2005 i was getting around 70 baht to the pound.

My question is, how is the Thai baht not weakening at the same time with the current political turmoil in the country?

My holiday in 2 weeks has just become a little more expensive :(

I don't know how it has faired against the Vietnamese Dong because i don't know the historical rates but i'm guessing it's the same story. Are USD as widely used in Vietnam as they are in Cambodia or is that a stupid question given the history?

Well isn't this lovely, not only am i greeted by headlines of bomb attacks but also that the £ has hit a ten month low vs the Baht.

It has also crashed against practically every other currency today including a 25 year low against the aussie dollar. Last time i looked it was hovering around the 48 baht mark. I know it's going back a while but my first trip to Thailand in 2005 i was getting around 70 baht to the pound.

My question is, how is the Thai baht not weakening at the same time with the current political turmoil in the country?

My holiday in 2 weeks has just become a little more expensive :(

I don't know how it has faired against the Vietnamese Dong because i don't know the historical rates but i'm guessing it's the same story. Are USD as widely used in Vietnam as they are in Cambodia or is that a stupid question given the history?

The pound is going to stay that weak till at least June. As current polls show Labour would win but with no overall majority, the uncertainty of what that will do to the rate of economic recovery is going to mean a poor pound until at least after the general election.

Now here's Bob with the weather...

:D

if it struggles into the Fall..

maybe us poor Americans can afford to tee it up in Inverness :wink:

Scotland may be independent by then and only letting you Americans tee off if you sign an undertaking to get Donald Trump fired...or burned on the stake will just as well do. :wink:

:twisted:

Scotland may be independent by then and only letting you Americans tee off if you sign an undertaking to get Donald Trump fired...or burned on the stake will just as well do. :wink:

THE Donald has nearly done himself "in" a couple of times

(too bad he cannot aim better when he is shooting himself in the foot)

--but I will have my pen ready--that flesh smell---not so good :wink:

--independance you say !!! hummm.... my Scots ancestors

( esp. one named Wallace) have tried that any number of times...maybe they need some American "know-how" -- we did figure it out a couple of hundred years ago. :P

--- consulting on this might fund my trip :D

THE Donald has nearly done himself "in" a couple of times

(too bad he cannot aim better when he is shooting himself in the foot)

--but I will have my pen ready--that flesh smell---not so good :wink:

--independance you say !!! hummm.... my Scots ancestors

( esp. one named Wallace) have tried that any number of times...maybe they need some American "know-how" -- we did figure it out a couple of hundred years ago. :P

--- consulting on this might fund my trip :D

ach the only bastards complaining about Trump's golf course are some stingy Aberdonians! Independence still a few years off, though if the Tories get in, it may happen quicker!

:lol:

• 1 year later...

Well the DOLLAR may go down the drain now... what is a Yank looking for a holiday to do???

looks like Thailand is out (for many reasons now)...

where to go...Scotland ....nah the GBP is scary!!!

oooooahhh.... Ireland?? ON the rocks!! but I don't drink enough ;)

Greece??? crushed on the Rosks --way worse than us... Scary they may be kidnapping soon

Italy !!!! on the Rocks ---here we go...great food too. damn EURO ...

well might be the best anyway

Any suggestions TFer's

signed

(a once leading economy) :P

Edited by DANNO

Why not try Aus is practically 1 for 1 on currency.

A friend recently went to the US he was surprised how cheap it was. In fact it was so cheap he went twice, go GBP!!

Although the baht needs to weaken big time, street food now costs 50p instead of 30p. Damn it.