Bangkok Mar 12-14

bigKus

Seem its not easy to stay calm with what going to happen in BKK this weekend.

I received forward mails of UDD plan and announcement from police to avoid places and streets which UDD will rally pass by. Despite the news from Presses which keep releasing people view points and predictions.

The most panic warning is from TRUE, I guess because of their business and political oriented views. ( They warned their staffs to store gas full tank in car and store foods enough for 3 days etc. )

What is your plan this weekend ? If your plan to getaway outside BKK, check UDD rally route first na ja. !

:)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seem its not easy to stay calm with what going to happen in BKK this weekend.

I received forward mails of UDD plan and announcement from police to avoid places and streets which UDD will rally pass by. Despite the news from Presses which keep releasing people view points and predictions.

The most panic warning is from TRUE, I guess because of their business and political oriented views. ( They warned their staffs to store gas full tank in car and store foods enough for 3 days etc. )

What is your plan this weekend ? If your plan to getaway outside BKK, check UDD rally route first na ja. !

:)

True's e-mail was worded in a funny way (as per the wife's translation). It recounted all that has gone on recently and then they stuck in a note towards the end saying all will be ok but it's advisable "to avoid inconvenience" to have enough gas and food in case local stations and supermarkets get shut down or blocked.

Whatever. My car hasn't arrived yet and I have an underground secret passageway to Admin's place if I get thirsty.

I'm in a True coffee shop all week...I only see one exit. What to do?

Wish I was in BKK now, I kinda like it when things turns crazy with a bit of anarchy hehe. But I don't want any people to get hurt, and no closing of the airport please.

Mr "Mark" will be hiding in a bunker, the Reds bringing in "a million" people (with trucks and buses?) Maybe it's not a bad idea to stock up on food, beer and cash.

Well good luck folks, be careful ok!

Can someone give me a quick update on the situation? Last I heard there were 7 bombings at some banks.

What's the latest?

A few branches of the Bangkok Bank have been targetted in the last couple of weeks with small explosives devices (granades in 2 cases I believe) and I think only a couple of minor injuries from glass fragments though others may correct me.

It might sound strange but it is really nothing to worry about and one would have more chance of falling over in your bathroom and decapitating yourself than being injured in a bank at the mo. (I should disclose that I have Bangkok Bank accounts)

Honestly, who doesnt want to set off an explosion at their bank given the fees most of them charge. :roll:

Wish I was in BKK now, I kinda like it when things turns crazy with a bit of anarchy hehe. But I don't want any people to get hurt, and no closing of the airport please.

On the airport front, you may wish to note that the AOT supposedly has a contingency plan in place. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/171049/thai-airport-reveals-protest-contingency-plan

However, having a plan in place and implementing it are two different things as shown with the PAD shutdown of both airports when the AOT had the plan to use Don Muang as a back up. I doubt the UDD will go for the airport as the business community and general public could not tolerate the loss of face for a second time. (And there is no way the UDD could be disciplined like the PAD were; for example remember that not one item of duty free was reported stolen during the PAD shutdown which I still find amazing).

We are all a bit precious about the airport indicative of our modern expectations and socio-economic status but the reality is that the world did not end when the airport shut down last time and there are many other alternative transport arrangements. Frankly, if one was going to be stuck anywhere in the world Bangkok and Thailand has to be near the top of the list.

As a general rule being informed and avoiding key locations will mean a hassle free time. Last Songkhran it was easy to avoid the Red Shirts mayhem for example if one didnt live near Victory, Din Daeng nor Th. Phectaburi soi3. Plenty of farang would have been in their bubble blissfully unaware of what was going on in a few small areas of the city whilst their family/friends back home watched CNN or BBC assuming that the whole of BKK was in flames.

We see images on TV and assume a whole city is involved but rarely is that the case. Think Paris riots Nov 05 or Athens last year. Knowing where not to be on Sat and Sunday is the key but really it is more a logistical issue of avoiding crowds than anything else. Thet wont get 1 million but most people are going to be country folk that we all like and would probably agree with many of their greivances so nothing to worry about. Only a very small minority will be the ideologues and nasty guys looking for a fight.

I would suggest but there is more pressure on the UDD and PT to ensure violence doesn't take place than there is on the govt to contain any violence. That being said there are those who want to stoke the flames and try to create a period of chaos for their own ends. Sporadic, isolated incidents are possible but something more widespread it seems is unlikely in the current environment.

Unless your a UDD / Thaksin fan you may wish to avoid the gathering places indicated on this Post graphic just from the point of view that traffic will suck in these areas:

120879.gif

Got forward mail from my friends

µÑé§áµèÇѹ·Õè 11 ÃÕ¹Ò¤à ·Ø¡Çѹ àÇÅÒ 6 âçàÂç¹ËÅѧà¾Å§ªÒÔÔµÔä·Âã¹ÇÔ·ÂØ¡ÃèÒÂàÊÕ§¨ºÅ§

ªÒÇ¡Ãا෾ú¹·é綹¹¨ÃÃèÇáѹºÕºáµÃöÂÒÇà»ç¹àÇÅÒ 1 ¹Ò·Õ

à¾×èÃáÊ´§¤ÇÒÃäÃèàËç¹´éÇ¡Ѻ¡ÒêØùØâçàÊ×éÃᴧ㹤ÃÑ駹Õé

ö¹µìËÅÒÂáʹ¤Ñ¹º¹·é綹¹¡Ãا෾êèǧàÂ繨ôѧ¢Öé¹¾ÃéÃáѹ

ãËéÊӹѡ¢èÒÇ·ÑèÇâÅ¡ÃÒÃÿѧ¡Ò÷ÓÃÒÃÂâѴ¢×¹¢Ã§ªÒÇ¡Ãا෾Ãà»ç¹¤ÃÑé§ááã¹ âÅ¡

àÃҨ÷Óàªè¹¹Õé·Ø¡ÇѹËÅѧà¤Òþ¸§ªÒµÔ 18.00 ¹.

¨¹¡ÇèÒàÊ×éÃá´§¨ÃàÅÔ¡ªØùØà àÃÒãËé´Ñ§¡éçâÅ¡àŤÃѺ

ã¤ÃàËç¹´éÇ¡Ѻá¹Ç¤Ô´¹Õéâ»Ã´âËǵáÅû¯ÔºÑµÔµÒÃâ´Â¡ÒúպáµÃáÅÃÊè§á¹Ç¤Ô´¹ÕéµèÃä»´éǤÃѺ ´èǹ à´ÕëÂǨÃäÃè·Ñ¹

µéçà´×ôÃéùàÊÕ§´Ñ§á¤èÇѹÅà 1 ¹Ò·Õ (µÃ¹âËèäÅèÂѧ¹Ò¹¡ÇèÒ¹Õé) ´Õ¡ÇèÒÃÃãËéà´×ôÃéù¸ØáԨàÊÕÂËÒÂËÅÒÂÇѹ¨Ò¡¡ÒêØùØäÃѺ

Good idea na...

Can someone give me a quick update on the situation? Last I heard there were 7 bombings at some banks.

What's the latest?

A few branches of the Bangkok Bank have been targetted in the last couple of weeks with small explosives devices (granades in 2 cases I believe) and I think only a couple of minor injuries from glass fragments though others may correct me.

It might sound strange but it is really nothing to worry about and one would have more chance of falling over in your bathroom and decapitating yourself than being injured in a bank at the mo. (I should disclose that I have Bangkok Bank accounts)

Honestly, who doesnt want to set off an explosion at their bank given the fees most of them charge. :roll:

Thanks LakeGeneve... much appreciated. Didn't think I had anything to worry about, but didn't want to be in the dark either :)

Glad that I'm going to Phuket 12-14 Mar.

Hope they won't close the airport!!!

No Problem if they close the airport - you just take a nice long bus trip back! :puke_right:

I think I am going to fly to Chiang Mai in the morning and avoid the traffic chaos of the next 3 days.

I won't mind if the aiprort closes once I am in CM as it will be nice to stay there longer.! :wink:

As previously mentioned, the main problem over the next 3 days is going to be transport and logistical with roads being closed and crowds blocking areas. Some major intersections such as Wong Wian Yai, Laksi and Bang Na are going to be closed from tomorrow and most najor E-W & N-S routes in Phra Nahkon District are going to be closed - protecting most of the govt offices, police metro & the Generals Army HQ around Th Ratchadamnoen Nok .

Thus Friday afternoon peak hour is going to suck even more than usual esp if you live past Latphrao.

From the Nation;

Mar-11-bangkok-map2600.jpg

Thus Friday afternoon peak hour is going to suck even more than usual esp if you live past Latphrao.

From the Nation;

I cant see much from the map above but as I live in Ladprao, so will refer to your post to ask my boss for work only half morning on Friday .. thanks ! :D

From the Nation;

I cant see much from the map above but as I live in Ladprao, so will refer to your post to ask my boss for work only half morning on Friday .. thanks ! :D

p'Tu,

33 hot spots.

I think they are not far from your place and work place na, yeah quite near my workplace nana.

1ÈÒÅ¯Õ¡Ò The Supreme Court, Sanam Laung

2ÈÒÅÃÒ­Ò The Criminal Court, Ratchada

3 ¸¹Ò¤Òà ¡Ãا෾ ÊÕÅà Bangkok Bank Silom

4 ¸¹Ò¤Òà ¡Ãا෾ ¹Ò¹Ò Bangkok Bank Nana

5 ¸¹Ò¤ÒáÊÔ¡Ãä·Â ¹Ò¹Ò Kasikorn Nana (next to my work place)

6 ¸¹Ò¤ÒÃä·Â¾Ò³ÔªÂì ʹ§ãË­è Siam commercial bank

7 ¾ÃúÃÃËÒÃÒªÇѧ Grand Palace

8 þ ÈÔÃÔÃÒª Siriraj Hospital

9 àÃà¨ÃÃì ÃѪâ¸Թ Major Ratchayothin

10 ºÔê¡«Õ ÃÒªºÙóà BigC Ratchaburana

11 à«ç¹·ÃÑÅàÇÔÅì´ Central World (There is BKK jazz fest, Damn it)

12 à«ç¹·ÃÑÅÅÒ´¾ÃéÒÇ Central Ladproa

13 µÅÒ´ ¾ÃÒ¹¹¡ Pran nok Marker (near Siriraj Hospital

14 µÅÒ´ ÃÕ¹ºØÃÕ Minburi Market

15 µÅÒ´ ´ÒǤùç Dao Kanong Market

16 µÅÒ´ »Ñ°Çԡóì Patawikorn Marker

17 á¡ ÃÃسÃÑÃÃÔ¹·Ãì Arun Amarin intersection

18 á¡ ÃèÃà¡ÅéÒ (ÊÕèá¡) Rom Kloa intersection

19 á¡ à¡ÉµÃ¹ÇÃÔ¹·Ãì Kaset Nawamin Intersection

20 á¡ à¡ÉµÃ¹ÇÃÔ¹·Ãì µÑ´ÅÒ´»ÅÒà¤éÒ Nawamin Ladplakao junction

21 á¡ à¡ÉµÃ¹ÇÃÔ¹·Ãì µÑ´ÇÑ´»ÃôÔÉ°ìùٸÃÃà Nawamin Praditmanoondham junction

22 á¡ ¹ÇÃÔ¹·Ãì Nawamin Rd.

23 á¡ ¹ÃÒ¸ÇÒʵѴÊÕÅà Naratiwat - Silom juntion