Bangkok Mar 12-14

bigKus

Glad that I'm going to Phuket 12-14 Mar.

Hope they won't close the airport!!!

No Problem if they close the airport - you just take a nice long bus trip back! :puke_right:

I think I am going to fly to Chiang Mai in the morning and avoid the traffic chaos of the next 3 days.

I won't mind if the aiprort closes once I am in CM as it will be nice to stay there longer.! :wink:

Good for you guys na kha...

For me, I work for healthcare business... so we should stay in BKK.

In case of something bad.. in case of disaster happen I must be there... at the hospital.. one thing I have to do keep my phone batt. charged and keep it with me.

That's right 24 hrs. ALERT!!

I pray, there will be nothing bad happen tomorrow, I hope they will be peaceful protest.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 hot spots.

I think they are not far from your place and work place na, yeah quite near my workplace nana.

1ÈÒÅ¯Õ¡Ò The Supreme Court, Sanam Laung

2ÈÒÅÃÒ­Ò The Criminal Court, Ratchada

3 ¸¹Ò¤Òà ¡Ãا෾ ÊÕÅà Bangkok Bank Silom

4 ¸¹Ò¤Òà ¡Ãا෾ ¹Ò¹Ò Bangkok Bank Nana

5 ¸¹Ò¤ÒáÊÔ¡Ãä·Â ¹Ò¹Ò Kasikorn Nana (next to my work place)

6 ¸¹Ò¤ÒÃä·Â¾Ò³ÔªÂì ʹ§ãË­è Siam commercial bank

7 ¾ÃúÃÃËÒÃÒªÇѧ Grand Palace

8 þ ÈÔÃÔÃÒª Siriraj Hospital

9 àÃà¨ÃÃì ÃѪâ¸Թ Major Ratchayothin

10 ºÔê¡«Õ ÃÒªºÙóà BigC Ratchaburana

11 à«ç¹·ÃÑÅàÇÔÅì´ Central World (There is BKK jazz fest, Damn it)

12 à«ç¹·ÃÑÅÅÒ´¾ÃéÒÇ Central Ladproa

13 µÅÒ´ ¾ÃÒ¹¹¡ Pran nok Marker (near Siriraj Hospital

14 µÅÒ´ ÃÕ¹ºØÃÕ Minburi Market

15 µÅÒ´ ´ÒǤùç Dao Kanong Market

16 µÅÒ´ »Ñ°Çԡóì Patawikorn Marker

17 á¡ ÃÃسÃÑÃÃÔ¹·Ãì Arun Amarin intersection

18 á¡ ÃèÃà¡ÅéÒ (ÊÕèá¡) Rom Kloa intersection

19 á¡ à¡ÉµÃ¹ÇÃÔ¹·Ãì Kaset Nawamin Intersection

20 á¡ à¡ÉµÃ¹ÇÃÔ¹·Ãì µÑ´ÅÒ´»ÅÒà¤éÒ Nawamin Ladplakao junction

21 á¡ à¡ÉµÃ¹ÇÃÔ¹·Ãì µÑ´ÇÑ´»ÃôÔÉ°ìùٸÃÃà Nawamin Praditmanoondham junction

22 á¡ ¹ÇÃÔ¹·Ãì Nawamin Rd.

23 á¡ ¹ÃÒ¸ÇÒʵѴÊÕÅà Naratiwat - Silom juntion

24 á¡ ÊÕÅõѴ¾ÃÃÃÒÃÊÕè (þ ¨ØÌÒ) Silom - Rama 4

25 ÊÕèá¡Êþҹ¤ÇÒ Sapankhwai

26 ÊÕèᡤÅçàµÂ Klongtoey

27 ¶¹¹ ÃÒäÓá˧ Ramkhamhaeng

28 ¶¹¹ ÃÒÃÃÔ¹·ÃÒ µÑ´ ÊØÇÔ¹·Ç§Èì Ramintra Suwintawong

29 ·ÕèÇèÒ¡Òà ¡·à Bangkok Metropolitan Administration

30 ÊǹÅØà Lumpini Park

31 Ãà »·ØÃÇѹ »ÃÔê¹à«Ê Pratumwan Princess hotel

32 ªèÒ§¡Å »·ØÃÇѹ

33 ªèÒ§¡Å ÃØà·¹¶ÇÒÂ

These were floated before but the demonstrations will be centred around Rachadamnoern Ave and maybe the Supreme Court.

Some of these sites are scaremongering - People won't go to Siriraj Hospital due to the King's health. There won't be any looting at Central World...

The Red Shirts are seriously underestimating this Government. It is better prepared, better funded and smarter than the Red Shirts. Plus the Thai general public who may not be Yellow Shirts are sick of these demonstrations... completely sick. Any violence or inconvenience is going to motivate people lose sympathy.

I think (hope) the 'Million Man March' (Jesus! Is it possible for them to have ONE original thought? Just once?) will be under-represented and very unsuccessful.

From the Bangkok Post:

The red-shirts of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship will increase the pressure on the government if it does not accede to their demand for a House dissolution by Sunday, Natthawut Saikua said at a press conference on Thursday.

The UDD leader said red-shirts from throughout the country would journey to Bangkok on Friday and Saturday.

They were due to arrive in the capital on Satuday evening, when a main protest stage would be set up at Phan Fa bridge.

The rally would officially begin at noon on Sunday when UDD leaders would read out a statement demanding the government of the aristocratic elite dissolve the House of Representatives and hold a general election.

If the government failed to respond to the demand by Sunday, the UDD would begin to step up the pressure.

On Monday, the red-shirts - and there would be over a million of them by then - would scatter to points all over Bangkok.

Mr Nathawut said if the government still did not bow to their demand, the red-shirts would up the level still further - but he would not give any details.

No, there won't be a million of them, but it only takes a few hundred, or even less, to incite trouble.

I'm not too bothered (in bed with a leg in plaster) but I've got friends here all weekend, staying next to Lumpini and working in Wong Wian Yai, they also fly out on Monday.

I can feel the headache all over again.

Last time they were here they missed their flights because of the airport lockdown.

The UDD are suffering... this is their last gamble. And they are gambling... tons of money to try to get a country in return.

But Thaksin isn't bankrolling all this... he couldn't... he wouldn't.

Local UDD guys are being asked to front the money... on the understanding they will get it returned in future.

But they haven't been reimbursed for previous demonstrations such as Pattaya and they are dissatisfied.

There are about 100 grass-roots leaders, all of whom have been trying to raise 10 million baht a day for the demonstrations. But with money flowing only outwards, they are becoming increasingly reticent to cough up. More and more they are turning against each other and their leader.

If this demonstration doesn't work (and I don't see how it can), the money will stop rolling. The Govt only has to hold firm - and the UDD will have to fold or lose everything.

im at bang sue mrt station and there are two military guards at each door with riot gear. I think me and the som tum lady could infiltrate their safe zone.

just as I sent that, 10 more arrived. I think we'll need the coconut chopper guys to assist.

Be careful... it sounds like they are monitoring Thailand Friends...

Hmmmm

I heard that Mexican Food makes you invulnerable to Red Shirt Missiles...

(OK sit back and watch the dough roll in!)

The UDD are suffering... this is their last gamble. And they are gambling... tons of money to try to get a country in return.

But Thaksin isn't bankrolling all this... he couldn't... he wouldn't.

Local UDD guys are being asked to front the money... on the understanding they will get it returned in future.

But they haven't been reimbursed for previous demonstrations such as Pattaya and they are dissatisfied.

There are about 100 grass-roots leaders, all of whom have been trying to raise 10 million baht a day for the demonstrations. But with money flowing only outwards, they are becoming increasingly reticent to cough up. More and more they are turning against each other and their leader.

If this demonstration doesn't work (and I don't see how it can), the money will stop rolling. The Govt only has to hold firm - and the UDD will have to fold or lose everything.

Just talked about these with friend this afternoon before finished work :shock: Didnt notice that you were around near us !

Power to the people!

If there is 100,000 on the streets then that is arguably a basis for a revolution!

At this stage it seems more people are just tired of all the disruption caused by the "politics" and resigned to the fact of Thailand being run by a mainly benign JUNTA with a puppet PM posing as a democratic leader.

It is patently obvious that Thailand is anything but a Democracy and to the outside world it is a bit of a mickey mouse "political" system that is at best infantile and at worst psychotic.

The level of discourse on Thai politics is such that it would be hard not to conclude that the "middle class" and comfortable classes= rich are so delusional as to render anything they say as utter nonsense.

The military run the show in Thailand end of story! They in turn are propped up by various powerful vested interests so nothing much is going to change for the good any time soon. The so called PM is a joke/cartoon figure to the outside world and nothing more than a spoiled little schoolboy who is now a very handy puppet to be used as needed by the real power brokers within Thailand.

The real paradox is that the more these people try to run things the way they want the more likely it is that in the end the "REDs" or the movement behind them will eventually coalesce around a narrow objective of attaining power and radically changing the whole system. Just look at what happened in Nepal and you can get an indication of the type of change facing Thailand because of the lack of democracy and the devious behind the scenes going's on.

The REDs may well fail now in their objectives or even for a few more years but in the end the whole system will be torn down and replaced with goodness only knows what. And all because the more comfortable people and richer people in Thailand are so greedy and shortsighted that they done want to spread the wealth of the nation even just a little bit more than is the case at present. More equity within society = more stability and with the brainless attitudes of so many of the PAD types it looks like long term disaster and conflict is unavoidable and inevitable.

Still as Joe Cocker has said

Who knows what tomorrow brings?

In a world few hearts survive?

All I know is the way I feel.

When it's real, I keep it alive.

The road is long, there are mountains in our way,

But we climb a step every day.

Love lifts us up where we belong,

Where the eagles cry

On a mountain high.

Far from the world below,

Up where the clear winds blow.

Some hang on to "used to be,"

Live their lives looking behind.

All we have is here and now,

All our life, out there to find.

But we climb a step every day

Where the eagles cry

On a mountain high.

Love lift us up where we belong,

Far from the world we know,

Where the clear winds blow.

Time goes by, no time to cry,

Life's you and I. A life today

:lol::lol:

Power to the people!

If there is 100,000 on the streets then that is arguably a basis for a revolution!

At this stage it seems more people are just tired of all the disruption caused by the "politics" and resigned to the fact of Thailand being run by a mainly benign JUNTA with a puppet PM posing as a democratic leader.

It is patently obvious that Thailand is anything but a Democracy and to the outside world it is a bit of a mickey mouse "political" system that is at best infantile and at worst psychotic.

The level of discourse on Thai politics is such that it would be hard not to conclude that the "middle class" and comfortable classes= rich are so delusional as to render anything they say as utter nonsense.

The military run the show in Thailand end of story! They in turn are propped up by various powerful vested interests so nothing much is going to change for the good any time soon. The so called PM is a joke/cartoon figure to the outside world and nothing more than a spoiled little schoolboy who is now a very handy puppet to be used as needed by the real power brokers within Thailand.

The real paradox is that the more these people try to run things the way they want the more likely it is that in the end the "REDs" or the movement behind them will eventually coalesce around a narrow objective of attaining power and radically changing the whole system. Just look at what happened in Nepal and you can get an indication of the type of change facing Thailand because of the lack of democracy and the devious behind the scenes going's on.

The REDs may well fail now in their objectives or even for a few more years but in the end the whole system will be torn down and replaced with goodness only knows what. And all because the more comfortable people and richer people in Thailand are so greedy and shortsighted that they done want to spread the wealth of the nation even just a little bit more than is the case at present. More equity within society = more stability and with the brainless attitudes of so many of the PAD types it looks like long term disaster and conflict is unavoidable and inevitable.

Where the eagles cry

On a mountain high.

Where the eagles cry

On a mountain high.

These is the major reason why I dont like to debate TH politics with foreigner !

These is the major reason why I dont like to debate TH politics with foreigner !

You might want to point out that the song's name is 'Love Lift us up Where We Belong'.

The politics in Thailand are far too complex to sum up this way. It is important to try to understand from a Thai perspective... I don't pretend to understand how Thais feel and think.

I remember a conversation with a retired Navy Commander about corruption amongst Thai politicians. By the end of our talk, I was beginning to understand why it's so widespread and acceptable. With his description of the system, it was hard for me to imagine a way to be a politician and NOT be corrupt...

Power to the people!

Where the eagles cry

On a mountain high.

Where the eagles cry

On a mountain high.

Because in general we know and understand politics far more than you! Like how many coups have you had..... etc etc So your saying the Army dont run the show! Ah yeah and pigs fly .................

You simply don't have the capacity or the tradition and experience of political debate so it should be no surprise that you are so ill equipped to think for yourself and formulate logical and coherent political points and perspectives.

As if to underline this we can contrast my little offering with a news report about the "situation" in Thailand.

Thailand starts mobilising troops ahead of mass rallies

Thailand began mobilising 50,000 security personnel on Thursday ahead of a mass rally by protesters who have vowed to topple government.

Thursday, 11 March 2010 14:38

Thailand began mobilising 50,000 security personnel on Thursday ahead of a mass rally by protesters who have vowed to topple government if a new election is not called.

Supporters of deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra plan a mass rally this weekend, the latest bid to reclaim power by the mainly rural mass movement that has transformed Thai politics.

Thaksin allies have won two elections since 2001 only to be turfed out of power by royalist elites and military brass, including through a coup in 2006.

The "red shirts", who say Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is an illegitimate stooge of the country's political establishment and politicised military, will stage protests across the country on Friday, before converging on central Bangkok on Sunday.

"If (the government) hasn't quit by the 15th, we will march all over Bangkok. It'll be the biggest march Bangkok has ever seen," Nattawut Saikua, a "red shirt" leader, told reporters.

They plan to rally for at least seven days in what has been dubbed "a million-man march" and "an operation to halt Bangkok", although analysts doubt the group can mobilise such numbers.

A special law, the Internal Security Act (ISA), came into effect on Thursday, giving the country's top security agency broad powers to intervene.

Abhisit and his deputy, Suthep Thaugsuban, will be based at a temporary military command centre during the protest.

"If there is a siege, we would no longer consider it a peaceful protest and immediately take steps to disperse the crowds," Suthep told reporters.

Protesters have insisted their rallies will be peaceful and say the government is playing up the threat of violence to justify a possible crackdown.

Now let me guess your one of the PAD nutters? brainwashed into preoccupying yourself with a bloke by the name of Thaskin who is basically irrelevant now and in any case after he was illegally removed from his duly appointed position as elected PM anything that follows from that will always be open to the simple observation that well YOU WOULD SAY THAT WOULDNT YOU!

That is one of the main reasons why army coups are frowned upon! They undermine all subsequent actions, so even if Thaskin is the biggest crook of all [hardly the case in a country like Thailand] the fact is that there is no way in hell this could ever be believed after the coup and the various other shenanigans. Simply put he is unimportant as comp[ared to the real issues which confront Thailand.

A army coup was followed by a judicial coup and this has failed to appease enough people or win the support or loyalty or trust of enough rural people so as to allow politics to move forward or attain some level of legitimacy.

In the end the ARMY are the one in control and that will not change much until Thailand becomes a proper democracy. Something which could be years, or decades away. Outsider/ Foreigners have no axe to grind so can at least be objective. This is much harder for Thais who are in the midst of just emotive and turbulent times.

Power to the people!

Where the eagles cry

On a mountain high.

Where the eagles cry

On a mountain high.

Because in general we know and understand politics far more than you! Like how many coups have you had..... etc etc So your saying the Army dont run the show! Ah yeah and pigs fly .................

You simply don't have the capacity or the tradition and experience of political debate so it should be no surprise that you are so ill equipped to think for yourself and formulate logical and coherent political points and perspectives.

As if to underline this we can contrast my little offering with a news report about the "situation" in Thailand.

Thailand starts mobilising troops ahead of mass rallies

Thailand began mobilising 50,000 security personnel on Thursday ahead of a mass rally by protesters who have vowed to topple government.

Thursday, 11 March 2010 14:38

Thailand began mobilising 50,000 security personnel on Thursday ahead of a mass rally by protesters who have vowed to topple government if a new election is not called.

Supporters of deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra plan a mass rally this weekend, the latest bid to reclaim power by the mainly rural mass movement that has transformed Thai politics.

Thaksin allies have won two elections since 2001 only to be turfed out of power by royalist elites and military brass, including through a coup in 2006.

The "red shirts", who say Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is an illegitimate stooge of the country's political establishment and politicised military, will stage protests across the country on Friday, before converging on central Bangkok on Sunday.

"If (the government) hasn't quit by the 15th, we will march all over Bangkok. It'll be the biggest march Bangkok has ever seen," Nattawut Saikua, a "red shirt" leader, told reporters.

They plan to rally for at least seven days in what has been dubbed "a million-man march" and "an operation to halt Bangkok", although analysts doubt the group can mobilise such numbers.

A special law, the Internal Security Act (ISA), came into effect on Thursday, giving the country's top security agency broad powers to intervene.

Abhisit and his deputy, Suthep Thaugsuban, will be based at a temporary military command centre during the protest.

"If there is a siege, we would no longer consider it a peaceful protest and immediately take steps to disperse the crowds," Suthep told reporters.

Protesters have insisted their rallies will be peaceful and say the government is playing up the threat of violence to justify a possible crackdown.

Now let me guess your one of the PAD nutters? brainwashed into preoccupying yourself with a bloke by the name of Thaskin would is basically irrelvant now and in any case after he was illegally removed from his duly appointed position as elected PM anything that follws from that will always be open to the simple observation that well YOU WOULD SAY THAT WOULDNT YOU!

That is one of the main reasons why army coups are frowned upon! They undermine all subsequent actions, so even if Thaskin is the biggest crook of all [hardly the case in a country like Thailand] the fact is that there is no way in hell this could ever be believed after the coup and the various other shenanigans. Simply put he is unimportant as comp[ared to the real issues which confront Thailand.

A army coup was followed by a judicial coup and this has failed to appease enough people or win the support or loyalty or trust of enough rural people so as to allow politics to move forward or attain some level of legitimacy.

In the end the ARMY are the one in control and that will not change much until Thailand becomes a proper democracy. Something which could be years, or decades away. Outsider/ Foreigners have no axe to grind so can at least be objective. This is much harder for Thais who are in the midst of just emotive and turbulent times.

where have you been recently ? Thailand is now in post-Thaksin era. If you want to talk all bullsh*t about this guy... just talk to my hand

8)

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is an illegitimate stooge of the country's political establishment and politicised military.

Try to reclaim power by the mainly rural mass movement that has transformed Thai politics.

Protesters who have vowed to topple government if a new election is not called

As complex as any "political" situation is there are some basic fundamentals which once people have been made aware of can understand and factor into any subsequent developments.

At the end of the day all the REDS are asking for is a general election! And with the majority of the Thai people not rusting the government and IF the crowd is big enough then it is not at all unreasonable to have a general election. The fact that the current PM was effectively put in his position by behind the scenes bargaining is part of the problem which only serves to underline the undemocratic nature of Thailand today.

Let the people decide through the ballot box and then just ACCEPT THE RESULT - either way. Ab **** has had had his chance to LEAD the country and has not manage to win over the people so lets just go back to democracy and force through a democratic solution.