Living and Working in New York for a year..Need advice

Exploring

I will live ,work and study in New York city, New jersey for a year starting this April and will come back to Thailand around April 2011.I am pretty much interested in New York area and obviously I am a newbie there .So I want to ask you guys that

1. which places should I once visite when I will be there for every seasons?

2. Probably, which spots will it be dangerous at night or even days?Can I visit alone?

Thanks for your help and I am up for everythings ...night to day..historical places , musuem ,club, art, shopping malls, park.

I will live ,work and study in New York city, New jersey for a year starting this April and will come back to Thailand around April 2011.I am pretty much interested in New York area and obviously I am a newbie there .So I want to ask you guys that

1. which places should I once visite when I will be there for every seasons?

2. Probably, which spots will it be dangerous at night or even days?Can I visit alone?

Thanks for your help and I am up for everythings ...night to day..historical places , musuem ,club, art, shopping malls, park.

Oooo...lots to see and do. There isn't much that you cannot do in NYC...if you have the money :)

You will arrive in the springtime, which is perfect. NYC is a great walking city. No need for a car (parking is a headache and really expensive). Start learning the metro map now.

You're a girl, so I assume you love shopping. Check out Saks 5th Avenue, Macy's, and Bloomingdale's. For shows...there is the obvious one to start with...Broadway. I'm not sure if they still have it, but they used to have discounted tickets sold the day of the show right at the ticket counter.

Head to the Empire State building and bring a map. You can see for miles and miles, and it will help you to get yourself oriented. Times Square and Rockefeller Center are other must sees.

And then...Central Park...the Oasis. It's free and beautiful. It's a huge version of Lumpini Park, and you can bring dogs in there too :) Lots of joggers there...it's very pleasant.

NYC is very safe. I assume you'll be living in Jersey, and will head over the bridge into the city, right? Just stay in the city, and don't venture too far north at night alone (the Bronx). Though even the Bronx are really safe despite what the movies make you think, there isn't much reason to go there except if you want cheap clothes or a cheap haircut.

Just beware that New Yorkers aren't known for their friendliness, lol. It's not like in Bangkok where you'll get smiles from a group of people if you ask for directions. Basically everyone will help you if you are lost (though it's hard to get lost in a grid city). You'll have to forfeit the smiles for good information...not a bad trade.

It might look like everyone is in a rush, and they probably are. Punctuality is very important in NYC. If you meet a friend for dinner at 8:00 PM, get there 5 - 10 minutes before. If you blame it on traffic, you'll sound like am irresponsible liar.

I'm jealous of you. NYC is a great city...an endless city. Once you understand why the people are the way they are, you'll either love it or hate it. The city itself has everything...but at least in the beginning you will feel overwhelmed and flustered at times. You'll get used to it, and you might even call yourself a New Yorker by 2011 :)

1. new york city and joisey (aka new jersey) ain't the same thing. just because you can see manhattan from joisey city and hoboken doesn't mean your'e in the city.

2. "the city" always refers to manhattan ONLY. the ("boogie down") bronx, queens, brooklyn and staten island are part of new york city proper but are typically known as "the outer burroughs" (note that outer is pronounced "outta")

3. "yo" and "how you doing" (pronounced howyadoin) are proper forms of "hello."

4. eat and drink. there are many good things to eat and drink in any price range, even in "joisey." zagat guide (available in any bookstore) is OK, but word of mouth is better.

5. thai food won't remind you of thai food.

6. if you're interested in fine art (painting, sculpture etc) you're in f***ing heaven. start with MoMA (museum of modern art) and work your way out into the galleries from there.

7. CUNY (city university of New York) is actually a VERY good school if you want extra degrees etc and it's relatively affordable (no, i'm not an alum i went to an overpriced ivy league school uptown).

8. it's a hell of a town. the bronx is up and the battery's down. the people ride in a hole in the ground. new york new york, it's a hell of a town.

9. the east village (manhattan) is great for japanese food. midtown (30s) for korean. little italy is actually little vietnam and has no italians left except the ones that run the restaurants (who probably live in bensonhurst).

11. hip-hop was invented in the boogie-down BRONX. in the 70s. by guys like Kool Herc and Baby Huey. seriously. **** off new jack west coast.

10. i haven't lived there since 2k5 so my information is probably totally WRONG. except for #11.

DO NOT's!

1. GO TO THE BRONX unless accompanied by a native NYer. Native means they been there for at least 5 years.

2. Smile at people. Unless you know them. Smiling at guys will result in unnecessary attention.

3. Respond to "yo China" "KONICHUWA!!!" or "PSSSSSSSSSSt"

4. Go to NJ or Staten Island. It's full of mutants.

5. If the apartment is cheap it's probably in a bad area or there is something terribly wrong with it.

There are a few TF ppl there PM me I'll put you in touch :D

1. new york city and joisey (aka new jersey) ain't the same thing. just because you can see manhattan from joisey city and hoboken doesn't mean your'e in the city.

2. "the city" always refers to manhattan ONLY. the ("boogie down") bronx, queens, brooklyn and staten island are part of new york city proper but are typically known as "the outer burroughs" (note that outer is pronounced "outta")

3. "yo" and "how you doing" (pronounced howyadoin) are proper forms of "hello."

4. eat and drink. there are many good things to eat and drink in any price range, even in "joisey." zagat guide (available in any bookstore) is OK, but word of mouth is better.

5. thai food won't remind you of thai food.

6. if you're interested in fine art (painting, sculpture etc) you're in f***ing heaven. start with MoMA (museum of modern art) and work your way out into the galleries from there.

7. CUNY (city university of New York) is actually a VERY good school if you want extra degrees etc and it's relatively affordable (no, i'm not an alum i went to an overpriced ivy league school uptown).

8. it's a hell of a town. the bronx is up and the battery's down. the people ride in a hole in the ground. new york new york, it's a hell of a town.

9. the east village (manhattan) is great for japanese food. midtown (30s) for korean. little italy is actually little vietnam and has no italians left except the ones that run the restaurants (who probably live in bensonhurst).

11. hip-hop was invented in the boogie-down BRONX. in the 70s. by guys like Kool Herc and Baby Huey. seriously. f*ck off new jack west coast.

10. i haven't lived there since 2k5 so my information is probably totally WRONG. except for #11.

Hahaha Zeus ... I f*cking love ya! No one can put it better than you do.

Anyway been here almost 15 years ... Contact me for any question, info or a night out in " the city ".

3. Respond to "yo China" "KONICHUWA!!!" or "PSSSSSSSSSSt"

Ignore them loser don't say anything back and act like you don't understand whatever he was saying ...

The real NewYorkers which very rare to find one are nice ... They usually work Mon - Fri and leave the city as soon as they could to the Hamptons , Berkshire , Maine or Upstate and come back late Sun ...

Those cranky miserable souls you will often find everywhere in the city are mostly from Joisey, Long island, Staten Island and else where that usually not used to with the big city and trying to catch up or pretending to be a NewYorker ...

Thanks Japamerican,zeusbheld,digitalcat,PosH for helpful infos.

It means a lots to me since I don't have any Thai persons I know living in the city and because of that I have to depend heavily on myself while I have to be fast at adjusting myself to be well-fitted in foreign financial corporat life.

:D

• 1 year later...
Thanks Japamerican,zeusbheld,digitalcat,PosH for helpful infos.

It means a lots to me since I don't have any Thai persons I know living in the city and because of that I have to depend heavily on myself while I have to be fast at adjusting myself to be well-fitted in foreign financial corporat life.

:D

so how did this trip thingy work out ??