Thailand in May : Accomodation advice + local guide

Guest Damoboy

Question

Guest Damoboy

Hi there,

I plan to treat myself with some holidays in thailand around May 2010.

I'm looking for quality weather (don't mind few rain drops), breathtaking site (quiet white sand beach ??) and why not possibility to rent a car and discover a little bit the country around. The "Koh" islands look the right place but I'm afraid to be "stuck" on the island for the 2 weeks.

The idea is to get to know someone before going there so I can avoid the tourist scams and get to know a bit more the real local life and the Thai culture (and get help to book accomodations and all things in local language).

What do you recommend ?? Getting there and ask for a local guide ?? Meeting someone on TF and meet this person there ?? What do you reckon is the best location to combine quiet beach and nice walking tracks (2 weeks trip) ?

thanks to all for your answer.

Dan

10 answers to this question

Hi mate,

At an hour and twenty minutes old, this thread is perilously close to having the piss ripped out of it.

Before that happens, however, I'll just get in that Samui is popular and has quiet places (so I believe), but Phuket is the probably most popular touristy destination (for a bloke on his own).

(Koh means island mate.)

since you are a "Dan" too...

I'll drop a civil suggestion from my VERY limited experience:

Bang Tao beach ---Western side of Phuket--- stunning place!

Thai beaches --- very hard to go wrong --- you have two weeks try a couple

Now. you might get a personal message regarding your

--ahem-

subtle "guide" request...but this is a rough place to field that inquiry.

Hi mate,

At an hour and twenty minutes old, this thread is perilously close to having the piss ripped out of it.

Before that happens, however, I'll just get in that Samui is popular and has quiet places (so I believe), but Phuket is the probably most popular touristy destination (for a bloke on his own).

(Koh means island mate.)

Oh c'mon piAnt, join him for a day or 2. Its not like you couldnt use another friend. :wink:

Hi mate,

(Koh means island mate.)

Oh c'mon piAnt, join him for a day or 2. Its not like you couldnt use another friend. :wink:

Teddy is right --- you would be an excellent guide for the "Frenchman"

Guest Damoboy

thanks all for the tips!!!

I dont want to appear as naive (as I'm far from being naive) but how can I then formulate my request without it looking dodgy then in that case ..??

A guide is all I need (it is more actually a guide + booking agent + anti scam agent) and I thought I could genuinely exchange enough with someone ,through this site, to meet once there or to travel with (I initially thought of Flat exchange : PAris Vs any cool place in Thailand so at least I do not get ripped off) ....yep , OK, I'm naive :)

If I was looking for something "more" then I suppose, from what I could read on various forum, I just need to go on my own in a night bar...then why bothering here ??

Well if this post "stays" then cool , and thanks again for the various answers and the "fun" atmosphere in that forum ... (if post is moderated then it means that anyone looking for a tourist guide / local contact, before going to Thailand, is a deviated pervert ...?? gosh, how sad and restrictive view that would be...and making me more naive again )

Anyway, thanks to all and keep the funny mood on, this is great.

Dan

thanks all for the tips!!!

I dont want to appear as naive (as I'm far from being naive) but how can I then formulate my request without it looking dodgy then in that case ..??

A guide is all I need (it is more actually a guide + booking agent + anti scam agent) and I thought I could genuinely exchange enough with someone ,through this site, to meet once there or to travel with (I initially thought of Flat exchange : PAris Vs any cool place in Thailand so at least I do not get ripped off) ....yep , OK, I'm naive :)

If I was looking for something "more" then I suppose, from what I could read on various forum, I just need to go on my own in a night bar...then why bothering here ??

Well if this post "stays" then cool , and thanks again for the various answers and the "fun" atmosphere in that forum ... (if post is moderated then it means that anyone looking for a tourist guide / local contact, before going to Thailand, is a deviated pervert ...?? gosh, how sad and restrictive view that would be...and making me more naive again )

Anyway, thanks to all and keep the funny mood on, this is great.

Dan

Funny you should mention that!!

Have fun and hope you find a tourist guide soon.