Why do English teachers get such a hard time.

drlovelife8

Why are farang teachers lowly regarded?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Why are farang teachers lowly regarded?

• Because they are shit.
    • They are highly regarded.
    • Because they always use the beer option and date ugly whores in public.
    • Well, I don't know.

Question

I have several friends who work in a high school. But when people ask then what their jobs are they either lie or say their job title with embarrassment.

Why. It must feel good to help people get prepared to live a more successful life.

Why do English teachers get a bad rap.

They seem to work quite long hours for a relatively low wage when you look at other farang salaries (managers of companies and engineers).

Don't give me any **** about their behavior out of work!! They don't earn enough to be the real bad boys of this city. That goes to the high roller farang. and well off Chinese and Japanese guys...... and me.

Is it because a few are **** teachers and only came here to **** girls..... Doesn't that make them over qualified???

If it is because a few are arse-wipes... Isn't that like saying all blacks are crooks because of a stereo-type of them which a small number re-enforce???

Thoughts please..... My 2 best mates in this country stared out as English teachers here and 2 more really good ones still are. My first job here was in a school too.

You thoughts...... I work in a hospital by the way..... Just to distance myself from such low class, farang keenok, couldn't score in a brothe, fat, overweight, bald, riddled with AIDS, *****-dating, hooker-barebacking, ugly, smelly, poor, useless, pitiful, blah blah blah scum :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The last part was the inevitable Dr.Lowlife humour.

But really, I don't see Thai teachers being so embarrassed by their work choice.

• Answers 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

now English teachers to blame for the some pleasures we all are guilty of enjoying.

speak only for yourself please

Easy p*ssy and a vibrant social life IS one of the reasons you choose to stay here.

ohh yeah that s one reason for your life to end up single, alone with only boxes of beer and cartons of pizza don't blame us Thai girl for wanting only your money then.

non comprende

Hey! A thread I can really sink my teeth into!

I was pretty successful in UK - earned 3500 - 5000 sterling per month, nice house, car, one ex-wife (no palimony).

I also had a pretty good track record with attractive girls.

I moved to Thailand 8 years ago because I was bored with life passing me by and wanted to do something to stop my life from following a predictable pattern of house, wife, kids, retirement, death.

I was an English teacher for the first 3 years or so - and I had a blast. I loved living in Thailand, met some good people and got by on a pittance. I have savings and investments in UK and I have a house rented out there, but I almost never touch that money.

While I was teaching I prepped pretty well, knew my grammar and made my lessons interesting. Most people will know my posts are usually correct and I don't mix up my "there's", "their's", "your's" and "you're's".

I boned a couple of students, but I was only teaching people over 20 years of age, and I was a nice guy. One of them is still a good friend now... and her English is excellent thanks to all the extra hours I put in...

I moved into F+B after a silly offer of money for an 'easy' job. I enjoyed it and still do, but if it all went ****-up and I went back to teaching, I don't think I'd be heartbroken.

Once again EB shows honesty and seems to be able to accept his past. Well done dude.

I am really glad I started this thread. Many people think I am an arsehole, but I have got years to go before I can match some of the snobs I have read in this thread.

I don't work in a school but if I did I would do it well and be proud.

Give the poor bastards a break.

You are all enjoying the life here and didn't come for temples and spicy food to begin with.

Blow me

You're one of "them" !!!!

If by one of "them" you mean an English teacher, then no, I'm not. I do think of some of "them" as friends however. Something that I will be sure to rectify now you've put me straight on "them". By the way, do you go to special meetings dressed in a sheet?

.......One of those hapless broken drifting worthless futureless losers who have found themselves eking out a hand-to-mouth existence in the fantasy land of tropical shagfest

Do you think that maybe I should talk to a priest? No, on second thought, I think that your sanctimonious preaching should be enough.

ha ha ha

I am also sad that the world is not a utopia and have had all my childhood dreams dashed by the harshness of the real world...

"What does he mean daddy?"

"Go and ask Randy-Pan the Goatboy son. He has all the anwers."

At least I've managed to save a shred of my dignity.

Never fear, I'm sure you'll manage to flush it away with that turd of an attitude of yours.

now English teachers to blame for the some pleasures we all are guilty of enjoying.

mmmmm I guess you are the only bloke in BKK who doesn't party and f*ck.

before I came to Thailand I was an event promoter for some of the best parties in NYC. I had my share of ass and drugs, it got boring... When I got here it was not because I heard there was ass here. I didn't stay because of that either.

To each their own. But ass and party is a sad reason to motivate a life abroad.

Gimme a firecracker and bend over.

mmmmm I guess you are the only bloke in BKK who doesn't party and f*ck.

before I came to Thailand I was an event promoter for some of the best parties in NYC. I had my share of a*s and drugs, it got boring... When I got here it was not because I heard there was a*s here. I didn't stay because of that either.

To each their own. But a*s and party is a sad reason to motivate a life abroad.

Gimme a firecracker and bend over.

Bent and waiting.

Well, after employing "English Teachers" for the last 10 years, I've gotten more than a few insights.

Out of a few hundred or so, I've probably come across maybe 1 or 2 who actually planned to be a teacher here and who actually went as far as to do some training for it beforehand. Funniliy enough, Dannyboy was one.

The reason 99% of them "teach English", is because they have no other skill (other than their English ability), which can get them a legitimate job and, hence, a work permit and, hence, a long stay (12 month) visa (the ultimate goal).

A typical applicant:

"Hi! Are you looking for English teachers?"

"Possibly. Do you have any experience?"

"No. But, I trained crane drivers/pulled wire/drove a truck/dug ditches back home, so I can piss it. Can I get a visa now?"

If it lasted that long.

Why do they all seem so universally despised? Well, that's cos they are. The overwhelming majority are teaching English simply because they want to stay here. And that's what everyone knows.

Forgive me for being jaded, but the first thing that comes into my head when someone says "I was an English Teacher for x years." is "So it took you x years to find a real job."

I've seen pretty much everyone you could think of right across the spectrum. From people (wankers mostly) who were waving multiple degrees around, to people who I wouldn't employ to teach a dog to lick its balls (and probably couldn't), to people probably on the run and people who seriously made my skin crawl.

So, when the OP's mates say sheepishly that they're English Teachers, it's because they aren't proud of the fact that they (assuming that they're actually ok, and many actually are), are doing the job merely because it's all they can do.

Until they find a real job.

The guys who inspired this thread have PGCEs or masters, surely that's f*cking legit.

That's why they're shouting it from rooftops then.

surely the guys who inspired this thread have nothing more than a TEFL certificate on the back of a piss poor degree in something other than English from some provincial polytechnic?

While the ones who suffer the backlash are the ones with pgce's, masters degrees etc?

:?

Mate, the truth is that English teachers get such a bad rap (from other farang I hasten to add) merely because of association.

Take Condotown.

He fancies himself as an "educator"; someone trained in the "art" of teaching. He's waving around a couple of certs and thinks, probably rightly, that he should be respected because of them. He would back home after all. So why not here?

Here, however, education is not like back home. And, honestly, the education Thais get is far (I'm sorry to say) below what people get back there.

And, even the most uneducated arsehole (read paedo, crim on the run, beach bum etc), can do it.

In fact it's probably not even these types who bother people like him. It's those others who just want to stay here (for any reason, not just an easy shag), who can do so relatively easily by becoming the "English teacher".

I can understand how he feels about it. He's a bloke who can gain employment legitimately as a qualified educator. But so can arseholes who know **** about anything make enough to get by.

That doesn't mean that they are all like that, but it's easier for him to pidgeonhole them like that.

Still, whatever educated background he has (or how much money he has for that matter), he's still a tosser who thinks that having a bit of cash and 2 (read them, 2), Master's degrees and a freaky haircut, makes him better than everyone else.

Haha yes, I know you know, he's just a turd.

Who, apparently, signs his communications "douchebag".

(Say no more.)

surely the guys who inspired this thread have nothing more than a TEFL certificate on the back of a piss poor degree in something other than English from some provincial polytechnic?

While the ones who suffer the backlash are the ones with pgce's, masters degrees etc?

:?

Mate, the truth is that English teachers get such a bad rap (from other farang I hasten to add) merely because of association.

Take Condotown.

He fancies himself as an "educator"; someone trained in the "art" of teaching. He's waving around a couple of certs and thinks, probably rightly, that he should be respected because of them. He would back home after all. So why not here?

Here, however, education is not like back home. And, honestly, the education Thais get is far (I'm sorry to say) below what people get back there.

And, even the most uneducated arsehole (read paedo, crim on the run, beach bum etc), can do it.

In fact it's probably not even these types who bother people like him. It's those others who just want to stay here (for any reason, not just an easy shag), who can do so relatively easily by becoming the "English teacher".

I can understand how he feels about it. He's a bloke who can gain employment legitimately as a qualified educator. But so can arseholes who know d*ck about anything make enough to get by.

That doesn't mean that they are all like that, but it's easier for him to pidgeonhole them like that.

Still, whatever educated background he has (or how much money he has for that matter), he's still a tosser who thinks that having a bit of cash and 2 (read them, 2), Master's degrees and a freaky haircut, makes him better than everyone else.

Haha yes, I know you know, he's just a turd.

Who, apparently, signs his communications "douchebag".

(Say no more.)

Exactly how condotown comes across in his postings.

Somebody who thinks that anyone who has a baht less than him or doesn't meet his very high moral standards is a complete "douchebag" not worthy of a place on this earth.

I've just been asked to teach a part time photography class at Kasetsart Uni...

Should i join the ranks?

It depends on whether you want Condotown to think you are a Douchebag or not. Most life here revolves around what he thinks.

On second thoughts no, sorry. It matters nothing that you might have something to impart to others.

Only that you aren't qualified to do so and you might possibly get a visa out of it.

Or have sex for that matter.

Or make enough to scrimp by.

EDIT: Totally missed a V in there.

Somebody who thinks that anyone who has a baht less than him or doesn't meet his very high moral standards is a complete "douchebag" not worthy of a place on this earth.

Yes because we need more poor half-wits, with low moral standards around to breed and populate this planet.

good call there.

Yes because we need more poor half-wits, with low moral standards around to breed and populate this planet.

good call there.

Try to read and understand the posting correctly.

I am aware that english is not your first language but it should be quite simple.

Thanks.

good call there.

Sensible policies for a prosperous tomorrow.

If only the Roman Catholic Church could sieze the opportunities available in Asia.

Oh i forgot to add, i'm not sure that a self confessed ex herion user knows about morals?

au contraire.

All continental European all of a sudden. Big nosed Woofter.

They can sometimes be the best person to talk about morals.

As an employer of English teachers might have more of an insight about English teachers than might, say, a pervy looking anorexic affronted educator sporting a mohican with the hots for Sinenat?

You cruel bastard.

(In the nicest sense of the word obviously.)

good call there.

Try to read and understand the posting correctly.

I am aware that english is not your first language but it should be quite simple.

Thanks.

Let me guess you are an English teacher?