The effects of the Icelandic volcano eruption

funky_house

With thousands of flights in and out of Europe cancelled, it seems that it isn't just passengers that are going to feel the effect of the volcanic eruption.

Fresh fruit and vegetables from around the world are transported by cargo aircraft, so that we can buy our out of season produce, or exotic fruit at all times.

If flights continue to be delayed (and they are saying that the eruption could continue for weeks), then there could be shortages and price rises in the supermarkets.

Food is already lying rotting in warehouses all over the place, and people are stranded in foreign climes, with no idea when they will get home.

Even soldiers wounded in Afghanistan are having to be taken to a different place, as the big military hospitals in Germany are in closed airspace.

Has? Or will this eruption affect you in any way? I see that some TF'ers are already stranded in BKK.

For me, I am due to fly to Thailand in June, providing the political situation, and the volcano let me.

A few friends are stuck in Israel, they were meant to return on Thursday. But theyre still out there and costing them GBP100 a day for the hotel, which they wont see again.

Although KLM and another airline have set up planes and have come seemingly unscathed I still cant imagine passengers risking it until they get the all clear.

Yea Im also looking to come out in June too. So this volcano better says it piece then piss off quickly.

The only ones that are happy are the kids who can't get back to start their new school term, anyone living close to an airport. Those living near Heathrow are saying they are getting the best sleep they have had in years.

Taxi drivers, who are charging fortunes. Especially those in Europe that are bringing people to the Channel ports.

Oh and PiAnt. :)

Excerpt from the Daily Telegraph:

As if things were not bad enough already. The eruption of Ejyafjallajökull, it is feared, may continue for weeks, months or even longer, disrupting air traffic whenever the wind blows its ash into flight paths: last time it blew up, in 1821, it went on for more than a year. And it may well be followed by another volcano, Katla, some five times bigger, which would spew out far more of the stuff and could therefore cause far greater chaos. Every time Ejyafjallajökull has blown its top since the Vikings first arrived on the island in the ninth century, Katla has swiftly followed.

Nothing much I can do but stay positive, getting harder every minute!!! In fact the flight isn't officially cancelled but I will know more by tomorrow.

à«ç§!!!! :evil:

My house is 30 minutes from there ja.

Come here and relax for a bit.

Please. I'll even come and get you.

this just from UPS alone...Can't imagine the number of companies being hurt by this....

>>>European Volcano

Service Update

Due to massive clouds of ash in the skies over Northern Europe from the eruption of a volcano in Iceland, air space in a number of European countries has been closed, with a resulting disruption to UPS air traffic. Shipments to and from Europe will likely experience delays.

UPS is closely monitoring the situation, which is changing from one hour to the next, and will make adjustments as needed to our operational network to best serve our customers.

UPS service guarantees do not apply when transportation networks are disrupted. <<<

what about the CO2 levels... think of the children!

the eruption is actually saving around 200,00 tonnes of CO2 emissions daily.

Not so bad then?

but check this wonderful pic someone caught of the volcano erupting with the Northern Lights in the background...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ice-cold/4497761488/

Yes Iain, you are right. No planes flying, no exhaust fumes.

But instead, there is this fine particulate dust that can cause lung damage if inhaled. So we win on one side, and lose on the other.

Not so bad then?

but check this wonderful pic someone caught of the volcano erupting with the Northern Lights in the background...

But instead, there is this fine particulate dust that can cause lung damage if inhaled. So we win on one side, and lose on the other.

too many fuckers on the planet anyway...

:twisted:

Not so bad then?

Well you are a lot closer to it than the rest of us. :sweatdrop:

Not so bad then?

Well you are a lot closer to it than the rest of us. :sweatdrop:

ah but I'm in my secret underground bunker...

the whole 'ash' scare is a little bit too swine flu for me. Overreactions, panics etc. Bunch of drama queens.

That's what my hub told me so, funky_house. I might have to find a job in BKK if it's last that long. Can't teach English or anything... maybe I'm gonna open a bar-beer.

Or flight as close to home as possible, then take the train.

Norwegian air space is opened from today but still no info about my flight, meaning I can fly to Oslo and take a trian from there.

Nothing much I can do but stay positive, getting harder every minute!!! In fact the flight isn't officially cancelled but I will know more by tomorrow.

à«ç§!!!! :evil:

My house is 30 minutes from there ja.

Come here and relax for a bit.

Please. I'll even come and get you.

Very tempting offer..always want to try new aircon.

don't understand why everyone seems to think this is some tragedy. It may just be the salvation of the planet!

Think about it: Suppose that all that ash that the unpronounceable volcano in Iceland is putting into the upper atmosphere not only slows down, but stops the warming trend of climate change? The world would then owe Iceland its thanks, making it perhaps the most popular state on the planet!

Thank you, Iceland!