When will Thais make 1 billion?

Admin_2

For those who don't know, the Thai number system does not go beyond 1 million. 1 billion is 1,000 million...1 trillion is 10,000 million and so on.

The way the world is growing at such a fast rate, the need to add in new names for these numbers will be needed. Will Thais add this in, and if so...when? Is it ever discussed?

It would be funny to hear Thai astronomers having a serious meeting saying "It's over a million million kilometers...fuck it, it's far, ok?!!" (yes, I'm sure they use light years as well)

One side question...what does the Chinese number system use for large numbers?

you think Thaksin stole so much to emphasize this very point?

I knew he was just trying to do good. He was trying to make people aware of the lack of a word for billions so he stole as many billions as he could in order to make it inconvenient for people to keep reporting about his without having to use the thousands, millions syntax. He was hoping it would cause people to create a "billions" for the betterment of Thailand.

For those who don't know, the Thai number system does not go beyond 1 million. 1 billion is 1,000 million...1 trillion is 10,000 million and so on.

Uhmmm, not sure about that Rob, but according to what I've learned, we have Thai number system that's called "Ãʧä¢Â" (ask your Thai teacher about it, if she can't explain you, find a new teacher ASAP) :D

Here they are....

ÊÔº ÊÔº¤ÃÑé§ àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§Ãéà(10 x 10 = 100)

ÊÔºÃéààÃÕ¡ ˹Ö觾ѹ (100 x 10 = 1000)

ÊÔº¾Ñ¹ àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§ËÃ×è¹ (1000 x 10 = 10000)

ÊÔºËÃ×è¹ àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§áʹ (10000 x 10 = 100000)

ÃéÃÂáʹ àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§â¡¯Ô (100000 x 10 = 1000000)

ÃéÃÂáʹ⡯ àÃÕ¡ ˹Ö觻⡯Ô (1000000 x 10 = 10000000)

ÃéÃÂáʹ»â¡¯ àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§â¡¯Ô»â¡¯Ô (10000000 x 10)

ÃéÃÂáʹ⡯Ի⡯Ô àÃÕ¡ ˹Ö觹Ëص (100000000 x 10)

ÃéÃÂáʹ¹Ëص àÃÕ¡ ˹Ö觹Թ¹Ëص ..... and so on....

ÃéÃÂáʹ¹Ô¹¹Ëص àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§ÃÑ¡â¢ÀÔ³Õ

ÃéÃÂáʹÃÑ¡â¢ÀÔ³Õ àÃÕ¡ ˹Ö觾Թ·Ø

ÃéÃÂáʹ¾Ô¹·Ø àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§ÃѾ¾Ø·Ã

ÃéÃÂáʹÃѾ¾Ø·à àÃÕ¡ ˹Ö觹ÔþطÃ

ÃéÃÂáʹ¹Ôþطà àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§ÃËËÃ

ÃéÃÂáʹÃËËà àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§Ã¾¾Ã

ÃéÃÂáʹþ¾à àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§Ã¯¯Ã

ÃéÃÂáʹï¯à àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§âʤѹ¸Ô¡Ã

ÃéÃÂáʹâʤѹ¸Ô¡à àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§ÃØ»ÅÃ

ÃéÃÂáʹÃØ»Åà àÃÕ¡ ˹Ö觡ÃØ·Ã

ÃéÃÂáʹ¡ÃØ·à àÃÕ¡ ˹Ö觻·ØÃÃ

ÃéÃÂáʹ»·ØÃà àÃÕ¡ ˹Ö觻س±ÃÔ¡Ã

ÃéÃÂáʹ»Ø³±ÃÔ¡à àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§Ã¡¶Ò¹

ÃéÃÂáʹá¶Ò¹ àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§ÃËÒ¡¶Ò¹

ÃéÃÂáʹÃËÒ¡¶Ò¹ àÃÕ¡ ˹Öè§Ãʧä¢Â

----------------

This system isn't common use but we have it.

I've never once heard Thais use that...in meetings, on TV, radio...anywhere.

Interesting that it does exist, though, it's a bit long-winded.

Thank you!

It's been (somewhat common) used during my grandparents generation and before that and in ¾ÃÃäµÃ»Ô¯¡ (the Tripitaka) Rob.

Pretty long winded, indeed.

the last one is " ˹Öè§Ãʧä¢Â" = 10 x 100000000000000000000000.

and you can add, ÊçÃʧä¢Â = 100 x 100000000000000000000000

ÊÒÃÃʧä¢Â = 1000 x 100000000000000000000000 and so on..

This is a headache, lol.

What I basically see is that one million is ⡯Ô, and ten million is »â¡¯Ô. Is that right? Everything is just given an extra zero.

Sorry...no need to go into this further as I doubt I'll ever use it, but it's good to know.

I don't have a Thai teacher to fire, and my books have never said anything about this.

This is a headache, lol.

What I basically see is that one million is ⡯Ô, and ten million is »â¡¯Ô. Is that right? Everything is just given an extra zero.

You got it right.

my books have never said anything about this.

That doesn't surprise me. I ain't even sure if any kid in school nowadays learns about this.

:D

I assume in the future they will use the current numbering structure while integrating parts of these other number systems to make larger numbers.

At the moment, what do you think academics use to dictate "larger than life" numbers? I remember once in the MOF a Thai colleague jokingly said "it's about a million million" when he was at a loss for words explaining the size of something.

:lol::lol::lol:

I think you just exposed how stupid the Western numerical system is too, Rob! I was always taught in Australia that a billion is 1000 million, so I did some googling. I won't even bother putting down what the 'experts' say here. They don't appear to agree... But I think Dave speaks correctly for the general tradition use in the UK, although I think the scientific definition may follow the American one. :lol:

:roll:

• 5 months later...
I think you just exposed how stupid the Western numerical system is too, Rob! I was always taught in Australia that a billion is 1000 million, so I did some googling. I won't even bother putting down what the 'experts' say here. They don't appear to agree... But I think Dave speaks correctly for the general tradition use in the UK, although I think the scientific definition may follow the American one. :lol:

:roll:

Sorry, I just noticed this post...and I have no idea what you're talking about.

What English speaking country doesn't consider 1 billion 1000 million?

Outside of "long scale," which is as retarded as the USA not using the metric system, when is 1 billion not 1000 million?

Outside of "long scale," which is as retarded as the USA not using the metric system, when is 1 billion not 1000 million?

The UK.

A billion used to be a million million. Looks like that has changed... But I'm sure a lot of people still use the old system.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/page/114

How many is a billion?

In British English, a billion used to be equivalent to a million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000), while in American English it has always equated to a thousand million (i.e. 1,000,000,000). British English has now adopted the American figure, though, so that a billion equals a thousand million in both varieties of English.

The same sort of change has taken place with the meaning of trillion. In British English, a trillion used to mean a million million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000,000,000). Nowadays, it's generally held to be equivalent to a million million (1,000,000,000,000), as it is in American English.

The UK.

A billion used to be a million million. Looks like that has changed... But I'm sure a lot of people still use the old system.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/page/114

How many is a billion?

In British English, a billion used to be equivalent to a million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000), while in American English it has always equated to a thousand million (i.e. 1,000,000,000). British English has now adopted the American figure, though, so that a billion equals a thousand million in both varieties of English.

The same sort of change has taken place with the meaning of trillion. In British English, a trillion used to mean a million million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000,000,000). Nowadays, it's generally held to be equivalent to a million million (1,000,000,000,000), as it is in American English.

No offense, but if someone told me that a billion is more than 1,000,000,000...I would laugh at them.

No offense, but if someone told me that a billion is more than 1,000,000,000...I would laugh at them.

Maybe in English, but just take e.g. German, French or Slavic languages:

1 Million = 1,000,000

1 Milliarde = 1,000,000,000

1 Billion = 1,000,000,000,000

1 Billiarde = 1,000,000,000,000,000

1 Trillion = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000

etc.

Obviously, English is just using the -ion endings and forgot about the -iarde ones ;)