Have I Made A Big Mistake

afunkateer

i have a person dislike for many tourist areas in Bangkok and i avoid them whenever i can,.. especially Nana and lower Sukhumvit rd. But this morning i had to go to the British Embassy in Thanon Wittayu, and needed passport pics. I went to soi 5 area, got my pics then crossed to road to get a motorbike to the Embassy. Within 30seconds of standing on corner of Nana, a policeman came up and started harrassing me about smoking (i wasnt at that time and i knew he was bullshitting). I remained calm, smiled and spoke politely. He demanded my passport and then seized it and demanded i follow him. Despite my polite protests i had no choice - he had my passport. He took me to a booth nearby where he and his slimy crony police mate tried to extort TB15,OOO from me while holding up a cigarette butt (not mine) hed picked up from 1000s on the ground. It took me an hour, and all the patience and polite Thai i could muster to get away with paying TB1000 for something i did not do. I have notice a huge increase in police numbers on the streets lately, mostly scamming cash fines from drivers. If you are a tourist, dont speak Thai and have no experience in how to deal with Thai police, i suggest you be careful in tourist areas. It could be an expensive day!
I have booked a hotel on lower Sukhumvit Road. After reading above post, have I landed myself in the seediest part of town? (A little seedy I can deal with lol) I thought it would be ok as it was near the JW Marriot, which seems to be one of the more expensive hotels and not far from Bed Supper club. All the guide books I have read have only described it as the trendiest part of the city, although mentioning Nana entertainment plaza, which sounded fairly contained. Advice please.

There are scams everywhere in Thailand, lol. So you can continue sweating.

They first hit you immediately after you land when you try and get a taxi...make sure you get a metered taxi.

This site should make you sweat and learn some more before coming.

http://www.bangkokscams.com/

Just use common sense and you won't lose (too much).

I was planning to pay over the odds and use the hotel airport transfer so I could at least get to the hotel unmolested. I will know check the site you listed. Let the sweating begin.

Metered cabs are the way to go.

If you see someone trying to sell you something, just dont make eye contact and keep walking.

If police get involved, well, I didnt have to deal with that, and hopefully wont have to next time either. Just keep your wits about you and a hand on your wallet and you'll be ok.

They first hit you immediately after you land when you try and get a taxi...make sure you get a metered taxi.

Thanks guys, sound advice that is the same for anywhere. East London looks to be much scarier lolz

Thanks guys, sound advice that is the same for anywhere. East London looks to be much scarier lolz

lol, I hear that, I'm from here and there are some places I wont go.

Yer big woos! :-)

Yer big woos! :-)

hahahaha....i was talking about your house. :wink:

Metered cabs are the way to go.

If you see someone trying to sell you something, just dont make eye contact and keep walking.

If police get involved, well, I didnt have to deal with that, and hopefully wont have to next time either. Just keep your wits about you and a hand on your wallet and you'll be ok.

+1 Teddy right here!

Meter taxi; they always treated me fair... ( only cab that ripped me off was outside the Tunnel @ 2 AM 0 ...just get in line --couple of minutes you are off, (you pay the tolls) and the adventure begins!

There's no worries. Just be extra careful toward the end of the month, when people's bills come due. Remember if someone approaches you that speaks better English than you do, it's a scam, and the going rates are:

4573772643_171d48a56c.jpg

Red Shirts protest fines for this year amount to 12930000000000 baht, and counting.

Guest BackinBangkok

It is less safe then it used to be in the evening, too many Nigerian thugs in large groups nowadays looking for trouble, they're the scum of this earth and best avoided, but are usually found on the opposite side of the road to the Marriott, also be wary of women with deep voices, but you'll have the time of your life in Nana on your first visit!

There's no worries. Just be extra careful toward the end of the month, when people's bills come due. Remember if someone approaches you that speaks better English than you do, it's a scam, and the going rates are:

4573772643_171d48a56c.jpg

It rarely matters in the context of a couple of cops trying to shake you done but people do forget that these are maximum fines. Rarely, if ever, would someone pay anywhere near the maximum in a 'non-shake down' context.

For example, you could empty ten garbage bags of the most foul smelling, rat ridden, turgid rubbish onto the sidewalk and your still not going to pay more than 2000 baht max!