How Did You Decide Your Username?

I'm just curious. In the 90's when the internet hit the spot with dial-up, payphones and paying for internet by the hour, how did you decide your username?

I wanted to be a hacker so I wanted something underground/cool/dangerous, I wanted to be like Zero Cool in the movie Hackers. But I wasn't...it ended up being Dennypooh, because all the girls called me that in school. Totally not dangerous or cool, might as well have been Fuzzy Bunny.

Yeahrightdennis came from my friend. Whenever we spoke she always responded with "yeah, right Dennis."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always liked 'Yeahrightdennis' and I guessed it was something someone said to you a lot.

My name? When I joined TF, it was my first online community. I just wanted something with my name and nationality so I tried English_Dave.

Someone had already taken 'Dave'. But I remembered a movie with a character called English Bob - I liked 'Bob' because Thai people could pronounce it!

Here's the original English Bob played by Richard Harris in the movie Unforgiven.

01_English_Bob.jpg

Since taking the name (about 8 years ago), I have used it on several other sites, and even publish some articles under English_Bob's pseudonym, which is Robert England.

There's a dictionary definition here - surprisingly, suspiciously, uncannily accurate - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=English%20Bob

Hmmmmm I work in digital media so when I close my eyes I am seeing pixels. The cat part is that I have a personality that is somewhat like a cat... or so I been told. Recently people started telling me that I look like a cat.

That makes it even more interesting. Am i growing whiskers?

from the famous Thai horror movie 'Nang Nak".

movie_01.jpg

(from Wiki) In rural village in Thailand, Mak (Winai Kraibutr) is sent to fight in a war and leaves his pregnant wife, Nak (Intira Jaroenpura). Mak is injured and barely survives. He returns home to his doting wife and child, or so he thinks. Mysterious events occur around the village.

A friend visits and sees Mak living together with Nak. The villagers, knowing that Nak died in childbirth several months previously, realize what is happening, that Mak is spellbound by Nak's ghost. People who attempt to tell Mak, or who know too much, are killed by the Nak's ghost, who becomes more aggressive due to her inability to accept her early death and her desperate desire to stay with her husband.

Anyway.... for many years my Thai friends would joke with my name and a scene in that movie where Nang Nak is outside Mak's window saying "Pee Maaak kaaaaaaa.... Pee Maaak kaaaa..."

Anyway.... for many years my Thai friends would joke with my name and a scene in that movie where Nang Nak is outside Mak's window saying "Pee Maaak kaaaaaaa.... Pee Maaak kaaaa..."

i thought you had to go to the bathroom.

and there's that too :wink:

(and coincidentally... many years later, I had been working with a young Thai film producer in Bkk who introduced me to her (much older) 'lover' at dinner one night.... who was the director of that same movie :lol: )

A stramash is a chiefly Scottish word for a disturbance, racket, or crash and was first recorded in 1803. Can also mean rowdy behaviour or an uproar.

In football it is a term for a "goalmouth scramble", an example of footballing jargon. It refers to an incident where there are several players in the 6-yard box, either trying to force the ball into the goal or to get the ball safely up the park. It appears to be very messy, but is in reality one of the most entertaining aspects of the game. The phrase was used by Scottish football commentator Arthur Montford.(“And players from both teams have now become embroiled in what can only be described as a giant stramash inside the penalty box“)

Have used it as a DJ name and also produce tunes under the moniker 'The Arthur Montford Experience' so the link continues.

:D:D

Carried over from a nickname given to me by a college teamate (fencing)...

over the years several others good friends, independantly came up with it too.

A casual softball team I played on had a group of women fans who came to games and while playing centerfield they would shoutout a used line from a TV series: "Book 'em Danno!!!" when a fly ball was hit in my area of the field

Seemed only Good Friends ever used it and since I hope to me good friends here....it was a hopeful start !!

from the famous Thai horror movie 'Nang Nak".

movie_01.jpg

(from Wiki) In rural village in Thailand, Mak (Winai Kraibutr) is sent to fight in a war and leaves his pregnant wife, Nak (Intira Jaroenpura). Mak is injured and barely survives. He returns home to his doting wife and child, or so he thinks. Mysterious events occur around the village.

A friend visits and sees Mak living together with Nak. The villagers, knowing that Nak died in childbirth several months previously, realize what is happening, that Mak is spellbound by Nak's ghost. People who attempt to tell Mak, or who know too much, are killed by the Nak's ghost, who becomes more aggressive due to her inability to accept her early death and her desperate desire to stay with her husband.

I'm impressed, you know this movie.

Time to change your nationality to Thai :idea:

My original "farangfarang" came from the sound I would often hear entering a room :-)

yes, but where did 'admin' come from? :?

'Admin' came from overseas....

:wink:

Iain, by the way, do you remember the first series of t-shirts (thats was really a long time ago...)???

1416964458_475f563721.jpg

@ Olympos - You live in Olympos! That is way too cOOool.

I have been living there for ages. Before Olympos i lived 2 years in Butterfly Valley,

but thats not a recommended username on TF - Thai girls don't like butterflies.

Now i am living in Bangkok...

My old house is on the very left end on the beach near the rocks (red roof):

4_16401_0_1185216852kelebekler-vadisi.jpg

I come from the states

must make one hell of a splash...

That took me a few seconds to get...either I'm not sleeping enough or your jokes are losing steam...or both!!

I blame tiredness, bourbon and an eye infection... :roll:

which eye Iain?

Is it the one-eyed trouser snake again? :lol::lol: :wink:

I come from the states

That took me a few seconds to get...either I'm not sleeping enough or your jokes are losing steam...or both!!

which eye Iain?

Not funny. Conjunctivitis - can hardly open LEFT eye!!

Trouser snake on best behaviour just now.

"The doctor removed my left ventricle and atrium," Tom said half-heartedly.

I come from the states

which eye Iain?

Not funny. Conjunctivitis - can hardly open LEFT eye!!

Trouser snake on best behaviour just now.

"The doctor removed my left ventricle and atrium," Tom said half-heartedly.

Ouch---behave with that one --- (just crap these days on the left anyway!) :P

ah well be kind to them you only have two of the one kind

( and one of the other hehehe) :wink: