War! What is it good for?

English_Bob

Absolutely nothing?

Guernica.JPG

I don't know.... I'm not a peacenik by any means. I used to think I wouldn't go to war for anything. But I'm not sure it's true.

If my country was invaded. If my family threatened. Or if I was in a particularly shitty mood, I might be tempted.

Can wars ever resolve things?

When dialogue breaks down, is there a case for going to war?

Did the recent defeat of rebels in Indonesia bring about a more stable country?

Was it therefore justified?

How about the American Civil War? Didn't that make things better? At least for slaves and some Americans?

If nothing else, they provide us scope for some pretty good movies....

And this song...

When two tribes go to war, a point is all you can score...

If you're Tony Montana and you go to war, you get at least 20 points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBKuSlPiWnw&feature=related

em...he lost.

:lol:

lol...he lost the battle but he won the war...for drugs.

death is usually an indicator of having lost the battle and the war...

:lol:

The cocaine trade is still well alive, my friend.

And Tony will always have a special place in my bad ass heart.

Mr. Mortenson, 52, thinks there is no military solution in Afghanistan — he says the education of girls is the real long-term fix — so he has been startled by the Defense Department’s embrace.

The collaboration, which grew in part out of the popularity of “Three Cups of Tea†among military wives who told their husbands to read it, extends to the office of Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Last summer, Admiral Mullen attended the opening of one of Mr. Mortenson’s schools in Pushghar, a remote village in Afghanistan’s Hindu Kush mountains.

In the past year, Mr. Mortenson and his Central Asia Institute, responsible for the construction of more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan, mostly for girls, have set up some three dozen meetings between General McChrystal or his senior staff members and village elders across Afghanistan.

Mr. Mortenson acknowledges that his solution in Afghanistan, girls’ education, will take a generation and more. “But Al Qaeda and the Taliban are looking at it long range over generations,†he said. “And we’re looking at it in terms of annual fiscal cycles and presidential elections.â€

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/world/asia/18tea.html?_r=1&hp

Mr. Mortenson, 52, thinks there is no military solution in Afghanistan — he says the education of girls is the real long-term fix — so he has been startled by the Defense Department’s embrace.

The collaboration, which grew in part out of the popularity of “Three Cups of Tea†among military wives who told their husbands to read it, extends to the office of Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Last summer, Admiral Mullen attended the opening of one of Mr. Mortenson’s schools in Pushghar, a remote village in Afghanistan’s Hindu Kush mountains.

In the past year, Mr. Mortenson and his Central Asia Institute, responsible for the construction of more than 130 schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan, mostly for girls, have set up some three dozen meetings between General McChrystal or his senior staff members and village elders across Afghanistan.

Mr. Mortenson acknowledges that his solution in Afghanistan, girls’ education, will take a generation and more. “But Al Qaeda and the Taliban are looking at it long range over generations,†he said. “And we’re looking at it in terms of annual fiscal cycles and presidential elections.â€

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/world/asia/18tea.html?_r=1&hp

OK... Suppose, then, that USA hadn't invaded. Would there be any prospect of education for girls then? If women are allowed to study and broaden their lives, would that mean that the war was justified?

What would the consequences of doing nothing have been?

Maybe my next forum will be "Why TF Forums are no longer interesting."

that's an easy one to answer: because there's no clapper clowns out around town screwing **** up.

if the next set of clapper clowns (beige? purple?) get vuvuzelas, then war against them is justified regardless of their politics.

Some wars were/are pointless and some were/are absolutely essential.

WW1 and WW2 were both essential to stop German european rule in different ways. Although I hate the Taliban's ideology with a passion, I don't give a **** what they do IN that country to THEIR own people. IF the war in the Stan gets women educated I guess that's something, but having been there and lived in other ideologically similar countries, it is my opinion that it won't change much in the short term (100 or so years).

The war in Bosnia was essential to one group and not to another. Same in Ireland. Israel's 6 day war was essential. They were about to be attcked by multiple enemies.

There have been a few worth fighting and a load not worth fighting.

A couple of Youtube Vids on Girls Schools in Afghanistan and the American military in a development support role.

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bjy7Y00A9Q

Is it worth it for the American military & Allies to fend off the Taliban so Afghan girls can go to school.? I think it mean a lot to the Afghan girls and is important step toward better a life for Afghans. The American military seems to be motivated to assist in development work.

But, what is the cost of doing nothing? A Taliban ruled country supporting Islamic extremism and a training center for international Islamic terrorists.

What makes people really mad is Corruption at high levels in the Afghan Gov. But, what can anyone do about it.

The object of war is not to die for your country,

but to make the other bastard die for his.

---Gen. George Patton

And, who the heck is he? (I remember this quote from aday magazine .. i love aday)

Anyway,

Is Peace Always Good? Is War Always Bad?

Becoz of war that's why we have the word "peace"

I think if I try to find the positive side of war.. it might be like..

It stimulates the economy. It can build national pride.

And it reduces the amoutn of populations in the world.

I think it's hard to avoid "having a war" coz we are the dominant species and...

we are ***** to each others .. :?