Thailand vs. Farangland

admin

Question

I was having a discussion about this the other night with someone and I even wrote about it on my poker blog, even though there are so many things that are backwards compared to back home Thailand (and many parts of Asia) are remarkably ahead of the curve on others.

For instance, if I walk into my bank and hand them $1000 at many banks I can't access those funds until the next day because my account balance is only updated once a day (except when you withdraw money and then it's immediate).

I can't transfer money or pay my bills at the ATMs back home.

Most fast food places don't deliver (McDonald's, KFC, etc).

What things have you grown used to here in Thailand that when you visit back home you say, "WTF?@!? What do you mean you don't have that?"

many years ago... an Amer friend told me, he never seen American fried rice in America...It's in Thailand only.

The Note Udom, said the same. haha.

Yes, there is no such thing as American fried rice in America. The only fried rice pegged to a country that I'm familiar with is Chinese fried rice.

In fact, I've always wondered how American fried rice got the name. I could understand if there was something distinctly American about it but there isn't. There isn't a single ingredient that is mostly American or even mostly farang.

I remember a phi phi hotel owner telling me that she believed it came from the GI's stationed here during the war. The GI's liked a certain kind of flied lice, so they gave it the name American Fried Rice.

From a 70 year Thai woman on a tiny island...Take it for it's worth, but it sounds reasonable.

Lived in LOS for 12+yrs.

Wouldn't reside anywhere else.

yes, there are teething problems

My whinges - visa. I have had a retirement visa for many years.

Permanent residency is not an option.

Property ownership.

Never forget - no $$$, no honey.

Other than that, all is good.