New iPod's

Appreciate

more thrilled about the new Appletv for 99 bucks. hope they bring it to LOS.

Nice but locked down pretty tight....

locked what down? it includes airport, is now airplay, streaming music & HD vids right from your iphone/ipod/ipad to your tv. pretty neat.

As long as everything is in itunes and in the correct format..

Mine is hacked with XBMC which plays any format (hello all bittorents) so i can watch all the content form my comp or any drive over the wireless but it's the older Apple TV with the normal USB port (USB Flash drive to hack).

However, the new one has a smaller 'Apple tailored' USB port that will not fit any flash drive device.. Now that port is a 'software engineer's service port'

Apple are locking faster and harder lately. I just read the 'Dev Team' (the top Iphone jailbreakers) are giving up on iphone hacks.. "we're tired of cat and mouse tactics with Apple".

http://xbmc.org/download/

more thrilled about the new Appletv for 99 bucks. hope they bring it to LOS.

Nice but locked down pretty tight....

locked what down? it includes airport, is now airplay, streaming music & HD vids right from your iphone/ipod/ipad to your tv. pretty neat.

Mine is hacked with XBMC which plays any format (hello all bittorents) so i can watch all the content form my comp or any drive over the wireless but it's the older Apple TV with the normal USB port (USB Flash drive to hack).

However, the new one has a smaller 'Apple tailored' USB port that will not fit any flash drive device.. Now that port is a 'software engineer's service port'

Apple are locking faster and harder lately. I just read the 'Dev Team' (the top Iphone jailbreakers) are giving up on iphone hacks.. "we're tired of cat and mouse tactics with Apple".

And it no longer has any internal hard drive. At the moment, I can take mine anywhere with me, with all my iTunes Library (music and films), to watch on any tv.

I use the ATV Flash hack to get XBMC and other stuff. I did use atv usb creator, but had some problems with it.

I am still slightly confused what the 'magical' part is.

For instance I have 11 terabyte hard disks with HD, films, music, music videos etc that can be simply plugged into a TV. You can get this at Panthip.

Does the Apple TV give you access to NetFlix or external TV stations not available over the internet. I dont really understand what it does that you cant do already?

It would be great if you could use it to gain access to US or UK TV feeds.

I am still slightly confused what the 'magical' part is.

For instance I have 11 terabyte hard disks with HD, films, music, music videos etc that can be simply plugged into a TV. You can get this at Panthip.

Does the Apple TV give you access to NetFlix or external TV stations not available over the internet. I dont really understand what it does that you cant do already?

It would be great if you could use it to gain access to US or UK TV feeds.

Nothing magical mate, quite the opposite.. I'm not even sure the netflix thing exists to users outside the US but at the end of the day i do exactly what you do but through a hacked Apple TV. PC media centres are better in regards to hi-def and not locked at all when playing any of the gazillion formats out there.. That's always been the advantage of a PC media system.

That said i like the synergy of a Mac ecosystem... Macs, iphones, apps, cloud services, streaming (unbeatable speeds from their server farms) and itunes work amazingly well inside an arena which currently only google struggles to keep up with and Microsoft is nowhere to be seen. Unfortunately Apple sometimes forgets there is a world outside of the US.

Why dont you just plug your iphone/ipad/ipod into your TV?

who wants cables when you go wireless?

I guess it makes sense if you dont have a computer. Why dont you simply have a wireless connection to your TV and then use airplay on your ithing. I am not sure why you bother to download something to an ithing to watch it on the TV unless it is to travel.

If you didnt have wifi or you were in a hotel say, connecting to a TV via a cable can be a good idea. A cable is easier to carry around than an Apple TV which would also need a cable to the TV as well as wifi.

And the cable even charges the ithing.

Look I am not an anti Apple person. I have 4 or 5 nanos and an ipad, they are great. I just dont get the concept. As I say if I can use it to watch say England soccer matches with UK commentary, it would be cool or even to subscribe to Netflix.

Nothing magical mate, quite the opposite.. I'm not even sure the netflix thing exists to users outside the US but at the end of the day i do exactly what you do but through a hacked Apple TV. PC media centres are better in regards to hi-def and not locked at all when playing any of the gazillion formats out there.. That's always been the advantage of a PC media system.

That said i like the synergy of a Mac ecosystem... Macs, iphones, apps, cloud services, streaming (unbeatable speeds from their server farms) and itunes work amazingly well inside an arena which currently only google struggles to keep up with and Microsoft is nowhere to be seen. Unfortunately Apple sometimes forgets there is a world outside of the US.

Ok I am nearly getting there. It seems a very US product in terms of the Netflix usage which might not be available online.I suspect that the system has other uses like it can access the internet, sync with your email, utilize iphone/ipad apps etc which would be very useful if you didnt have an ipad or simply want a larger screen (not sure how the mouse/keyboard works).

So the PC/MAC usage or 'Mac ecosystem' as you call it gives it more sense. I suspect if you hack it though that you might lose half the added extras. As a pure wifi media player (especially in Thailand) it is not very competitive.

One of the big advantages of Thailand is that you can huge amounts of media (HD) at very low costs and the disadvantage is that you cannot access live media such as Netflix etc.

• 2 weeks later...