Lessons for doing business in Thailand

Jared2000

Question

I know there are some smart people out there that have done business here for a number of years. Tell me some things you have learned along the way.

Hiring practices: When I first came to Thailand I thought I could change this country through the way that I hired. What I found was that the people that I hired were not happy with the opportunity they were given, so I had high turnover in some of my positions. Later I learned that by changing the way I managed them, I could turn otherwise unproductive workers into productive workers. Thais are not use to the lack of oversite that I experienced in the US, they are not use to having flexibility. I am not saying their are inflexible, it is just not what they are used to. For example: when I first started, I did like they would do in the US for a sales person. I tought them about the product, gave them some product information, told them our target market and then pushed them out the door and told them to sell something. That obviously did not work, they did sell but not the size I wanted them to go after. Later, I had to become more involved in the sales and marketing aspect and teach them how to go after the big fish. Once I did that, the number of sales fell off, but when they made a sale, it was huge by comparison, so our revenue sharply went up.

Tell me your stories about lessons you learned and perhaps we can all learn something from each other.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet