The homeless farang looking guy

LakeGeneve

Question

I tend to avoid lower Sukhumvit, not much around there entices. However, the last couple of weeks I have been out with friends a bit and on 3 separate occasions observed a homeless farang looking guy! (In soi 4, soi 11 & near soi 20).

He is a tall guy in his mid 40s with a beard, smelly, dirty clothing (shirt and jeans) and clutching a dirty day pack seemingly with all of his belongings. I have not seen him beg nor seek a handout but each time I only passed him for a moment so I really have no idea.

I wonder how he got to this point? How does someone not have an exit strategy if all is going downhill in Thailand? Was he ripped off in one of those infamous scams we hear about? To be honest, I wanted to chat with him the last time but I was out with friends heading to a club and I didn't have the courage to do so.

I cannot imagine being homeless and destitute in another country with no friends or support. There are many stories of guys losing everything in the 'paradise of Thailand' but this is the first time I have seen a farang living on the streets who seemingly have lost everything. Even the few farang beggers/scammers ('money for a ticket home') over the years never seemed to be that bad. This guy really looks like he is just barely surviving.

Has anyone else seen this guy or do you know anything about him?

I tend to avoid lower Sukhumvit, not much around there entices. However, the last couple of weeks I have been out with friends a bit and on 3 separate occasions observed a homeless farang looking guy! (In soi 4, soi 11 & near soi 20).

He is a tall guy in his mid 40s with a beard, smelly, dirty clothing (shirt and jeans) and clutching a dirty day pack seemingly with all of his belongings. I have not seen him beg nor seek a handout but each time I only passed him for a moment so I really have no idea.

I wonder how he got to this point? How does someone not have an exit strategy if all is going downhill in Thailand? Was he ripped off in one of those infamous scams we hear about? To be honest, I wanted to chat with him the last time but I was out with friends heading to a club and I didn't have the courage to do so.

I cannot imagine being homeless and destitute in another country with no friends or support. There are many stories of guys losing everything in the 'paradise of Thailand' but this is the first time I have seen a farang living on the streets who seemingly have lost everything. Even the few farang beggers/scammers ('money for a ticket home') over the years never seemed to be that bad. This guy really looks like he is just barely surviving.

either mental illness or more likely a scam.

I have seen several scammers doing similar stuff. remember the guy who was always at the walkway up to BTS from Patumwaan Wireless Road staircase?

if he really wants to make some bread he should lose a portion of a lower limb and crawl on his belly like the guy one lower sukhumvit with his little plastic dish for coins. i saw him emerge once from a small doorway at the mouth of soi 8 just behind the subway. walking with a crutch until he got down to business

2 years ago, my German friend was cheated by the taxi driver in Bkk.

The driver drove away with ALL of her stuffs (and I mean ALL)

She was wandering along the street for many hours, didnt know what to do.

In the end, another taxi guy stopped and asked her where she wanted to go.

She explained what happened, and the guy took her in the car.

And tried to offer some money exchange with ******* her.

She said "No" then he left her off somewhere outside Bkk where she had no idea at all.

In the end she got help from an old thai woman, the woman offered her the place to sleep for a night.

The next day, she rang German embassy and got help with the ticket to fly back to Germany.

So, I always think that if you have problems when you are abroad.

Your home country embassy will always help you to get back home.

Or?

2 years ago, my German friend was cheated by the taxi driver in Bkk.

So, I always think that if you have problems when you are abroad.

Your home country embassy will always help you to get back home.

Or?

Glad if it was so, but it aint the rule. There is a 39-year-old german guy having had an accident at Hat Yai about a year ago who is still indoor patient and nobody cares about him but the thai clinic:

http://www.abendzeitung.de/bayern/210966

(link to a german newspaper)

No relatives, no embassy, nobody. What a shame for an educated country..

In case germans need help they can turn to:

Franziska Chawla, Sozialstation

Room 202, Building 34 Rajamangala University of Technology Krungthep 2 Nanglinchee Road, Bangkok 10120

Ëéç 202 µÖ¡ 34 ÃËÒÇÔ·ÂÒÅÑÂà·¤â¹âÅÂÕÃҪç¤Å¡Ãا෾ 2 ¶¹¹¹Ò§ÅÔ鹨Õè á¢Ç§·Øè§ÃËÒàæ ࢵÊÒ·Ã ¡Ãا෾à 10120

Telefon

Fax

Mobil +66 (0) 2287 3761

+66 (0) 2287 3762

+66 (0) 83 233 3622

Personally I do have my emergency packet from german automobile club. They will pick me up and bring me home. The membership covers more than just this, and it costs about 100 € per year. Guess that is worth it.

Personally I do have my emergency packet from german automobile club. They will pick me up and bring me home. The membership covers more than just this, and it costs about 100 € per year. Guess that is worth it.

Yep, that's the same I have (well, from the Austrian one, but worth the same). And even as I paid for 27 years now without using it - it might be very valuable one day!

lol at beej, did he owe you money or something?

Maybe hobo booting could be the new craze for the yoots back home. lol

He's just a cock, works a full time job... errr English teaching, but also begs for extra cash with a sign saying '' he's lost all of his money, and he needs 100, 300, 500, 1000, 10,000 baht donations to fund a flight home''.

He admitted to us that he was clearing 3,000-5,000 on average per evening.

lol at beej, did he owe you money or something?

Maybe hobo booting could be the new craze for the yoots back home. lol

He's just a cock, works a full time job... errr English teaching, but also begs for extra cash with a sign saying '' he's lost all of his money, and he needs 100, 300, 500, 1000, 10,000 baht donations to fund a flight home''.

He admitted to us that he was clearing 3,000-5,000 on average per evening.

at 5 days a week a full month is 100,000 Baht.

teachers dont make that, do they?

way back when i was hitchin down from a stint working in the canneries and fishin boats in Alaska I ran out of money. actually I got hammered and while sleeping I got rolled and woke up broke. I tried to beg or " pan handled" in Pikes Peak market in Seattle and it was some of the hardest time I ever spent trying to make a nickel. All day and only like $5 US. mentally i coudnt handle it.not good for my self esteem. i eventually found some mexicans and they took me to pick apples in Yakimaw where we smoked great weed, ate great and made a hand full of cash in less than a month. I have big hands and long arms and thats a big advantage. better than begging.

might be good idea for a thread - weirdest / most fun job you ever had

either mental illness or more likely a scam.

I have seen several scammers doing similar stuff. remember the guy who was always at the walkway up to BTS from Patumwaan Wireless Road staircase?

Just to clarify that it is my strong impression that this guy, as opposed to the BTS guy or others, is not begging or doing a scam.

He really seems to be doing it tough. Each time I have seen him he has not been putting his hand out and seems really lost in his own world and wandering around for a place to sleep or hangout.

My likely you are correct that he may have a mental illness of some sort and like many suffering from such an illness he seems to have fallen into 'a deep hole' and is just ignored/avoided by most..

A good looking French woman in her mid 30's tried to scam me a few years ago.

She told me a fabulous story about a husband being locked up for accidentally injuring a Thai guy while they were being mugged in Pattaya.

At first I believed she was in trouble, but all offers of help (translation, transport, influential people, use of phone to call France) were rejected... The only thing she needed was cash.

Even though she was 'a lawyer' and had 'lots of money in France', she had no friends, family or colleagues she could call.

A good looking French woman in her mid 30's tried to scam me a few years ago.

She told me a fabulous story about a husband being locked up for accidentally injuring a Thai guy while they were being mugged in Pattaya.

At first I believed she was in trouble, but all offers of help (translation, transport, influential people, use of phone to call France) were rejected... The only thing she needed was cash.

Even though she was 'a lawyer' and had 'lots of money in France', she had no friends, family or colleagues she could call.

Seems to me that she was hitting on you. Perhaps, she just wanted the cash for a short time room to have a menage a trois with you and your member!

French women are normally very direct but if she has been in Thailand for a while she may have adopted some local traits.

Saw this guy again on Suk soi 33 last Thursday at 4pm sitting on the corner outside the Londoner building. Exact same smelly and dirty clothes and day pack but he had a hair cut and clipped the beard.

He was not begging or asking anyone for money.

Maybe that's just how he likes to roll.

There is a guy I see almost every day on Soi 4. He's mid fifties, portly, red-faced and scruffy. He usually sits outside Annie's on the step before it opens.

He looks like an alky. He is wearing pants that go down to his calves these days. He has a medical problem with his lower legs - very swollen and look painful. He spends a lot of time picking scabs on them, and yesterday he was taping ice-bags to them.

Last week I was near Soi 8 and I saw him sleeping outside Bangkok Bank with his pants down and his ass showing. He had lost his shirt somewhere.

I would imagine he won't last more than a month now.

There is a guy I see almost every day on Soi 4. He's mid fifties, portly, red-faced and scruffy. He usually sits outside Annie's on the step before it opens.

He looks like an alky. He is wearing pants that go down to his calves these days. He has a medical problem with his lower legs - very swollen and look painful. He spends a lot of time picking scabs on them, and yesterday he was taping ice-bags to them.

Ghee ?

Guest Lollipop

Ghee ?

yah!

Guest Lollipop
I am sorry, it was me, didn't think I would make it into a forum. Anyone spare 100B?
I can buy you a dinner. Can you eat somtum?

Can eat!! but thats only 40B, can I keep the change too ?

you stingy man lol...