Flooding in Thailand

Chatty

Question

I have seen the news, we are having flooding in many provinces. BKK will have flooding soon, may be tomorrow. 21 Oct. Ratchada and Ladproa area be prepare na kha.

My uncle and his wife live in Pakchong, Korat. He called us yesterday it was better... but last night about 3 am. water came from no where... right now he and his wife stuck on the 2nd floor. and his son stuck in his school on the roof.

I asked him if he had anything to eat... he said this moment he couldn't eat anything. Just trying to get thru this trouble.

My aunty in Chaiyapoom told us that my rice field was under water already. It's in higher land it's not easy to get flooding. She said ppl at the hospital had to be on the roof.

Many ppl are in trouble kha... they need some important stuff... I will donate something such as milk, women's sanity pad/napkin, some food (ready to eat one). If you guys wanna join me please let me know na kha.

And I'll definitely help out with getting some supplies. I don't have the time to take them up there with you, but would be happy to help out anyway.

There are many ways to donate na kha... such as TV Channel 3 and 5 I saw them took stuff there by "Off Road" cars and trucks this morning.

women's sanity pad/napkin

i know quite a few women who need lots of these. sorry neung, my evil side comes out again. sanitary pad

I use the wrong word?? :oops:

You meant to say "sanitary."

"Sanity" is a person's mental stability... :lol:

In fairness, a women who is flooding without a sanitary pad would be losing her sanity I suspect.

women's sanity pad/napkin

i know quite a few women who need lots of these. sorry neung, my evil side comes out again. sanitary pad

I use the wrong word?? :oops:

You meant to say "sanitary."

"Sanity" is a person's mental stability... :lol:

So... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

However the two are linked in a way only a married man could know...

9 Dams around BKK have water level more than they can handle...

This year is so scary...

See news, hear news about flooding victims (included my uncle and his family in Paakchong, my aunties and their families in Chaiyapoom) I feel sorry for them.

I just bought some supplies. Pads, tissue paper, plastic bags....ready to pack for today.

They still need flash lights (please put batt. make it ready to use), candles with matches, baby diapers. canned food or ready to eat food cuz they have no place to cook. and milk.

If you can give away those stuff please help them. No need to join me na kha... you guys can go to TV Channel 3 office or in front of TV Channal 5 (near victory monument, BTS Sanampao) everyday na kha.

I will go to Kanchanaburi next weekend for 4 days.. pray nothing bad happen there.

It's only going to get worse over the next few decades. Building walls around Bangkok is like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

Move the capital.

This reminds me of a press conf I am attending tomorrow morning on the release of an ADB report on climate change challenges for the flood prone SE asian mega-cities of Bangkok, Jakarta and HCM.

http://www.fccthai.com/TheBulletin.html#438

The Asia and the Pacific is the most vulnerable region in the world to climate change. And the coastal mega cities of Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City and Manila - each with a population of around 10 million - face the prospect of rising sea levels and an increased frequency of extreme weather events.

Are they prepared?

How will businesses, roads, buildings and wastewater treatment facilities in each metropolis cope with major flooding events? Which sectors of society will be the hardest hit by extreme weather? And how will the damage -- estimated to run into billions of dollars -- impact regional GDPs?

In the lead up to December’s UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP 16) negotiations in Cancun, Mexico, the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and the World Bank (WB) have prepared a synthesis report which outlines how Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City and Manila stand to be impacted by climate change by the year 2050.

The report will be released at a press conference on Friday 22 October at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand (FCCT) in Bangkok. Climate change experts from each organization will be on hand to discuss the findings as well as steps governments can take to protect their people and their economies.

It's only going to get worse over the next few decades. Building walls around Bangkok is like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

Move the capital.

This reminds me of a press conf I am attending tomorrow morning on the release of an ADB report on climate change challenges for the flood prone SE asian mega-cities of Bangkok, Jakarta and HCM.

http://www.fccthai.com/TheBulletin.html#438

The Asia and the Pacific is the most vulnerable region in the world to climate change. And the coastal mega cities of Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City and Manila - each with a population of around 10 million - face the prospect of rising sea levels and an increased frequency of extreme weather events.

Are they prepared?

How will businesses, roads, buildings and wastewater treatment facilities in each metropolis cope with major flooding events? Which sectors of society will be the hardest hit by extreme weather? And how will the damage -- estimated to run into billions of dollars -- impact regional GDPs?

In the lead up to December’s UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP 16) negotiations in Cancun, Mexico, the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and the World Bank (WB) have prepared a synthesis report which outlines how Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City and Manila stand to be impacted by climate change by the year 2050.

The report will be released at a press conference on Friday 22 October at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand (FCCT) in Bangkok. Climate change experts from each organization will be on hand to discuss the findings as well as steps governments can take to protect their people and their economies.

Pretty interesting stuff, and please let us know some of the highlights from the conference if you can.

Indonesia seems to be the only red flagged country that fully grasps what is going on. They also have a horrible traffic system, which when combined with flooding, brings the city to a virtual standstill.

Billions of dollars are lost every year because of this. Bangkok's canals have been getting filled with concrete, stopping the drainage systems that were once in place. The city itself is sinking every year while the sea levels are rising. I hate being so cliche, but it's a recipe for disaster, and we're seeing just the beginning of what's to come right now.

From AP:

"Indonesia mulls moving its bursting capital

Thu Sep 30, 2:30 am ET

JAKARTA, Indonesia – Indonesia's president has a solution for the country's overcrowded, gridlocked and flood-prone capital: Move it.

"If we're honest, objective, Jakarta is no longer ideal," says Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who has dispatched teams as far off as the jungle-clad island of Borneo to look for alternative sites.

Past proposals to relocate the capital, a project that could cost this developing nation as much as $11 billion, have gone nowhere, and this one may well meet a similar fate. What is clear, experts say, is that something needs to be done before the city of 10 million bursts at the seams.

Waist-high water blocks roads and inundates homes during the rainy season, sometimes causing dozens of deaths by electrocution.

With more than 500 new cars and 1,500 motorbikes added every day to the 6.7 million vehicles already on the road, traffic moves at less than 6 miles (10 kilometers) an hour, turning short hops across town into two-hour crawls.

That's costing Jakarta — the largest city in the world without a subway — at least $1.4 billion a year in lost time and fuel, said Yopie Hidayat, a government spokesman.

The creation of high-occupancy traffic lanes has actually made matters worse.

Drivers stop to buy passengers known as "jockeys" so they can use the designated lanes.

"It's terrible, if you don't want to get stuck, you really have no choice but to take one," said commuter Yahya Irwandi, referring to a long line of young men and mothers cradling children on the side of the road, their index fingers pointing high into the air.

The boys hop into Yahya's car, pocketing a dollar each, allowing him to scoot into the still painfully slow three-in-one lane.

The city's dilapidated infrastructure, some dating from the Dutch colonial era a century ago, is crumbling.

Earlier this month, a 300-foot (100-meter) section of four-lane highway fell into a river in north Jakarta. On the opposite side of town, a 375-foot (125-meter) embankment on one of dozens of canals built almost a century ago to provide relief from flooding came tumbling down.

Several other countries have moved their capitals — Brazil, Pakistan, Malaysia and Myanmar to name a few — for reasons ranging from political to economic.

Indonesia has been thinking about it on and off for more than a half-century.

Sukarno, Indonesia's first president, suggested relocating to Borneo, in part because he wanted development across the country's 17,000 islands to be more evenly distributed.

He also recognized that Jakarta, initially a sleepy port town, wasn't going to hold up over time.

His successor, military strongman Suharto, pushed for Jonggol, a region 30 miles (50 kilometers) east of Jakarta, before his ouster amid pro-democracy street protests in 1998.

Yudhoyono is considering both locations, though he knows even if the ball gets rolling now, a new capital won't be functioning for at least another decade — well after his presidency expires, said Velix Wanggai from the presidential office.

Sonny Harry Harmadi, director of the Demography Institute at Indonesia University, favors a move.

"Just ask Jakarta's government, whether they are able to solve the (congestion) problem in five years," he said. "If no, then move it."

But Wendell Cox, an expert on urban policy and transportation with the consultancy Demographia, noted even if Indonesia creates a new capital, Jakarta itself may remain a business center with explosive population growth.

Packing up, he said, would be "a waste of money that could be much more effectively used to solve more pressing problems" such as poverty reduction.""

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100930/ap_on_re_as/as_indonesia_moving_the_capital

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/202625/disaster-was-man-made

Disaster was man-made

Devastating Korat flood caused by construction

Published: 22/10/2010 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

Widespread encroachment on water retention areas and the blocking of natural drainage ways by construction projects are being blamed for the disastrous flood which has beset Nakhon Ratchasima.

It rained throughout the northeastern province for six consecutive days before the flood. The amount of rain water was measured at more than 600 millimetres against the yearly average of 1,000mm.

This is a 100 year event, evidence of a Changing Climate.

Thai Developers constantly violate the law and are never held accountable.

Also see:

Condos taking over the jungle

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=2983

we're so lucky we're living in the building.have seen news on tv and feel so horrible. I can't really help them.Cheers!

That's alright, girl.

but helping doesn't mean you have to be there or donate big amount of money. Just do as you can do. Small things can make great, cool stuff....

I'm facing flooding problem myself, but I'm lucky that I stay in town. However, I just do what I can. Small supplies and food that I bought for them might help some families, some ppl. who knows, right?

We might concern anything's happening in front of our face... human nature!!

Well, my house in Bangbuathong should have flooding by now, but from coperating of ppl in the village and government helping, we still survive, i can see water level in river is higher than village street level.... Mr.PM went to visit Tambol Tha-it (my area) yesterday. Thks kha.

My rice field in Chaiyapoom is ok now... Jasmine rice still ok after a few days underwater, my invest isn't waste.

I heard from the radio. Today is the day... Chaopraya river water level will be high up, plus some water from the sea and yeah!! rain. We will see how good that BKK metro can handle flooding. They are trying to evacuate ppl who live by river. Some families denied to move out. I think they concern about robbery than flooding.

Not sure how many croc. could escape from the farms... I heard 6 of them could. 4 of them were cought 2 still be somewhere.

Post Bag, 29 Oct 10

City's flooded future

In the Nov 21, 2009 issue of Irrawaddy (''Bangkok's Future Filled with Floods'' by Rob Corben), Professor Danai Thaitakoo of Chulalongkorn University was quoted as asking: ''How can we fill in the delta and build larger cities if they cannot support the level of flooding in Bangkok today?''

It is doubtful anyone has tried to answer Prof Danai since that question was asked in 2009, and it is likely Thais will keep ignoring such important questions far into the future.

If someone like Prof Danai moved to China and asked such questions, the Chinese would listen and formulate responses; so all smart Thais should simply move to China where they would be appreciated and not ignored. If I were smart that is what I would do.

Experience Thailand once in a lifetime _ then leave before it kills you.

GUY BAKER

Hmmmm.........