Restaurant Reviews

English_Bob

Question

• Answers 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The reason I opened this forum is I have just had lunch at a new place and wanted somewhere to review it...

Located on Sukhumvit at the top of Soi 12. It's in the little plaza that contains Sunrise Tacos and Pizza Company. It used to be the Lidl Supermarket.

V8 Diner is an old concept - back in the 50's, American kids used to hang out at the diners, drinking milkshakes and eating hotdogs. It has long been a staple image of American movies and has become iconic itself.

Firstly then, the decor is excellent - there are the diner booths, linoleum floor, a juke box, Coke machine and posters from the 50's and 60's.

The menu was surprisingly limited - I was hoping for a choice of 10 burgers, ribs, hotdogs etc. What I got was a LOT of Thai dishes and only one burger and one hotdog! But I was in the mood for Americana so I ordered a chilli cheese hotdog.

Once again I was disappointed. If there is one thing you can count on Americans for, it's obscenely large portions of food. My hotdog cost 210 baht, plus cheese at 30 baht and chilli at 40 baht. what I got was barely a 6 inch Oscar Meyer hotdog, two teaspoons of chilli and a slice of processed cheese. That's nearly $10 for a small sized hotdog!

I ordered a strawberry milkshake to go with it and this was pretty good. It was thick and contained ice-cream. It had the right sundae glass and looked the part. It was tasty, if a little overly sweet, but pretty good nonetheless.

Nut after my tiny, unsatisfying hotdog, I was still hungry. So I ordered a chocolate brownie. This came in at 250 baht. The taste was good, but it was over-microwaved and so the texture was spongey. I wasn't given a choice of ice-cream - it was delivered with chocolate, although I would have chosen vanilla.

In total my bill for a milkshake, hotdog and brownie was 660 baht... plus vat brought it to 698 baht.

The service was very good - staff were eager to please - possibly because it's a new venue. English was a bit limited and a bit formal. whenever she collected anything from my table she said, "Do I have your permission?" lol Like I said, nice but a bit formal.

The food was OK... but at that price and in that location, I expected much better. I had hoped for towering sandwiches and sloppy joes. For much less money, I could have had much better food in greater quantities at Bully's up the road.

Generally then I give this place a thumbs down. However, it IS new and places must adapt. I hope to see it do well, but it will have to go a long way to make those dishes value for money.

Not sure if anyone has ever mentioned Banana Leaf Silom Complex on TF before. It's located at the basement of Silom Complex. The place serves authentic Thai food.

Their signature dishes are "Gai Ma-nao" (deep fried chicken with mayo and lime), "Puu Pad Phong-Ga-rhee" (Crab curry), and "Gaeng Som Cha-om Khai" (hot and sour soup with omelette and some sort of veggie).

Price is very reasonable and comparing to the quality of the food, it's very good value.

Service isn't their selling point.

Guest Lollipop

Don't like Moo gata family(Jim-Joom) at Ratchada.

- some foods taste like feet.

- poor services

- No napkins.

- some waitress/tor have no idea what they are doing while working.

- They keep gossiping while customer need them.

- you can't choose a table you need.

- when asking for the bill you need to ask 5 times with different waiter/tress.

Guest Lollipop
i found the small japanese resturant just opposite the imperial queen park hotel. it is in the upstart of the massage shop. the food was great fresh ingredient with reasonable price and alot of japanese ppl there.im very impress of the food quality from such a small place. :P
One on the 1st floor sucks.

I have always found Crepes and Co to be a good meal out...

They have a HUGE breakfast deal, that can take up the entire morning with eating and drinking!

Their savoury and sweet crepes are perfect - thin and soft with crispy edges. Just as I remember them from holidays in France.

Also the service there is second to none.... they always remember my name, are quick, courteous and I can't remember them ever messing up an order for me. The owner - Serge - is a pleasant man and always says 'Hello'.

It's not cheap - I think I usually spend about 500 baht for a light lunch, but it's good quality food and the setting is fantastic.

I believe he has a new branch in Thong Lor, but I'm talking about the Sukhumvit Soi 12 branch.

I have always found Crepes and Co to be a good meal out...

They have a HUGE breakfast deal, that can take up the entire morning with eating and drinking!

Their savoury and sweet crepes are perfect - thin and soft with crispy edges. Just as I remember them from holidays in France.

Also the service there is second to none.... they always remember my name, are quick, courteous and I can't remember them ever messing up an order for me. The owner - Serge - is a pleasant man and always says 'Hello'.

It's not cheap - I think I usually spend about 500 baht for a light lunch, but it's good quality food and the setting is fantastic.

I believe he has a new branch in Thong Lor, but I'm talking about the Sukhumvit Soi 12 branch.

Been there only once on a date few years ago. First thing that really impressed me till now was their service plus comfy lovely atmosphere. Good food and great service even though a bit pricey but I am willing to pay to get "the whole package" unless that restaurant is too expensive for me to afford.

Guest Lollipop

no one mentions real Thai restaurants.

There are many good ones in Huay kwang market.

- taste good

- friendly services

- reasonable price

- many cute chicks and lady boys walking around.

Guest Lollipop

- taste good

- friendly services

- reasonable price

I live close to Huay Kwan, where exactly is the market?

Eeeerrr for the food of course not the lady boys HONEST!

I can bring you and show you how delicious of lady boys there. :wink:

Guest Lollipop
I always go to sukishi resturant @ central Chengwattana . yum yum!!!

Scoozi home delivery is cool. Yet, we got to wait but at least we can be a potato in front of the TV.

hahah i like smoke salmon and parma ham pizza from scoozi delivery, never have the sit-down pizza at their shop yet.

long time ago, I ordered eggplant parmesan and caesar salad. 1st one was ok but I was not hoping to eat caesar salad that totally taste like garlic. :x

- taste good

- friendly services

- reasonable price

Buy 1 get 2 free kinda restaurant huh

Guest Lollipop

- taste good

- friendly services

- reasonable price

Buy 1 get 2 free kinda restaurant huh

by 2 you meant lady boy balls?