My new Toshiba stutters on AVI's!

yamahacrasher

WTF could be wrong?? Do I need to download some codec pack? It stutters and jumps a bit on normal downloaded AVI's, on streaming news/video, but NOT on 10Gb .mkv files!?!?

Any help on this?? Please!

For watching avi's I use GOM player, win Media player, and that other traffic cone player....forgot the name. Same on all, no smooth playing.

I got 4Gb ram, i5 CPU and ****, should handle video with no probs right??

HELP!

Tom

Check in control panel if you have K-Lite Codec pack installed...

I have some problems with the latest releases of them too...

When i playback in mediaplayer it stutters, but when i playback in any other program it works fine...

Right click on the video you want to playback and select OPEN WITH and choose a different program than the default one... If playback still stutters then it might be a codec conflict...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=5946&s=775

go to this link to download Klite codec pack and run it...

just click next and don't change the default settings until you reach the screen where it asks for DXVA HARDWARE ACCELERATION.

There select ENABLE Internal decoder for H.264 video (first option) but DO NOT ENABLE THE SECOND ONE!!!! (second on is VC-1 video)

Click next until you reach the speaker selection screen and choose how many speakers you have. click next until it starts installing (make sure your internet explorer windows are closed!!!!) and after installation everything SHOULD be fine.....

If it's not, harddisk activity might be a problem.... if you have a very poor antivirus program, it might be scanning the file as you are playing it back causing interruptions...

Lots of other option might cause your problems, but these are most likely...

good luck and let me know if it worked

This is usually caused by a broken or corrupted codec or if someone has messed up a mux and put a codec in the wrong container, but if it's happening on multiple files and files of a certain type then I would say it's the codec.

I know it's already been said but the k-Lite codec pack is a safe bet and all the versions come with Divx and Xvid or you can try the CCP one. K-Lite comes with Media Player Classic. Check all the settings in your media player too - framerate sync etc. This type of thing can cause this problem.

Judging by the symptoms I would say it's almost certainly codec related and not a hardware issue.

Check in control panel if you have K-Lite Codec pack installed...

I have some problems with the latest releases of them too...

When i playback in mediaplayer it stutters, but when i playback in any other program it works fine...

Right click on the video you want to playback and select OPEN WITH and choose a different program than the default one... If playback still stutters then it might be a codec conflict...

http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=5946&s=775

go to this link to download Klite codec pack and run it...

just click next and don't change the default settings until you reach the screen where it asks for DXVA HARDWARE ACCELERATION.

There select ENABLE Internal decoder for H.264 video (first option) but DO NOT ENABLE THE SECOND ONE!!!! (second on is VC-1 video)

Click next until you reach the speaker selection screen and choose how many speakers you have. click next until it starts installing (make sure your internet explorer windows are closed!!!!) and after installation everything SHOULD be fine.....

If it's not, harddisk activity might be a problem.... if you have a very poor antivirus program, it might be scanning the file as you are playing it back causing interruptions...

Lots of other option might cause your problems, but these are most likely...

good luck and let me know if it worked

Tried 3 different players ages ago, all same.

Had codec 6.5.5. installed, downgraded to 6.5.0 but still same. Followed your instructions.

Have free Avast anti virus installed, never caused me probs before.

Have to investigate the frame rate then. Another day, this comp is about to exit through the window right now...

Problem solved.

Found that "Toshiba HDD protection" was running in the background, always. Turned it off, now all plays fine.

I don't know what this HDD protection is, maybe some safety in case the comp is dropped.

Thanks a lot for all the input tho guys!

Tom

You're welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.

Problem solved.

Found that "Toshiba HDD protection" was running in the background, always. Turned it off, now all plays fine.

I don't know what this HDD protection is, maybe some safety in case the comp is dropped.

Tom

Haha... did you get the new Iphone 4G yet mate? :D

Problem solved.

Tom

Haha... did you get the new Iphone 4G yet mate? :D

;)

Yep, got it and absolutely love it.