Thai DL

admin

Question

I think I'm going to go down and get a Thai drivers license. I have a US and Gibraltar automobile license (no motorcycle) but wanted to get both a auto and motorcycle license here.

I have an educational visa and I understand that they will issue you a license with the ED visa so that part shouldn't be a problem.

For those who have actually been through the process:

1. Do I have to take any tests other than the vision and reaction time sort of stuff for either license?

2. I have to show proof of residence. I understand that if you have a work permit you don't need this but if you don't have a work permit it is required. From my understanding this involves going down to your embassy and getting a letter signed by them saying that you live where you say you live. Cost is about $50 USD.

3. Do I need a proof of residence for each license if I'm apply for both at the same time? Seems like an unnecessary cost since they will already have my proof of residence for the other.

4. Some people have said that you can get a proof of residence for 100 baht from Thai immigration. But, Chaeng Wattana immigration does not provide this service. Not sure why. Any other immigration offices it would make sense to try or is there an easier (i.e. cheaper) way to get the proof of residence?

Bill, I just renewed mine last month at the facility by the Chit Lom BTS.

1. Not sure if you have to take any test for the motorcycle licensee. I did not because I already have it.

2.Make an appointment with the embassy online...no waiting...just walk up to the window. I took my original lease with me, but no one ever asked to see it. Just print and fill out the form you can get from the embassy website. Bring your passport also. Drop off the form, then go pay the cashier. Wait a few minutes and they will call you up to the window to sign in front of the Notary.

3. No. I only had one for both licenses.

If you got to Chit Lom you don't need to take any pics with you...they take your pic on the spot. There is also a place just outside the compound where you can get your medical certificate...just ask around. 100bht.

You don't have to do the driving test, but they might check your eye vision, your co-ordination and your speed of reaction.

Bring along your passport, work permit since they would like to prove your address in Thailand, your current driving license issued by where your come from.

Don't be bothered to bring photos, either they will say your face is too big/ too small or the type of the paper is not right. I think every office has a quick photo booth available.

Also have heard that different offices have different rules.... :roll:

Can't find the official website.

Good luck.

I got both of mine on Paholyothin Road.

This agency was the best organised, most efficient Government department I have experienced in.... well... anywhere!

I walked in and got 2 licenses within 45 minutes.

The following year I got them exchanged for 2 five year licenses with 30 minutes.

They have a dedicated foreigner section who speak English and work well.

The process for me was collecting the paperwork - pain in the ass. I paid 30 quid for proof of my address from the embassy. The way they knew I lived there was, I told them. No proof, I could have told them I lived in the moon.

I later found out about the 'cheap version' of the address letter - but I can't remember where to get it.

I had to do some tests -

Peripheral Vision

Colour Blindness

Depth Perception

Reaction Speed

All pretty easy. However I heard that Americans (and other nationalities who drive on the wrong side of the road) have to take a practical test.

I got both of mine on Paholyothin Road.

This agency was the best organised, most efficient Government department I have experienced in.... well... anywhere!

I walked in and got 2 licenses within 45 minutes.

The following year I got them exchanged for 2 five year licenses with 30 minutes.

They have a dedicated foreigner section who speak English and work well.

The process for me was collecting the paperwork - pain in the a*s. I paid 30 quid for proof of my address from the embassy. The way they knew I lived there was, I told them. No proof, I could have told them I lived in the moon.

I later found out about the 'cheap version' of the address letter - but I can't remember where to get it.

I had to do some tests -

Peripheral Vision

Colour Blindness

Depth Perception

Reaction Speed

All pretty easy. However I heard that Americans (and other nationalities who drive on the wrong side of the road) have to take a practical test.

I heard they had us drive because it was fooking amazing that we could drive on BOTH the right and the wrong (left) side....what a talented lot! :twisted:

I still find it amazing that even in countries where they drive on the wrong side of the road (i.e the UK, Thailand, and UK territories) that on the streets they walk on the right. Even escalators are on the right.

Just goes to prove that the Brits f*cked it up a long time ago and won't let go of their mistake :-)

I still find it amazing that even in countries where they drive on the wrong side of the road (i.e the UK, Thailand, and UK territories) that on the streets they walk on the right. Even escalators are on the right.

Just goes to prove that the Brits f*cked it up a long time ago and won't let go of their mistake :-)

there are pre automobile reasons for 'driving' on the left; it was to allow people access to their sword (as most were right handed) in cases of violent altercation. The first to change to the right hand side was Napoleon as he was left handed. As he ruled most of Europe at this time, most European countries changed. Britain and her colonies retained the original way. Even the US used the left until the middle of the 19th Century when they were best buddies with France and copied many things from them, including 'driving' on the right.

So the Brits did not '**** it up'. This was the original and sensible side to use.

Would also disagree that people walk on the right in UK and other countries. Most tend to walk on the left in cities. In more rural areas walking on the right hand side of the road is so you can see oncoming traffic.

:roll:

there are pre automobile reasons for 'driving' on the left; it was to allow people access to their sword (as most were right handed) in cases of violent altercation. The first to change to the right hand side was Napoleon as he was left handed. As he ruled most of Europe at this time, most European countries changed. Britain and her colonies retained the original way. Even the US used the left until the middle of the 19th Century when they were best buddies with France and copied many things from them, including 'driving' on the right.

So the Brits did not 'f*ck it up'. This was the original and sensible side to use.

Would also disagree that people walk on the right in UK and other countries. Most tend to walk on the left in cities. In more rural areas walking on the right hand side of the road is so you can see oncoming traffic.

so Bill that would make

Me your "right-hand man" (your friend sits to your right as it is awkward to draw your sword and act on that position)

while Iain (with this kind of attitude :wink: )

must be seated on your left, as of course he seems to be an iffy character! :shock: --- well definitely a character!

So the Brits did not 'f*ck it up'. This was the original and sensible side to use.

So, this is the original and sensible thing . . . if we all carried f*cking swords in modern society. Since we don't it's just plain silly. :-)

When British society graduated from guys in armor randomly attacking each other to (mostly) unarmed football hooligans attacking each other the Brits should have taken the opportunity to switch sides.

As of today, 66.1% of the world's population lives in counties that drive to the right and 72% of world's road distance carries traffic to the right.

And what I meant by people walking on the right side . . . it's about the flow of traffic. When two people approach each other from different directions the tendency is to yield by moving to the right. And you can look around in the UK or Bangkok and notice that if you watch a busy street pedestrian traffic flow tends to stay to the right.

And look at escalators like on the BTS and MRT, all the ones I can think of have the flow of traffic going to the right. The few exceptions to this that I can think of (mostly MRT) makes for very awkward traffic flow since people getting onto the escalator have to cross the path of the people getting off. If it flowed to the right then there would be no need for those getting on to cross the path of those getting off (the escalator).

So, this is the original and sensible thing . . . if we all carried f*cking swords in modern society. Since we don't it's just plain silly. :-)

When British society graduated from guys in armor randomly attacking each other to (mostly) unarmed football hooligans attacking each other the Brits should have taken the opportunity to switch sides.

As of today, 66.1% of the world's population lives in counties that drive to the right and 72% of world's road distance carries traffic to the right.

And what I meant by people walking on the right side . . . it's about the flow of traffic. When two people approach each other from different directions the tendency is to yield by moving to the right. And you can look around in the UK or Bangkok and notice that if you watch a busy street pedestrian traffic flow tends to stay to the right.

And look at escalators like on the BTS and MRT, all the ones I can think of have the flow of traffic going to the right. The few exceptions to this that I can think of (mostly MRT) makes for very awkward traffic flow since people getting onto the escalator have to cross the path of the people getting off. If it flowed to the right then there would be no need for those getting on to cross the path of those getting off (the escalator).

Well if you don't like it Admin you know what you do pal. :lol::lol:

I don't care if the traffic is carried of left or right. Can live with both.

Brits invented many thing which in the end they are not good in any of those. :roll:

haha, well in defense of the brits I have to say they are probably better drivers than most - there is a lot of agression on the roads there but at least they know the rules.

I don't care if the traffic is carried of left or right. Can live with both.

Brits invented many thing which in the end they are not good in any of those. :roll:

haha, well in defense of the brits I have to say they are probably better drivers than most - there is a lot of agression on the roads there but at least they know the rules.

I absolutely agree. Brits "might be better drivers then some" Once, a grandma cut in front of me for a parking lot.....this is so abusive.

Senior citizen Brit is rather aggrassive behind the wheal. :x

Hooooooowwwwww daaaaaaaaare yoooouuuuuuuu!!!! :evil: :wink:

if u don't like it ... well u know the rest !!! :D:D

Just saying from my observation. When I wanted to try golf, a friend...of course--Brit got me a book about "How to play golf"

Brits like to do things by the books, no? :lol:

No offend, I love Brits though. :wink:

Just saying from my observation. When I wanted to try golf, a friend...of course--Brit got me a book about "How to play golf"

i f**king hate them !!! :twisted: :twisted:

I heard they had us drive because it was fooking amazing that we could drive on BOTH the right and the wrong (left) side....what a talented lot! :twisted:

Well I heard they made a blooper reel that they run on Thai Youtube...

The rest about pedestrians walking on the right is rubbish. ESPECIALLY in Thailand where pedestrians saunter and meander on any side of the pavement they want, only switching sides when I am walking towards them or trying to get past. And don't forget the sudden U-turn so I nearly knock some little old lady over and she glares at me for not knowing she was going to turn around without warning.

The reason people SHOULD stand on the right on an escalator is that the right hand is usually stronger and can hold onto the handrail better. I don't know what it means when teenagers sit in the middle of the escalator step for the 20 second trip from top to bottom.

An Irishman would have bought you a book called, "Champion Cat Racers of the 19th Century."

(And you would have STILL won the golf game, because he would have been drunk at tee-off)

well seeing as we just won the ryder cup ... she might just struggle a tad !!! :D:D

i f**king hate them !!! :twisted: :twisted:

Woooops....sorreyy, I forgot that you are....errrr ... :?:

An Irishman would have bought you a book called, "Champion Cat Racers of the 19th Century."

(And you would have STILL won the golf game, because he would have been drunk at tee-off)

If I were Ciaran, I would be offended.

Really?

Let me try a little experiment...

"Hey Ciaran you feckin' slapheaded alky bastard! Are you offended?"

Really?

Let me try a little experiment...

"Hey Ciaran you feckin' slapheaded alky bastard! Are you offended?"

Cianran is probably pissing drunk as you said. :D

Changing long standing traditions is fine and dandy when you come from a country that has had to beg, borrow, steal, buy and invent traditions over the last 2 centuries or so, but when you have a tradition (sticking to the left of the road) that goes back 2000 years, then it is a bit more difficult to change.

And, at the end of the day, it has been proven that driving on the left hand side is safer (though Thailand may be the exception to this rule!!)

Changing long standing traditions is fine and dandy when you come from a country that has had to beg, borrow, steal, buy and invent traditions over the last 2 centuries or so, but when you have a tradition (sticking to the left of the road) that goes back 2000 years, then it is a bit more difficult to change.

And, at the end of the day, it has been proven that driving on the left hand side is safer (though Thailand may be the exception to this rule!!)

so what you're saying basically about traditions is that you lot are so ossified, calcified and rigid that you ought to be euthanized for your own good?

i wouldn't go that far (mainly because i'd miss the Prem but feel free to euthanize United). but you lot could be a little bit more adaptable. "we did it 2000 years ago" is a pretty lame excuse.