Deadly Jelly Fish in Thailand's Ocean

Bruce551

Question

JellyFishThailand.jpg

Jellyfish populations have boomed in the past few years – a phenomenon attributed to global warming, overfishing and organic pollution from agricultural waste and fertilizers.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/419270-are-swedish-tour-operators-covering-up-the-threat-of-deadly-jellyfish-in-thailand/

Are Swedish tour operators covering up the threat of deadly jellyfish in Thailand

Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet has reported on another Scandinavian fatality in Thailand following a box jellyfish sting.

Ann Nordh, 59, from Jonkoping, was in Thailand on holiday with her husband. She died last Sunday in the Thai resort of Cha-am, after contact with a suspected deadly box jellyfish.

This follows the case of another Swedish tourist, Moa Bergman, aged 11, who was killed by a jellyfish off the tourist island of Koh Lanta in Thailand in 2008, and another case in Malaysia, earlier this year, when a Swedish tourist, Carina Lofgren died a quick but painful death after a box jellyfish attack.

In Carina's case, there was strong suspicion of a cover-up by the Malaysian authorities.

The doctor wrote "drowning" in my wife's autopsy report, says widower Ronnie Löfgren.

Ronny was just three feet behind his wife Carina, 45, when the deadly jellyfish attacked.

“Suddenly she started screaming and scratched her legs frantically. I understood immediately that it was a jellyfish attack " he says.

A few minutes later Carina Löfgren died in her husband's arms. He could still see the tentacles around his wife’s legs.

The accident occurred in February on the island of Langkawi in Malaysia.

“The doctor concluded that drowning was the sole cause of Carina's death. But that's bullshit. I saw the jellyfish and the damage it causedâ€.

“The only conclusion I can draw from this is that Malaysians want to hide the truth about the dangers of the deadly jellyfish. They are terrified of the fact that jellyfish can scare away tourists, "he says.

There are similar fears of a cover up in Thailand from Scandinavian tour operators fearful of losing custom if the prevalence of box jellyfish becomes widely known.

Aftonbladet reported that Swedish tour operators are still playing down the threat, and only warning holidaymakers locally about the risks, when they arrive at their hotels.

Thai authorities are aware, and according to the marine biology centre in Phuket, box jellyfish have become more common in recent years in the waters off Malaysia and Thailand. The centre issued an official warning last winter when an unusual number of the deadly jellyfish were found off the coast.

20 answers to this question

I bet it's statistically more dangerous to play golf on a clear sunny day...especially if you are playing with Bill.

I'll take my chances next time I'm in the ocean :)

Bet you wont take chances with your child in the sea.

I get the sense that the jellyfish around Cha Am and Hua Hin are becoming greater in number in the last few years. I tread very carefully when I am down there as getting stung by a box jellyfish hurts likes buggery (not that I have ever been buggered!). For children there are real risks of going into toxic shock though death is very rare.

Box jellyfishs been around Thaland's beaches for ages. My sister and I got attacked once when we were young teens at Cha-am beach (in October, remember it clearly). It was painful like my skind got brun but my sister and I didn't die. It just took us years to recover from scars.

A doctor at the navy hospital told us, never go to the beach during rainy season. :roll:

They should put a warning sign somewhere.

I dont think that will be happening. There will never be official confirmation or provision of information which could damage the tourism trade in this country. Just like the lack of information provided to hotel guests in Phukets monsoon. Double digit drownings this season again, polite small print warnings which carry no weight.

The box jellyfish is a scary one though, apparently the pain is comparable to childbirth. A bloke cannot handle that sort of interruption in a surf session....

I've been stung by jellyfish before on Phuket if I remember correctly. It was a strange and painful feeling. The sting made my chest and arm freeze up, and it takes a second to realize what it is that's giving you that pain.

They didn't get me bad, but I had no clue they were out there until that happened. Then I went back in...

Still, I'd bring my kid into the water if I brought her to the beach. It's more dangerous to bring her in a car, and I'm not going to worry about that too much either.

Box jellyfishs been around Thaland's beaches for ages. My sister and I got attacked once when we were young teens at Cha-am beach (in October, remember it clearly). It was painful like my skind got brun but my sister and I didn't die. It just took us years to recover from scars.

A doctor at the navy hospital told us, never go to the beach during rainy season. :roll:

Phuket, seems there are more jellyfish around durring rainy season, maybe SW winds blow them in from Indian ocean. Plus, more dead stuff in the ocean now means more jellyfish.

A friend of mine who lives in Sweden told me about this box jellyfishes since around January this year. My friends and I planned to spend holidays getaway in the South of Thailand and be island hopper then one of our friend told us about this box jellyfishes as it's a serious warning in Sweden at the time especially someone death because of box jellyfishes here in Thailand BUT funny enough there is no news about this here in Thailand AT ALL.... Or there could be and I could be wrong.... :roll:

PS : We did make it to the South as initial plan and had fun there without any thought of box jellyfishes.

Box jellies are a huge problem in northern Australia, trust me you don't want to take a chance of be stung by one, they will kill you in the worst possible way.

A lot of money has gone into researching these creatures in Australia at various universities in northern Australia, they are a seasonal problem in Australia.

They are found in the coastal waters between Nov to May our rainy season, they breed in the rivers and the make their way out to open water, they avoid rough waters where their are waves and prefer the calm still waters, the only animal know to consume them is sea turtle, so with the reduction in the numbers of sea turtles we have the increase in jelly fish.

We provide netted swimming enclosures for locals and tourist to swim in that the box jelly fish cannot penetrate.

The only thing that helps to reduce the impact of the sting is vinegar, pour it over the sting area to neutralise the stinging venom, then get the patient to the hospital, do not remove the tenticles with your own bare hands or you will become a victim too.

If you want to see what these this can do just go to my profile pics, I have posted a photo of a sting victim, be warned it's pretty graphic, the young girl did survive but the scars are for life.

Think youselves lucky in Thailand, we have crocodiles and huges sharks swimming at our beaches as well as killer jellyfish.

Just be aware when entering the water and remember kids are the most vulnerable to the boxjellies so alway make them wear a stinger suit if going in the water during the stinger season.

Think on the bright side, I believe in the ability of "can" eat most strange food of our beloved Thai people then you guys have got nothing to worry about. We sure would find a way to eat these box jellyfishes in no time same as we did with those black sea cucumber or Halothuria atra in formal name although these black dude is harmless. :lol: