Thais Look to the Supernatural

Interesting article in the NY Times about Thais and superstitions.

Each year, Thais collectively spend about 1.9 billion baht, or about $63 million, on visits to traditional fortune tellers, according to the Kasikorn Research Center in Bangkok. On average, they consulted fortune tellers three times in 2008, the latest year for which data were available, according to Kasikorn. That is an increase from twice a year earlier in the decade.
I had a couple of girls ask me to stay in their room cos they were 'scared of ghosts'.

I started the rumour that Thai ghosts are scared of naked white guys... I think it's good if the rest of you spread it.

(Oh and for overseas travel, foreign ghosts are scared of naked Thai girls)

I like the way you think there Bob!!! Seriously.

Thai people are ridiculously superstitious and tend to believe strongly in ghosts.

I don't think it will hurt for you to use their weakness to manipulate them, because they use our weaknesses to manipulate us!

A girl here on TF ruined my relationship by lying about me just before Christmas and then again today. My "girl" would rather believe another beatch than me SO... Maybe a ghost will get her some day.... BOO

Now I guess I have a new EX. Therefore I say terrific idea! :)

Anyone have some detergent?

Can I stay at your complex to assist in scaring off the boogie-man?

Guest Lollipop
I had a couple of girls ask me to stay in their room cos they were 'scared of ghosts'.

I started the rumor that Thai ghosts are scared of naked white guys... I think it's good if the rest of you spread it.

(Oh and for overseas travel, foreign ghosts are scared of naked Thai girls)

they just tried to get you into bed and have 3some.

A girl here on TF ruined my relationship by lying about me just before Christmas and then again today. My "girl" would rather believe another beatch than me SO... Maybe a ghost will get her some day.... BOO

That sounded pretty gay.......

You would know better than me sir.

I'm about as far from gay as a man can get, how's your I-Pad?

I'd rather write words like who-re etc, but don't want any flags from abusive, power hungry, cowardly moderators. I probably shouldn't have said shite about it, but it seemed to fit the ghost topic.

Wow, that was funny, they even had a transvestite for Beej:

" Mrs.H. - you mean the Lao Khao ghost.. "

Still, the ghost-boogie man idea might be a great way to add some scratch lines on my long totem pole.

You would know better than me sir.

I'm about as far from gay as a man can get, how's your I-Pad?

I'd rather write words like who-re etc, but don't want any flags from abusive, power hungry, cowardly moderators. I probably shouldn't have said shite about it, but it seemed to fit the ghost topic.

Toughen up Princess, no one likes a cry baby.

I'd rather write words like who-re etc, but don't want any flags from abusive, power hungry, cowardly moderators. I probably shouldn't have said shite about it, but it seemed to fit the ghost topic. feature=player_embedded.

Well, if you don't want any flags from us power hungry cowardly mods, then use better judgment and avoid making id-iot mistakes like trying to slip direct personal attacks under the radar.

Leave the drama off the site, s'il vous plait.

Actually many people are superstitious, not just the Thais, to be fair to them. Look at the especially large number of Singaporeans, Malaysians and Hong Kongers flocking to Thailand every year to pray for good luck and success. I am guilty of that myself. It's just a human thing (at least to some of us). But I think for us, most of our so-called 'superstition' stops there. I'm sure we are not to that extent whereby we will believe that a naked white male scares off ghosts :)

I heard there was a guesthouse in Chiang Mai with two gay ghosts.

If you stay there, they put the willies up you...

:twisted:

Did you enjoy that?

Will you be sharing photos of your experience?

Mike, your attempts at humorous comebacks are on a par with your attempts at superiority and bitchy asides.

D minus - could do better.

I heard it was owned by a Scotsman called Phil McCavity.

He has two Irish business partners called Gerald Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzgerald.

(sorry :oops: )

ah, but you forgot his cousin Phil McCracken...

(also sorry)

I heard it was owned by a Scotsman called Phil McCavity.

He has two Irish business partners called Gerald Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzgerald.

(sorry :oops: )

and they hired a joiner who took the drawers off a tallboy...

:roll: