Alcohol Sales in Thailand

admin

Question

8 answers to this question

As I understand it, places like 7-11 and Tesco can sell alcohol during the following hours:

11.00 am.-2.00 pm. and 5.00 pm.- Midnight

I can understand the Midnight to 11am restriction but does anybody know why there's a 3 hour restriction between 2pm and 5pm?

We used to have similar licensing law restrictions here in the UK until recently: 11am-2pm, then 5 or 6pm until 11pm. They were removed in favour of 24 hour drinking around 2005.

Perhaps Thailand copied them from us at some point.

The 3 hour break is to prevent workers getting drunk in the afternoon and schoolchildren obtaining liquor after school.

However, you CAN buy wholesale which I believe is 5 litres. That applies to wines, spirits and (I think) beer. So if you REALLY want a drink, you can buy 5 litres in the afternoon without issue.

I was thinking about the workers too but why only between 2 and 5. Surely if a worker was going to get tanked up they would do it over lunch.

Or is it so they can get tanked up at lunch BUT are forced to quit until 5? LOL

Yeah, I know about the wholesale thing. That makes sense. But I was just looking at the sign in 7-11 and was thinking, "That seems rather random"

I mean, what would be the expected outcome of being able to purchase beer from 11am - Midnight? Would more people drink? I don't think that would be a likely outcome.

Even if it's crazy, I would just love to hear what they were thinking when they said "Oh, and cut 'em off between 2 and 5."

I don't know, but fresh mart sell alcohol 24hrs.......Been a saviour a good few times.

Isn't that right Stevie? :lol:

Many sell 24 hours. Some Family Marts. Depends on the staff. The mini-mart in my old building sold all night. But now I'm next door to a 7-11 and if you walk in at 12:00:01 the registers won't allow them to scan the sale. :-(