What has happened to Lower Sukhumvit

mespike

Question

Seems the Sukhumvit Road area from Asok to Nana has deteriorated to point of disgust and intolerable environment.

Alot of us were complaining about it 3 years ago but it got worse instead of better. The vendors have totally clogged the sidewalks in places you can barely get though. There are bottlenecks everywhere. I wish stupid tourists would stop buying that crap and 50% of the vendors would go away. There are dregs everywhere in that area now its seems as if has become a forbidden zone for non dregs. 10 years ago Nana was a red light zone yes but there were alot more nice girls hanging around and a hell of a lot less ladyboys. Now there are so many ladyboys there you could form an army not to mention 3rd world degenerates. Africans have the highest incidence of Aids on the planet and Indians have the highest new infection rate. Do you want to be screwing the same girls they are? Therme used to be a place where western men could chill out and meet a fun girl. Now they might as well put a Japs Only sign on it. Beer garden on Soi 7 should change its name to the Used up Veterans and Granny Shack. I think there is a lot of nice girls in Bangkok and very few of them want to go to Lower Sukhumvit. Its become a ****hole and i wish someone would restore it to its previous luster.

Edited by mespike

Guest MarkCJ

Dunno "Bob" .. you could be a good contender for the village idiot award of the year yourself. You have been wrong on all counts so far. 555

Show me where I said Lower Suk did NOT have "normal" people (as CiaranM implied) or even where I said it had a lot of freaks as CiaranM actually said himself .. and I'll concede to your superior intellect. :)

As far as I know .. I just had a bit of an early morning knee jerk reaction .. already apologised for (hey! .. there's some ammo for you "Bob" .. go for it mate .. 555) to the OP's tired old blurb about the whoring scene and how he doesn't like screwing girls for rent who have previously been bonked by Africans ... Yawn again.

Does anyone around here actually READ posts? .. Nah .. too hard.

So go on "Bob" .. try again .. you can do it mate.

Edited by MarkCJ

OK...

Well, you clicked onto a 'Lower Sukhumvit' forum that was discussing prostitution and then began whinging about the topic under discussion.

What I fail to understand is what you hoped to do. Anyone with a modicum of common sense would have understood that one of the major features of 'Lower Sukhumvit' is the prostitution scene. So, you had the choice to ignore the thread or skim it and move on. But instead you decided to make a point about how tedious it all is.

If you are not satisfied with the content of the forums (I know it's fora but let's not be pedantic), after making a total of 10 posts, you should start your own, riveting thread.

What you could have done is point out that lower Sukhumvit has several premier nightclubs in Bangkok, several top-class restaurants. It has dozens of 5 star hotels. It has shopping malls and three parks. You might have commented that it is the most integrated of all Bangkok areas, with large populations of many nationalities. But... Nah... too hard.

Guest MarkCJ
OK...

But instead you decided to make a point about how tedious it all is.

Yes .. you are quite right "Bob". I don't know what I was thinking. Imagine .. "expressing an opinion" on an open forum. The absolute cheek! Totally unforgivable.

From now on .. I'll keep my opinions to myself and agree with everything you say .. OK "Bob" ?

*Sigh*

(Why do I keep getting visions of Rowan Atkinson every time I type "Bob" )

Guest MarkCJ
OK...

Well, you clicked onto a 'Lower Sukhumvit' forum

Actually it is the "General Discussion" Forum "Bob" Keep trying .. you'll make sense soon .. I had no idea of the content of the OP until I clicked on it. I thought it might be something interesting. "What has happened to it?" Hmmm... but alas .. it was not to be. Just the same old same old .. Zzzzzzzzzzz

OKI know it's fora but let's not be pedantic

That's OK "Bob" .. I don't speak Latin .. the English plural "Forums" will do fine.

lower Sukhumvit has several premier nightclubs in Bangkok, several top-class restaurants. It has dozens of 5 star hotels. It has shopping malls and three parks.

Wow! .. Sounds just like Sydney .. Why did I ever leave? Oh yeah .. to experience something different. You can have your Farang ghetto "Bob" if you are happy with it. Have fun! :)

Edited by MarkCJ

Dunno "Bob" .. you could be a good contender for the village idiot award of the year yourself. You have been wrong on all counts so far. 555

Show me where I said Lower Suk did NOT have "normal" people (as CiaranM implied) or even where I said it had a lot of freaks as CiaranM actually said himself .. and I'll concede to your superior intellect. :)

As far as I know .. I just had a bit of an early morning knee jerk reaction .. already apologised for (hey! .. there's some ammo for you "Bob" .. go for it mate .. 555) to the OP's tired old blurb about the whoring scene and how he doesn't like screwing girls for rent who have previously been bonked by Africans ... Yawn again.

Does anyone around here actually READ posts? .. Nah .. too hard.

So go on "Bob" .. try again .. you can do it mate.

Don't mind Ciaran. He swears at the shower for making him wet.

Bob just doesn't like people urinating where he has already urinated.

Actually it is the "General Discussion" Forum "Bob" Keep trying .. you'll make sense soon .. I had no idea of the content of the OP until I clicked on it. I thought it might be something interesting. "What has happened to it?" Hmmm... but alas .. it was not to be. Just the same old same old .. Zzzzzzzzzzz

That's OK "Bob" .. I don't speak Latin .. the English plural "Forums" will do fine.

Wow! .. Sounds just like Sydney .. Why did I ever leave? Oh yeah .. to experience something different. You can have your Farang ghetto "Bob" if you are happy with it. Have fun! :)

You had no idea what the Forum content would be? Despite the title?

You looked in an ants' nest and then cried when you saw ants.

And lower Sukhumvit IS different. That's the whole point of the thread. It's full of Arabs, Africans, Farangs, Indians and Thais living, working, scamming, loving, stealing in a microcosm. It's got good and bad - but you came on to sneer. You could have moved on as soon as you realised the topic wasn't for you (I guess about half a sentence into the OP would have been sufficient).

But instead you stayed. And you played the 'real Thailand' card. Rather than be original and start an interesting forum thread, you thought it would be simpler to decry this one as boring. Well, if there's one thing more boring than a 'hooker forum', it's a 'preachy' farang telling a community what they should discuss.

If you don't like it, don't watch.

Here's an ellipsis...

Edited by English_Bob
Should have quoted me, Iain...

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against a bit of whore chasing .. again .. each to their own. I'm just tired of reading about it on forums.

So you would rather experience it? Or maybe you would rather read about it in novels by Christopher Moore or Stephan Leather? It's hard to follow what you mean that you're tired of reading about it in forums.

Yes .. OK. Maybe I had a bit of a kneejerk reaction when I made that post .. so lets get back to complaining about lower Suk in general.

I don't agree with the posters whining about Africans and Arabs. they have as much right to be there as anyone. If I was walking along lower Suk and passed by an African or Arab .. I'd think nothing of it. Does it inconvenience me in any way? No.

I don't know if that's an entirely valid point of view. Most farangs who live here either:

a) Own a business which ultimately benefits the Thai economy

B) Are retired and are spending money from overseas in the Thai economy

c) Legitimately employed in Thailand which benefits the Thai economy

d) Illegally employed in Thailand which still benefits the Thai economy

e) Make their money online or outside of Thailand and spend it in the Thai economy

Of course there are those scamming and hustling to get by or living off of a Thai girlfriend or something but for the most part, 80% - 90% of the farangs I've met fall into one of the above categories.

On the other hand, there are very few African owned business in Thailand. Nor do I see many businesses employing Africans. And based on the average age I highly doubt most of them are retired living off an income derived overseas.

That means that the vast majority of Africans living in Thailand are making their way here scamming or by being involved in illegal trades such as drug dealing or prostitution. The cocaine market almost completely belongs to the Africans. Even Thais go to the Africans to buy coke. And I think everyone has been approached at least once by a pair of Africans trying to strike up a conversation wich one knows will ultimately end up leading to them trying to run a scam on you.

So, no, I don't think they have the same right to be here.

As for the sidewalks being littered with vendors .. hey! The place is a tourist ghetto. It's all part of the scene. TIT. If people want the place to be clinically clean and ordered like a 1st World city then they are out of luck. A lot of poor Thais have to make a living. No social welfare here.

You're absolutely right, there is no social welface here. However, you also have to consider what is in the interest of the greater good. If the street vendors clog up the streets so much that people start having a bad impression of Thailand and visit here less frequently then who exactly is that benefitting?

The social welfare argument is really pretty weak. So if a muay Thai kickboxer wants to go down to Sukhumvit and charge people 100 baht and he'll go and punch anybody you point out, that should be accepted as well? Hey man, the guy has to make a living. There's no social welfare system so anything goes.

It's not that there are vendors on the street. It's that there are too many. The cops have gotten too greedy and have sold every square inch of Sukhumvit to the point that nobody can even walk. Hell, nowadays they're overflowing from the sidewalk and in many areas of lower Suk they take up the first lane of traffic on the street as well.

If there is one thing more boring than whore discussions ,, it's spoiled Farangs moaning about Thailand and/or parts of it not coming up to their standards. Somehow the poverty of the place is just "a nuisance". Pretty self centered and insensitive if you ask me.

I prefer to have the "Mai Pen Rai", "She'll be right", "No worries" attitude. Much kinder to my blood pressure. :)

Yes, we're all whoremongers and are insensitive to the poor. Blah, blah, blah. yaaaaawn.

The point here is that poverty or no poverty the thing many Thais never seem to grasp is that there's a limit. I think they need to teach the lesson of what happens when you kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Like you've mentioned, it's a tourist area and tourists can and do decide where the tourist areas are. So maybe they start staying in different hotels away from lower Suk. Maybe they start staying on Soi 20, 22, or 24. Maybe they move away from Sukhumvit altogether. By not self-policing themselves they will drive the tourists and the business away. It wasn't that many years ago when the Silom area was the place to be if you were a tourist. Lots of hotels, shopping, close (enough) to the river, Patpong, etc, etc. But everybody was so busy stampeding to take some money off of the farangs that they failed to notice that they were driving them away.

So would it be better to allow people a complete free-for-all grab at the farang tourist cash or would they be better off regulating it or self-policing themselves so as to protect the cash cow?

Imagine .. "expressing an opinion" on an open forum. The absolute cheek! Totally unforgivable.

From now on .. I'll keep my opinions to myself and agree with everything you say .. OK "Bob" ?

You see what you did? You took Spike expressing an opinion and rather than add to the discussion, you dismissed the forum as boring - which is clearly a subjective viewpoint and not one shared by many it appears. Having contributed to the forums a scant 10 times, you decided that you should comment on the topic's interest level and not on the topic itself.

And when someone called you on it, you resorted to slippery evasive techniques pretending that you didn't know what the topic was about despite the title being "What has happened to Lower Sukhumvit" and the tag line being "Seems the Sukhumvit Road area from Asok to Nana has deteriorated to point of disgust and intolerable environment. Alot of us were complaining about..."

Somehow you imagined that this discussion wouldn't encompass prostitution. And yet, once you read the first paragraph, you chose not to comment on Sukhumvit, but on Spike's choice of topic. Imagine... "picking a topic interesting to himself and starting a thread about it" etc etc

(Why do I keep getting visions of Rowan Atkinson every time I type "Bob" )

I don't know... because you are unoriginal and dated?

Depends on where you consider 'Lower Sukhumvit' to be. I was driving through Rayong last week and realised I was on Sukhumvit. I also realised my Dad lives on Sukhumvit in Bang Saray and I live on it in Bangkok...

I'm guessing most people would consider it to be from Asoke to Soi 2.

While there are some horribly scummy areas to be avoided, I love living in Lower Sukhumvit.

I like being able to chose between different cuisines. Within those few blocks, I can eat French, Spanish, Italian, Mexican, Indian, American, Arab, Turkish, Greek, Thai and English food.

I like having a choice of drinking holes - I can get late night football at The Pickled Liver, quality cocktails at Nest, championship pool tables at Times' Square, pub grub at Black Swan and of course all the Nana bars. I watched Kelis performing at Bed last week. The month before they had a Khon Dance show during dinner. I went to a pool party at Dream Hotel with FHM girls. I saw Stanton Warriors a couple of months ago.

I enjoy meeting interesting people... within the last 2 months I met a private corporate detective, Jake Needham and Stickman, Bangkok's chief of police, a government minster, Joe Cummings (original writer of Lonely Planet, Thailand), the head of anti-corruption department, a Peua Thai MP, and on Friday night I had dinner with Thaksin's niece (I had to bite my tongue on the last two!).

As far as something different is concerned, in the last 12 months I dated a rock star's daughter, a former Miss Thailand, a government minister and minor princess... Oh and I had to ride my motorbike through a burning tyre barricade and help my staff escape when there was live firing at the bottom of Soi 11.

All of this happened in lower Sukhumvit - not the sort of stuff you find in Chantaburi.

Guest MarkCJ

Seems my subscription to this thread was canceled by some "magical" means. Much easier to attack someone while their back is turned. I won't bother turning it back on. ..... Zzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by MarkCJ

Seems my subscription to this thread was canceled by some "magical" means. Much easier to attack someone while their back is turned. I won't bother turning it back on. ..... Zzzzzzzzzzz

OK; now you're annoying me. It was bad enough when you were posting ellipses that were too short. But now they are too bloody long! And you never, repeat never, have a full stop, then a space, then an ellipsis!

: )

Oh that's right. It was 'magical means'.

I don't have a subscription to a thread, nor do I have the correct spell to cancel someone else's subscription. I simply go back to the thread and see what's occurring.

Oh that's right. It was 'magical means'.

I don't have a subscription to a thread, nor do I have the correct spell to cancel someone else's subscription. I simply go back to the thread and see what's occurring.

You obviously have not seen the new DVD 'Harry Potter and the Thai Bar Girl'