What to do in Bangkok?

Chillz

Question

Hi all,

Since most of you know by now, i've been in bangkok twice, and going back around June..

The thing is, both times i was ****ing bored during the day/night (mostly day). Since i am a foreigner, the only thing i know that i can do is shop and go out.. After 3 days, thats kinda boring (except the going out part, haha)..

So do you guys have any tips on what i can do? Im an entrpreneur in holland, and i only work when i want to, haha.. so i need to do things.. :)

6 answers to this question

It's funny I was just having this conversation with someone yesterday. For a city of 15 million people Bangkok seems rather limited in the number of things going on. More to the point, even when there are things going on they typically get reported after the fact. You see magazines like BK Magazine and Guru listing upcoming events and it's like 3 pages for the entire week. In Los Angeles, London, Paris, Frankfurt they would have an entire magazine (and they do, Time Out) with art openings, concerts, museum exhibits, etc. Either someone isn't reporting on all of this stuff or Bangkok's entire cultural scene is DJ Freshy McFresh playing at QBar and some Japanese guy's photo exhibit at Siam Discovery.

That being said, I think some of the best fun you can have is grab a camera and just get lost out in the outskirts of Bangkok. Bangkok is fairly safe so you're not likely to end up in too much trouble if you have any sort of street smarts and stay somewhere close to a BTS or MRT station. Just wander around and get some great photos.

Another option is to take some day trips outside of Bangkok. We took a group of people from TF up to Ayutthia a few months back. That was fun. There are a lot of little trips you can make that either put you back in Bangkok at the end of the day or you can spend the night and come back the next day.

See English_Bob's blog post on Extreme Dating. You can skydive, dive with sharks (in Bangkok), go paint balling, etc. There's plenty to do if you allow yourself to think outside the box. We've done gocarting TF events, bowling, etc, etc.

And if you don't want to go alone post something as an event here on TF. Chances are at least a few people might be up for it.

At night it really depends on what you're up for. Hanging out with the faux-so crowd at Bed or QBar, dancing up at Thong Lor, shooting pool, partying until 5am, etc, etc. At night there's almost endless choices on what you can do. :-)

Thanks for your great posts! Love the photography idea, i might do that!

The thing is, all the things you say you can do, its not something you do daily, haha.. Im a young entrepreneur who just want to have fun.. I have several friends in Bangkok, but they all have school during the week etc, so i cant hang out with them everyday.. I have been to pattaya once, but that wasnt really it for me, a little too much haha..

I love to party, meet people etc, so the night life will be covered :D

So i guess i have to stay home/at the hotel, and just do my work like i do in Amsterdam.. :)

Why not? You can go on down to Siam Paragon and go diving with sharks. You don't need friends to go do that. I've taken just me and my girlfriend down to RCA during the week to go gocarting. Realistically, you're only limited by your imagination.

Have fun, man :-)