Mac Data Recovery? (hard drive failure)

zeusbheld

i recently had my Mac hard drive fail(120 GB 2.5" drive from a 3 1/2 year old Macbook Pro, and i am 100 percent certain it's hardware). in a Darwin-award-worthy act of stupidity, i accidentally erased my complete bootable backup last month. so basically all is lost.

has anyone tried a data recovery service on a Mac drive? any luck? how much did it cost? any recommendations? i need a hard-core data recovery service, the kind where they take the drive apart in a clean room.

if no one on here has any recommendations i'll probably call one of the places that Google introduced me to.

first guy i tried does data recovery for some Thai magazine publishers, but he didn't open the drives up and so probably just tried to run the same software i did (Disk Warrior, Stellar Phoenix) to attempt recovery. looking for a hard drive surgeon, i can run the futilities myself.

ps seeing as the problem is a physical one with the hard drive, the usual PC-vs.-Mac bullshit is completely irrelevant here, my Compaq has the same Hitachi drive (just newer and more spacious), platform's only relevant in the surgeon needs the right software to read the disk format.

I lost a disk last year with all my 10 years of digital photos. The disk was an external drive, and was making a clicking sound when it spun-up, and nothing on the disk was accessable. but it was spinning....

I tried countless recovery programs, almost paid for them too, and then I found a tiny utility which was able to access the disk by bypassing the operating system. It was a windows machine, but I think if you remove the drive from your mac and plug it into the motherboard in a windows box (with a SATA cable), it may work, if indeed the disk can spin.

The program is called ADRC Data Recovery Tools 1.1

http://www.adrc.com/software/data_recovery_tools/

it recovered all my pics from the disk, which no other free program was able to do.....chok dee!

this disk won't spin. so free or otherwise, the program won't do it, and i've tried some pretty spiffy recovery software (Disk Warrior and Stellar Phoenix for Mac). thanks though your post will probably help someone else with a similar problem.

i've contacted a few places and have found a place that sounds like they know what they're doing but they ain't cheap. 5,000 baht just to assess the problem and see what they can do. not sure how much the extraction will cost but if it's a lot more than that i may not bother (or i may go off the reservation and crack open the hard drive myself, that ought to be an interesting disaster).

• 1 year later...

Mmmm may be this si your Hard drive's jumper problem becasue this type problems are occured when the hard drive is not connect properly so i think you should make sure this first and then try it again and what data recovery software are you using i suggest you a software you should use Recover my files softwsre for your data recovery.........

[TABLE=width: 574]

[TR]

[TD=width: 574][TABLE=width: 574]

[TR]

[TD=width: 574]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Paxton23