Shallow Thailand?

Guest MarkCJ

Guest MarkCJ

Maybe some of you have seen the movie "Shallow Hal" A guy who judged women purely on their appearance .. rather than their heart/personality/whatever. I'm proposing (in my opinion!) that Thailand is the same.

Sure .. it's a common thing everywhere .. but it seems much more prevalent here.

"Thailand is like a big brightly wrapped gift box.. but when you open it .. it's empty. True? Bullshit?

Many things are done "for show".Here are some examples ..

1. Mothers putting talcum powder on their kids faces to "show" everyone they are good mothers taking care of their kids. Talcum powder on your face has no benefit at all. All for show

2. School directors spending two million Baht on landscaping when the P.E equipment consists of 6 basketballs and 10 deflated soccer balls, Has an English Program .. but no English books in the library and half of the computers in the computer room non functional. All for show

3. The old "Sin Sot" Flashing heaps of paper money around for show .. which is given back at the end of the wedding. All for show

4.Police doing "Crack downs" on this ,that and another while ignoring basic common sense law enforcement. All for show

5.Big flashy corner billboards of the King on street corners. Go around the back of them and you discover putrid garbage and empty Lao Kow bottles. All for show.

6. Loy Kratong. Spending huge amounts of money on plastic wrapped hunks of styrofoam and launching them into waterways to show "respect" for the "River Goddess". Don't worry about the pollution issue .. it's just for show.

7.Thai guys driving around in a BMW .. up to his neck in debt paying the thing off every month .. while living in a 4 meter square room with ten of his mates ... Just for show.

8. Mold infested buildings with putrid garbage on balcony's hidden by beautiful plastic hoardings. Just for show.

9. Old Issan geezers with 25 kilos of assorted Amulets hanging around their neck. Never had a bit of luck in their entire life. Just for show.

... and the list goes on. The above examples are a bit "tongue in cheek" .. but you get the drift.

I know we have it to some degree in ALL countries .. but it just seems so much more noticeable here.

I find myself guilty of it sometimes too. ("When in Rome" etc)

It doesn't bother me .. it's not my country. Thais can behave however they like. I'm just trying to take an objective look at one aspect Thai psychology. Hell! .. Sometimes you can use it to your advantage.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MarkCJ
Why do you live in Thailand then?
It doesn't bother me .. it's not my country. Thais can behave however they like. I'm just trying to take an objective look at one aspect Thai psychology. Hell! .. Sometimes you can use it to your advantage.

You must have missed that bit. Never mind. :)

I love it here.

Guest MarkCJ
I use it to my advantage when I can (well-dressed farangs can get access to so many places/events simply because they look the part).

Exactly. Another example was when I was selling a Yamaha Mio a couple of years ago. The engine was **** (OK when it was warmed up) .. but body wise it looked like it just rolled out of the showroom. It was 3 years old. Got ฿20,000. Should have been around 10,000.

Feel like you slap Thai ppl on faces and rub thier back later...

Well, we are not perfect... other ppl are not perfect as well, I will not as why you are here if you see many things in negative ways (at least it's the way i feel)

I admit, there are many things I don't like in this country... but for me it's good enough to live with joy and happiness.

and I think many farang who have live here think the same.

I will not say cuz they have no choice.... cuz ppl have thier own choice.

hrrrrrrrr... not many Thai ppl are around TF as much as before... or they just don't wanna give a **** on this kind of topic?

Edited by Chatty

Guest MarkCJ
not many Thai ppl are around TF as much as before... or they just don't wanna give a **** on this kind of topic?
The above examples are a bit "tongue in cheek"

I didn't really expect Thai people to see the funny side. Possibly you don't understand "Tongue in cheek" It means "joking in a cheeky way." It is not meant to offend. If you are .. sorry.

I didn't really expect Thai people to see the funny side. Possibly you don't understand "Tongue in cheek" It means "joking in a cheeky way." It is not meant to offend. If you are .. sorry.

I'm sure you know that Thais don't criticism very well, joking or serious. I can say that America is full of ignorant retards who don't have a clue about the rest of the world, but if I say the same thing about Thailand, I could start WWIII.

Living in Thailand you should know, we have difference sense of humor. Fun for you but not for us.. fun for us, for you it's offensive.

Not many Thai ppl will tell you at the face what you should say or shouldn't... they might let you do it, talk behind your back. I have heard so many times.

Guest MarkCJ
.... if I say the same thing about Thailand, I could start WWIII.

Maybe they (Thais on this forum) could use threads like this to learn about Western humour. There's more varieties of humour than slapstick. Not all Thai comdians are completely slapstick though. I like Yam Yasothorn .. he's a funny guy.

เหอ เหอ Do it all over again sis

NO ! i lost interest leaw :(

Anyway, if someone told me that Oh you drive to work ? That is for show right ? Actually you just live in small aparment with 5 of your friends, right ? I would just kick his mouth that's it.

Guest MarkCJ
Living in Thailand you should know, we have difference sense of humor. Fun for you but not for us.. fun for us, for you it's offensive.

Not many Thai ppl will tell you at the face what you should say or shouldn't... they might let you do it, talk behind your back. I have heard so many times.

.. but I like Thai humour! I laugh when someone falls into a big hole in the footpath along with everyone else!

Guest MarkCJ
NO ! i lost interest leaw :(

Anyway, if someone told me that Oh you drive to work ? That is for show right ? Actually you just live in small aparment with 5 of your friends, right ? I would just kick his mouth that's it.

Maybe it's a good idea to close the thread again.

.. but I like Thai humour! I laugh when someone falls into a big hole in the footpath along with everyone else!

That means you are shallow then, Thai humor isn't all like that...That call Cafe' Joke. We have decent joke, we love to play with words. I'm sure it's hard for you to understand. Many people in Thailand are educated, so... those kind of jokes not make us laugh out loud.

Guest MarkCJ
That means you are shallow then
I find myself guilty of it sometimes too.
Thai humor isn't all like that...That call Cafe' Joke. We have decent joke, we love to play with words. I'm sure it's hard for you to understand

That's why I like Yam Yasothorn too.

Guest MarkCJ
Why? can't we give some opinion? Can't we speak our mind?

Sure! Of course you can! .. but it was closed before because of this ..

rrrrrrrr... not many Thai ppl are around TF as much as before... or they just don't wanna give a **** on this kind of topic?

Then a second Thai took offense .. so I suggested closing it again.

Please continue .. Got any funny examples of things being done for show? Or you can go the opposite way and say it's a load of crap .. "Up to you" :)

Edited by MarkCJ

I liked the rich tourist kid (about 16 I'd guess), and his parents, that were insistant, with him just whining away, that the long tail boat driver on the river by the Thaksin BTS station take them on a tour of where they filmed the river scenes in the James Bond "Man With the Golden Gun" movie. They just couldn't accept that the boat driver was telling them the truth that it wasn't in Bangkok, and to get there would be bt3000, plus the cost of hauling his boat in the truck.....lololol.

I couldn't stop laughing from the shallowness of those people thinking just because it was a river in Bangkok, it must have been where the scenes were filmed. Then the kid was again insistant that it had to be down the klong on the other side that was blocked off with the gates.....lololol. The parents were just as shallow thinking their son was right.

The driver finally got in his boat, and moved down about 20m away from them.

Well, sometime people choose to see what they want to see.

6. Loy Kratong. Spending huge amounts of money on plastic wrapped hunks of styrofoam and launching them into waterways to show "respect" for the "River Goddess". Don't worry about the pollution issue .. it's just for show.

1) X'Mas for you people.. Let's spend **** load of money and cherish the materialism idea.

Btw, it was actually banana trees in the old days, we used.

Things changed when time passed by.

Ps. tongue in cheek? I would prefer tougue in my a**hole.