Can a Male Sometimes Say "Ka"????

Hazel

Hi all, as far as I know (and I must admit I know very little Thai), a Thai man should always be saying "krup" at the end of a conversation, and not "ka", which is only reserved for female speakers. But recently, I was on IM with a male Thai friend (we were typing in English) and I purposely added in "ka" at the end of some of my sentences. Then, he replied me with a "ka" at the end of his sentence.

So, I asked him why he was typng "ka" and not "krup", to which he replied that men can say "ka" too, but to their gfs (anyway, I'm not his gf and he is not my bf). I told him I did not believe it, that Thai people will laugh at me but he insisted it is true?

Can Thai people tell me if he was just making fun of me by saying men can sometimes use "ka"??? Thanks...

he's obviously gay !!!! ;-)

Come to think of it, on another occasion when we were on IM, he started asking me why I am single, so surely I asked him why he is too, then he typed, "I used to have a BF"... Then, he quickly corrected himself and said it was an honest mistake and that he meant it was gf. At that time, I thought it was just a typo, and teased him about it. Hmmm, a Freudian slip of the tongue, maybe? :P

Well, I would not wish anyone to be a gay or lesbian in these challenging times of relative homophobia, but if I am to be selfish, I will find a closet gay a cuter personality than a flirty straight, already attached Thai guy!

Sometime guys say "Ka" instead of "Krup" to show that..

he is such a sweet guy and want to take care of you for the rest of his life!!! hahaha

Like.. being sweeter, softer and nicer to you..

Or it could be like big brother talks to his little sister.. things like that.

Not always means that they are gay..

Sometime guys say "Ka" instead of "Krup" to show that..

he is such a sweet guy and want to take care of you for the rest of his life!!! hahaha

Like.. being sweeter, softer and nicer to you..

Or it could be like big brother talks to his little sister.. things like that.

Not always means that they are gay..

Thanks for the comments, swts :) Lol, so he's probably not gay then, and most likely his "I used to have a bf" was really an honest typo mistake as he said!

Well, it would be younger brother talking to his older sister (cos he did not want to tell me his age until I go out with him - he was only willing to tell me he is from 1 to 3 years younger than me) in my case!

Anyway, I guess it is emotionally easier for me to think of this cute Thai younger guy as a prospective gay than a possible elusive Thai love cheater ! I had just mostly recovered from days of nursing my hurt feelings and somewhat broken heart - he would not add me to his FB even though we had argued for over an hour about it. Prior to the FB argument, he had said he wanted to get to know me better cos he wanted me to be his gf, but no matter how hard I tried to convince him that having an existing account but not adding me to it (his privacy setting is set so high that I cannot even view his profile or even send a FB invi) is causing me to feel insecure that he may be already married or having a gf, he refused to add me. At first, he said he does not have an account, then when I told him I tried to add him but could not due to his privacy setting, he said, "oh really?" then said he lost his password, did not see the point in retrieving it, not interested in it anymore blah blah blah. Anyhow, that's another story apart from the main topic, and I am mostly over him now, though his sudden phone call to me today (we had not kept in touch for almost a week since the FB thingy) kinda triggered off my old feelings :( *sobz*

Edited by Hazel

Guest MarkCJ

The two gay Thai teachers at my school always say "ka". They are actually middle aged ladyboys .. but have to wear trousers at work. I've gotta say .. they are the roughest looking ladyboys I've ever seen!

I had just mostly recovered from days of nursing my hurt feelings and somewhat broken heart

I am mostly over him now, though his sudden phone call to me today (we had not kept in touch for almost a week since the FB thingy) kinda triggered off my old feelings :( *sobz*

Lol, none of the TFers empathizes with my feelings...!

(PS: What ever happened to all the blushing faces and rolling the eyes icon??) :P

Lol, none of the TFers empathizes with my feelings...!

(PS: What ever happened to all the blushing faces and rolling the eyes icon??) :P

i told u already he's gay .... and obviously his BF is also on FB that's why he won't add U !!!

honestly some ppl !!!!! ... and agreed .... where's the rolling eyes icon !!

not sure if it's ok to generalize here, but the time when I had been working at an office in BKK I've learned to now some really odd and lovely male #tigerblood *******. Situational they called themself gay or straight - dependent on the respective target subject ;-) Anyway the lines between different sexual orientations sometimes seem to be pretty blurred in Thailand.

In your case it seems to be a clear cut case that something's too strange with your friend. But as long as no one falls in love and gets hurt, there's nothing wrong with mending a broken heart in teamwork with a half or full dozen of lovely ******* :twisted:

;-) Anyway the lines between different sexual orientations sometimes seem to be pretty blurred in Thailand.

In your case it seems to be a clear cut case that something's too strange with your friend. But as long as no one falls in love and gets hurt, there's nothing wrong with mending a broken heart in teamwork with a half or full dozen of lovely ******* :twisted:

:) Haha, your words really make me laugh (gosh, the cure that laughter can bring to hurts!)

But you really put things so nicely into perspective. And one thing, I do feel (but I must say I know very, very few Thais, so it's mainly by observation!) that Thai guys (those who claim to be straight) are either totally 'man' (deep voice, tough boy image etc) or else they seem to have a vague femininism about them!

Or trisexual ...as there's a third gender here in Thailand :-)

:) Hee... I had thought trisexual means those who go for animals? Likely the term has come to be known as quarter-sexual when it comes to Thailand, to make the 3rd position for Thailand's famed 3rd gender, who are attractive enough to put real ladies to shame! :P

:) Hee... I had thought trisexual means those who go for animals? Likely the term has come to be known as quarter-sexual when it comes to Thailand, to make the 3rd position for Thailand's famed 3rd gender, who are attractive enough to put real ladies to shame! :P

uh, now it's getting kinda weird here. I've heared that gays or katoeys sometimes call women "chanee" (= animal). Hope that's what you actually meant .. "haa" ;-)