"I don't respect 'farangs'"

admin

Thailand rejects foreign election monitors

(AFP) 1 day ago

BANGKOK Thailand on Thursday dismissed suggestions that foreign observers were needed to monitor its upcoming election, with the deputy prime minister saying he does "not respect" Westerners.

It would be "inappropriate" to allow outside involvement in the poll, which is due in June or July and comes after deadly street protests last year, said Suthep Thaugsuban.

"I don't respect 'farangs'. We do not have to surrender to them," he said, using the Thai word for "Westerners".

Anti-government "Red Shirts" have recently called for international observers to be present.

"I am surprised that Red Shirts do not respect our country's sovereignty... I don't understand why they constantly call for foreign involvement, it is inappropriate," Suthep told reporters.

Thailand has never officially allowed monitors to operate in polling stations during its elections, but the Asian Network for Free Elections (ANFREL) has been allowed to work in the country during the last two votes.

"It is true they do not allow the monitors to enter (polling stations) but we observe from outside, it's quite easy," said executive director Somsri Hananuntasuk.

She said she was "surprised" at Suthep's comments, adding that other members of the ruling Democrat party, including Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva "welcomes international observers".

Thailand is struggling to recover from mass Bangkok rallies by the Reds, in which more than 90 people died in clashes between troops and protesters in April and May last year. It was the worst political violence in decades.

The kingdom has suffered years of political instability, punctuated by unrest and military intervention, seeing 18 actual or attempted coups since 1932 when the country became a constitutional monarchy.

Commentators believe the upcoming poll is likely to highlight the country's divisions.

The elected prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a hero to many in the Red Shirt movement, was ousted in a coup in 2006, sparking ongoing political turmoil.

Abhisit's government is seen as undemocratic by the Reds as it came to power in an army-backed 2008 parliamentary vote after a court ruling threw out the previous administration, made up of Thaksin allies who had won an election.

Thailand, known as the "Land of Smiles", is usually regarded as friendly to foreigners.

According to Abhisit the kingdom received 15.8 million overseas tourists last year and the sector generated 585 billion baht ($19 billion), or 7 percent of economic output.

via AFP

its not respect or not, its about is it neccessary to be observed by foreigne election observers, observe of what ? alcohol selling / consume on election day ?

Observe that the elections are being held according to internationally accepted standards for fair elections.

The two Thais are missing Bill's main point here so far. The main point is not about farangs overseeing these elections. It's Suthep's poor choice of words saying that he doesn't respect farangs. That's it, plain and simple.

The only thing up for debate here is whether or not he actually feels that way, or if his words were taken out of context/he screwed up.

I think you'd react the same way if a high level official in farangland said, "I don't respect Thais." It's just arrogant and stupid.

Observe that the elections are being held according to internationally accepted standards for fair elections.

I don't think Thais would ever let this happen out of fear of losing face. I'd say that well over 90% of Thais would agree that Thai elections are not fair and that they can easily be bought. If an official committee came in and announced it to the world (even though everyone knows it already), it would make Thailand *officially* look bad in this respect.

On top of that, too many powerful people would be at risk to lose some of their power. It ain't gonna happen. Even if it does, it won't happen in a way that the foreign monitors want it to be.

I just really want to hear Suthep's exact words to see if he really meant that he doesn't respect farangs in general, or if he doesn't respect the idea of farangs coming in to play the parent over the naughty children.

You don't respect farangs?

yah but only for some circumstances or some contexts. As this situation, i agree not to allow them to be the observer for thai's election 'cause it not fair to let somebody,may be a dump farang or homeless farang or just a tourist who u are not sure that they understand Thai's things ( way of thinking, standard ,cultural etc) to observe and my give their opinion toward what they have observed which is based from their FARANG BIAS not the fact. However,if there are some process to select the observer such as only farang who study about Thai's things and stay in thailand more than 10 year and well educated, may be i'll repect for that qualify farang opinion.

Actually, i have heard and read some article about thai written by farang who understand thai's way and live here more than about 10 year, after i read , i respect his point of view cause he wrote both weakness and strenge of the contry but in creative manner. I think u may know his name cause he was quite famouse writter. Unfortunately, i can't remember his name and he was death.

yah but only for some circumstances or some contexts. As this situation, i agree not to allow them to be the observer for thai's election 'cause it not fair to let somebody,may be a dump farang or homeless farang or just a tourist who u are not sure that they understand Thai's things ( way of thinking, standard ,cultural etc) to observe and my give their opinion toward what they have observed which is based from their FARANG BIAS not the fact. However,if there are some process to select the observer such as only farang who study about Thai's things and stay in thailand more than 10 year and well educated, may be i'll repect for that qualify farang opinion.

Actually, i have heard and read some article about thai written by farang who understand thai's way and live here more than about 10 year, after i read , i respect his point of view cause he wrote both weakness and strenge of the contry but in creative manner. I think u may know his name cause he was quite famouse writter. Unfortunately, i can't remember his name and he was death.

One does not need to understand Thai culture to count votes and make sure votes are not being bought.

I don't think Thais would ever let this happen out of fear of losing face. I'd say that well over 90% of Thais would agree that Thai elections are not fair and that they can easily be bought. If an official committee came in and announced it to the world (even though everyone knows it already), it would make Thailand *officially* look bad in this respect.

On top of that, too many powerful people would be at risk to lose some of their power. It ain't gonna happen. Even if it does, it won't happen in a way that the foreign monitors want it to be.

I just really want to hear Suthep's exact words to see if he really meant that he doesn't respect farangs in general, or if he doesn't respect the idea of farangs coming in to play the parent over the naughty children.

Are u sure that all farang is mature and qulified enough to play that role???????????? I DON'T THINK SO

I think you'd react the same way if a high level official in farangland said, "I don't respect Thais." It's just arrogant and stupid.

Wouldn't he need to say, "I don't respect Asians." to be a fair comparison?

But this is hardly news... The evidence that farangs aren't respected is fairly overwhelming. Thaksin once said after the tsunami, "We don't need farang money. We don't need farangs walking through Phuket saying 'We built this building or we built that building.'"

(He still kept the money though.)

Suthep is gaffe-prone.

One does not need to understand Thai culture to count votes and make sure votes are not being bought.

Before u observe and give opinion toward anything, u always have to get to know the thing well enough before doing that. Just like auditor , before they give the recommendation to the company, they has to interview the work process , observe work process , testing documents before giving the conclusion of the weakness they found.

It is definitely taking the word out of context, looking at the sentence coming after that "...We do not have to surrender to them and...do not respect our country's sovereignty... don't understand why they constantly call for foreign involvement, it is inappropriate." Although, I am not a big fan of Suthep. His message is simply for domestic consumption, plus red shirt bashing is a good way for the democrat to score some political points anyway.

Crustyjuggler- Yes I'm a Thai and I agree with you that we deserve this kind of government. Most of us hardly give a !$#% anyway

Edited by dan_bkk

Before u observe and give opinion toward anything, u always have to get to know the thing well enough before doing that. Just like auditor , before they give the recommendation to the company, they has to interview the work process , observe work process , testing documents before giving the conclusion of the weakness they found.

Elections are not a Thai thing. Actually they're a very farang thing since farangs invented the concept of democracy. It's pretty simple:

1. You make sure that all the votes are counted

2. You make sure that people are not being paid to vote (ooops)

3. You make sure that people are not being paid to vote for a particular candidate (oooooooops)

4. You make sure that people are not intimidated or coerced to vote for a particular candidate at the polling stations (ooooooops)

What part of Thai culture do we need to understand to be able to say whether the four criteria above are being met? Or are you really saying that what they need to understand is that in Thailand vote buying is common so they should overlook that? Or that election officials loyal to one party or the other often check the ballots to make sure people are voting for who they've been paid to vote for?

It is definitely taking the word out of context, looking at the sentence coming after that "...We do not have to surrender to them and...do not respect our country's sovereignty... don't understand why they constantly call for foreign involvement, it is inappropriate." Although, I am not a big fan of Suthep. His message is simply for domestic consumption, plus red shirt bashing is a good way for the democrat to score some political points anyway.

Crustyjuggler- Yes I'm a Thai and I agree with you that we deserve this kind of government. Most of us hardly give a !$#% anyway

Whether or not it is intended for domestic consumption it made its way into the English language press.

This would make sense if having a fair vote wasn't cut and dry. The only thing I can think of to try and agree with you would be that you think vote buying is a part of Thai culture (it is), and that it should not get changed (it should).

If that's not the case, whitelotus, please give me one example where understanding Thai culture would play a role in overseeing a vote.

Or are you really saying that what they need to understand is that in Thailand vote buying is common so they should overlook that? Or that election officials loyal to one party or the other often check the ballots to make sure people are voting for who they've been paid to vote for?

Sorry to say yes it's a one sample corruption which are now in all secment in Thai as other undeveloped country do but there are some fact behind the scence supporting why most ppl tend to be purchased for their vote

This would make sense if having a fair vote wasn't cut and dry. The only thing I can think of to try and agree with you would be that you think vote buying is a part of Thai culture (it is), and that it should not get changed (it should).

If that's not the case, whitelotus, please give me one example where understanding Thai culture would play a role in overseeing a vote.

Absolutely what i try to say since my first post

Sorry to say yes it's a one sample corruption which are now in all secment in Thai as other undeveloped country do but there are some fact behind the scence supporting why most ppl tend to be purchased for their vote

Do you want to begin to try and change this, or is this the way that you would like it to be?

Do you want to begin to try and change this, or is this the way that you would like it to be?

I'm the one who stand against this way of thai's since i was studied at Thammasat but seems like only one i have no power to change anythings. In the past , even i try to discuss and blaiming the politic out lond in the public, all of my accountancy friends ask me to stop discussing. I know the bad effect of this f************* but how can i do , now, because of this f************* , we as a thai nearly formally lost our land , border between thai and kambodia.

All i can do now is just joining the yellow shirt to protest against this f************* cabinet and PM AND I WILL VOTE NO FOR THE COMMING ELECTION.

SUIDE SIDE BOMBER COME TO THAI PALIAMENT PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Edited by whitelotus