40 Panama 43.62 Very Low Proficiency

41 Colombia 42.77 Very Low Proficiency

42 Thailand 39.41 Very Low Proficiency

43 Turkey 37.66 Very Low Proficiency

44 Kazakhstan 31.74 Very Low Proficiency

45 United Kingdom 30.71 Very Low Proficiency

EF EPI Index

LOL. Added #45 as a joke. :-)

Interestingly, as I've traveled around SEA I've gotten a feeling that other countries in the region had surprisingly good English skills. To me, Cambodia, specifically Phenom Phen, seemed to have more people who could carry on a decent conversation in English. Even some small children street vendors about 10 or 12 years old seemed rather fluent in basic English.

While Cambodia wasn't on the list of countries sampled, Vietnam was and they outscored Thailand. I keep saying this but Thailand better watch its back. Vietnam is very hungry. They could easily become a more attractive spot for tourism and/or foreign investment if Thailand doesn't start making some forward momentum.

hmm, can't find the Philippines in this list?

They are often talking English there, especially in government offices and other official matters, should be even above Malaysia according to my personal experience.

I'm guessing that the Philippines would be pretty highly ranked since English is an official language of the Philippines (which might also explain why it was left off the list since the list is countries where English is not a native language).

Scandinavian peoples they speak English so very well.This one i knew for long time.

Thailand 42 very low Proficiency? I am not surprise and accept this !Because in school since i was young even my English teacher they still pronounce English like Thai Language.But i was live in the north at that time i mean for 30years ago.Nowadays There are lots of fantastic English teacher ,some of them come from native countries langues like USA and UK.And lots of English teacher which they are Thais they are very good as well.I hope these peoples will help our children to have English Proficiency better in the near future.

I also looked for the Philippines immediately after finding Thailand. Their English is phenomenal because they are taught all their core subject in English, and rarely use Tagalog (or a dialect) in school. Thailand would never do this in our lifetime as it would be seen as a blow to the "Thai-ness" of Thailand. Yet another way that pride holds the country back.

simply_oriental, you're very right about how English was taught in the Thai language. Unfortunately, that is still the case in over 90% of Thai schools. Thais are constantly taught to put the stress or accent at the end of words (teaCHER, waTER, etc.), because they are taught in the Thai language. It's so frustrating and annoying. I tried to teach them the proper way to speak, but they would only do it when around me. If they did it around their friends or Thai teachers, they said it would sound too snobby or stuck up (wannabe hiso).

I'd get annoyed. The western teachers and the Philippino teachers would just give up and say, "Eh...this is Thailand...no one cares...mai pben rai. :) "

Sad, but true.

English is one of four official languages of Singapore. This was only for countries that do not have English as an official or native language.

Sadly, we still have to sit for the IELTS test for certain courses if planning to go for overseas studies in England and Australia. Not every course, but it still shows how 'half-accepted' our "English as a first language" is viewed by these countries :(

Denmark is on nr.3??? I'm surprised, kind of. Children in DK start learning English FAR later than children in Thailand. High school students can choose to learn English from level C to A, meaning you don't need to pass exam in level A English to finish high school...(Kaere Danskere, correct me if I'm wrong)

One of the reason that make Danish people scored high in English (IMO) could be that most Danish are traveling around. It's a part of their life style. Most children before age of 18 have spent their holidays outside Denmark and American is on the top of the must-visit-countries list. The other reason that I can think of is that children watching movie in original soundtrack English, French, German or even Chinese. It helps a bit.

Speaking of the Philippines, I don't know how good they are in English but my uncle finished from a U in Philippines and his English sucks just like mine (but maybe because he's Thai!!!) . I know a few Filipino in Denmark and they don't speak much English..(but again I've got friends in low places...where the whiskey drowns)

Thailand nr.42, that I'm not surprised at all. considering how low quality English teachers (specially some of those "native English speaking teachers") in Thailand...but we can't really blame them, can we?

Edited by pandorea

Denmark is on nr.3??? I'm surprised, kind of. Children in DK start learning English FAR later than children in Thailand. High school students can choose to learn English from level C to A, meaning you don't need to pass exam in level A English to finish high school...(Kaere Danskere, correct me if I'm wrong)

One of the reason that make Danish people scored high in English (IMO) could be that most Danish are traveling around. It's a part of their life style. Most children before age of 18 have spent their holidays outside Denmark and American is on the top of the must-visit-countries list. The other reason that I can think of is that children watching movie in original soundtrack English, French, German or even Chinese. It helps a bit.

Speaking of the Philippines, I don't know how good they are in English but my uncle finished from a U in Philippines and his English sucks just like mine (but maybe because he's Thai!!!) . I know a few Filipino in Denmark and they don't speak much English..(but again I've got friends in low places...where the whiskey drowns)

Thailand nr.42, that I'm not surprised at all. considering how low quality English teachers (specially some of those "native English speaking teachers") in Thailand...but we can't really blame them, can we?

I don't think when you begin learning has anything to do with it. Bottom line is that Thai children typically learn English from someone who doesn't speak the language. Everybody says, "Oh, it's okay because they're just learning grammar and you don't need to be fluent to teach grammar." Bullshit. English is a very difficult language to master grammatically. Many native English speakers screw up basic grammar. How is someone who can barely speak the language going to teach English grammar when many (dare I say most) native speakers of English can't?

And I think the Danes, and people from nearly every other European country on the list, score so well because English is the international language of business. If you're a Dane and want to do business in Italy you either learn Italian or English. If you're a Dane and want to do business in France you either learn French or English. Since English will get you by in more countries than Italian, French, German, etc. most people learn English. Hell, it'll get you farther in Thailand. How many people speak Danish compared to the number of people who can speak English as a first, second, or third language?

In my ever so humble opinion, I think the reason why Thailand scores so poorly is because Thais, in general, really don't value education. Ask anybody who teaches here. The kids who can afford a quality education don't care about education because they're already guaranteed a good paying job because their parents have connections. The people who can't afford a quality education don't care because they know that intelligence, ingenuity, and being clever aren't well rewarded and in the end, unless they can somehow get into a university, they're going to get offered the same 7000 baht per month jobs as people who failed out of school. It's only that sliver in the middle who actually have a shot at moving up the social ladder who have any incentive to educate themselves. Unfortunately, that sliver in the middle is still too small.

I don't think when you begin learning has anything to do with it. Bottom line is that Thai children typically learn English from someone who doesn't speak the language. Everybody says, "Oh, it's okay because they're just learning grammar and you don't need to be fluent to teach grammar." Bullshit. English is a very difficult language to master grammatically. Many native English speakers screw up basic grammar. How is someone who can barely speak the language going to teach English grammar when many (dare I say most) native speakers of English can't?

And I think the Danes, and people from nearly every other European country on the list, score so well because English is the international language of business. If you're a Dane and want to do business in Italy you either learn Italian or English. If you're a Dane and want to do business in France you either learn French or English. Since English will get you by in more countries than Italian, French, German, etc. most people learn English. Hell, it'll get you farther in Thailand. How many people speak Danish compared to the number of people who can speak English as a first, second, or third language?

In my ever so humble opinion, I think the reason why Thailand scores so poorly is because Thais, in general, really don't value education. Ask anybody who teaches here. The kids who can afford a quality education don't care about education because they're already guaranteed a good paying job because their parents have connections. The people who can't afford a quality education don't care because they know that intelligence, ingenuity, and being clever aren't well rewarded and in the end, unless they can somehow get into a university, they're going to get offered the same 7000 baht per month jobs as people who failed out of school. It's only that sliver in the middle who actually have a shot at moving up the social ladder who have any incentive to educate themselves. Unfortunately, that sliver in the middle is still too small.

I beg to differ on your comment "..when you begin learning has anything to do with it." . It has a lot to do with it specially with language. As I understand, it's easier for young children to learn a new language.. the problem for Thailand children is they don't use what they have learned as much.

The other thing is, even tho' teachers in Thailand are "some what" respected by students BUT most of those who's gone to teachers colleges (my generation and/or older generations) were not as smart or intelligence as other kinds of education. We even had saying in Thai..เรียนอะไรไม่ได้ ไปเรีียนครุ = "if you can't study anything, go to teachers college"..It's a popular discussion 20-25 years ago. I think people forgot all about that already. We're busy doing something else.

In my (not so humble) opinion, there were "some" Thai who value education far more that some Dane I know. Many Thai families work their hecks out just to send their children to decent schools, some decent Thai fathers work like 2-3 jobs in order to pay for their children education. On the contrary, the Danish government pays for every Danes education as long as they want to study. If you live in Denmark you can go get a ph.d x 2 if you wanted to, and in most cases, it's free! but statistically young Danes dropped off from schools far more that other countries in the Nordic.

Yes having good connection is important but it isn't important every where? BUT by not having good connection or not came from "good" family back ground in Thailand doesn't mean you are f**ked. There were many successful Thai people (both I know and don't know them personally) came from very poor back family back ground but they were too busy with their jobs and all, we won't find them on streets much.

Only 6 millions people and about 8000+ Thai imported wives speak Danish. You can't go far with Danish language, possibly from Copenhagen to AArhus ;D and everyone in a Danish company can speak English but in Thailand maybe you have to talk with the big boss or his secretary. I think that has something to do with working culture, like in Denmark, everyone in a company can make decisions. He/she has level of responsibilities/decision, like when an English speaking client calls in, he/she must be able to handle the case and make decision if it needed. In Thailand, every thing is "up to the boss" (even when the boss is an idiot) ;D

Edited by pandorea

Perhaps I misspoke. Obviously children acquire language skills more quickly when they're younger but the point I was trying to make is that it's about the quality of the education that people are receiving. It doesn't matter if Thai children start learning English at 1 day old if what they're being taught is shit. What I was saying is that age is not really an excuse. If Danes can learn English starting later then it is only logical to conclude that Thai's low English proficiency is due to other factors.

As far as respect for education, what does a university degree in Thailand get you? Right out of university it might get you a 10,000 - 15,000 baht a month job in a nice office building instead of 7,000 baht per month working retail or manual labor. In the US, the minimum wage is $15,000 a year (approximately, assuming full employment). The average starting salary of someone with a university degree in the US is over $45,000. The large gap (3x) between the two illustrates how much an education is valued in the US vs. in Thailand. In Thailand it's not uncommon to see employers list a requirement of a university diploma to be a sales clerk.

As I mentioned, some people do see it differently and value education but not on the level that they do elsewhere. In fact, you kind of make that point, Nicky. In Denmark it's assumed that education is a basic right that should be available to everyone. Like freedom, human rights, air. In Thailand education is a privilege.

Nicky, you may know people who have made it without connections or coming from the right family but is that the norm or are they the exceptions? Connections are important in every culture but in Thailand they can make and brake you. Thailand is famous for its cronyism and nepotism. In America and Europe connections will only get you so far. If you're a complete idiot you will soon find yourself sidelined no matter who you know or who your parents are.

I beg to differ on your comment "..when you begin learning has anything to do with it." . It has a lot to do with it specially with language. As I understand, it's easier for young children to learn a new language.. the problem for Thailand children is they don't use what they have learned as much.

The other thing is, even tho' teachers in Thailand are "some what" respected by students BUT most of those who's gone to teachers colleges (my generation and/or older generations) were not as smart or intelligence as other kinds of education. We even had saying in Thai..เรียนอะไรไม่ได้ ไปเรีียนครุ = "if you can't study anything, go to teachers college"..It's a popular discussion 20-25 years ago. I think people forgot all about that already. We're busy doing something else.

In my (not so humble) opinion, there were "some" Thai who value education far more that some Dane I know. Many Thai families work their hecks out just to send their children to decent schools, some decent Thai fathers work like 2-3 jobs in order to pay for their children education. On the contrary, the Danish government pays for every Danes education as long as they want to study. If you live in Denmark you can go get a ph.d x 2 if you wanted to, and in most cases, it's free! but statistically young Danes dropped off from schools far more that other countries in the Nordic.

Yes having good connection is important but it isn't important every where? BUT by not having good connection or not came from "good" family back ground in Thailand doesn't mean you are fucked. There were many successful Thai people (both I know and don't know them personally) came from very poor back family back ground but they were too busy with their jobs and all, we won't find them on streets much.

Only 6 millions people and about 8000+ Thai imported wives speak Danish. You can't go far with Danish language, possibly from Copenhagen to AArhus ;D and everyone in a Danish company can speak English but in Thailand maybe you have to talk with the big boss or his secretary. I think that has something to do with working culture, like in Denmark, everyone in a company can make decisions. He/she has level of responsibilities/decision, like when an English speaking client calls in, he/she must be able to handle the case and make decision if it needed. In Thailand, every thing is "up to the boss" (even when the boss is an idiot) ;D

Yes having good connection is important but it isn't important every where? BUT by not having good connection or not came from "good" family back ground in Thailand doesn't mean you are f**ked. There were many successful Thai people (both I know and don't know them personally) came from very poor back family back ground but they were too busy with their jobs and all, we won't find them on streets much.

I would like to support P' Nicky's opinion here. And the father who worked the hecks out just to pay for the kids school expenses, including expensive cost of living of Bangkok, was my father (and I think there are many thai fathers ). We were laughed with tears anytime when we, brothers&sisters, talk about our early year that have been sent to study in the DECENT school in Bangkok and still amazed me that how could my father (with fully strong help from mother) made it.

English Proviciency in my family I can say above average of most thais, the statistic that shown here made me sad but I have no data to defend on that.

:(

I agree with Bill that education in Thailand remains a priviledge. However much the 'majority Thais', the common man in the street, may, deep in their hearts, desire to provide their children the best education to be more knowledgable (in the academic sense) and to have a more comfortable life for their offspring than what they have, education still remains a priviledge. To some, especially the single-parent, low-income Thai families, it may be a big dream that has to cost a life to make it happen.

I guess some of you living in Thailand are familiar with Peter Robinson, aka Phra Farang, an English monk who has since disrobed to set up the SET (Student Education Trust) for improverished Thai students. When he was a monk, he got to know some Thai boys who were compelled to leave home to be a monk until 21 years of age, wherein they can obtain free education plus food and shelter to a certain level, because although education in Thailand is free, some rural families are too poor enough to afford their children being away from paid work. Neither could the family afford the daily bus ride, nor the stationery, and the uniform etc, even if they walk the punishing hour(s)-long journey to and from school. In his books Little Angels, Phra Farang and now, his latest In Grandmother's House (published last year, and a collaboration with his ex SET beneficiary), the stories talked about how some families are so desperately poor, that sometimes, becoming a monk is the only way out to secure at least that bit of education. In his latest book, the ex SET boy talked about how he was deserted by his father and because his mother wanted so much for him to study although they were just so poor, she had to work away from home in BKK, where she later died as she probably did not see a doctor to save money for sending back home to him.

I was, and remains, very touched by the accounts in his books. Because the young people portrayed, their lives, their hopes, their dreams, and their sufferings, are all for real. It is something that I can never fully understand, despite coming from a poor family too when I was young, because I guess, being born very poor in a developed country is a very different experience with different gradual life opportunities from being born destitute in a developing country.

Edited by Hazel

I think we should focus more on English language learning... cuz I have seen you guys are talking about Education System in Thailand. True it's about Education, English language is in the program that Thai students study.

I do believe every students has studied English since primary school to university no matter Bacherlor's degree nor Master's degree... there are English classes in every level of Education. Plus, in some big companies such as my company provide English class for there staff. We have English Instructors here, and have contract with English Language Institue such as Wallstreet.

Nowaday, I have seen many public schools hired the native speakers to be English teacher, right?

The question is why we can't speak better English?

Because of

1. "Nation Pride"?

2. Thai ppl can't see how important to speak English?

3. We have lack of confidence to speak English?

4. There is no affect if we don't speak English?

5. Do we have eager to learn English?

6. Do we have good quality English teacher?

For me, my family was poor, but my mom talked to other ppl about working life, about my future, ppl who work in company and some successful business ppl told my mom that I should go to study English and Computer before I graduate from university.

It's quite true. I got jobs cuz of those stuff... so that was my inspiration.

I do believe when ppl have inspiration to do something... they will try hard to make it happen.

Some of you might not get picture how hard I tried.

When I was 17 or 18 I woke up at 5 am get dress and go to AUA. to catch the morning class...and 8 AM. I got on motorbike and go to uni. I did that until I completed 15 level, and continue writing classes, listening and public speaking class, til I got BA. and at that time I learn about computer graphic, not many ppl study in that field. So I got the job so easily.

And I never stop learning English...

My friends always complain about taking TOEIC test, especially listening part.

I told them stop see the Thai soaps, see better program on cable TV. Seems like no one believe me... so..it's their lifes.

For me, I stop looking Thai soaps, AF, the Star long time ago... I turn no Universal, Sony Entertainment, Syfy, etc. sometime i don't look at it, just listen to them...

Edited by Chatty

I think we should focus more on English language learning... cuz I have seen you guys are talking about Education System in Thailand. True it's about Education, English language is in the program that Thai students study.

I do believe every students has studied English since primary school to university no matter Bacherlor's degree nor Master's degree... there are English classes in every level of Education. Plus, in some big companies such as my company provide English class for there staff. We have English Instructors here, and have contract with English Language Institue such as Wallstreet.

Nowaday, I have seen many public schools hired the native speakers to be English teacher, right?

The question is why we can't speak better English?

Because of

1. "Nation Pride"?

2. Thai ppl can't see how important to speak English?

3. We have lack of confidence to speak English?

4. There is no affect if we don't speak English?

5. Do we have eager to learn English?

6. Do we have good quality English teacher?

For me, my family was poor, but my mom talked to other ppl about working life, about my future, ppl who work in company and some successful business ppl told my mom that I should go to study English and Computer before I graduate from university.

It's quite true. I got jobs cuz of those stuff... so that was my inspiration.

I do believe when ppl have inspiration to do something... they will try hard to make it happen.

Some of you might not get picture how hard I tried.

When I was 17 or 18 I woke up at 5 am get dress and go to AUA. to catch the morning class...and 8 AM. I got on motorbike and go to uni. I did that until I completed 15 level, and continue writing classes, listening and public speaking class, til I got BA. and at that time I learn about computer graphic, not many ppl study in that field. So I got the job so easily.

And I never stop learning English...

My friends always complain about taking TOEIC test, especially listening part.

I told them stop see the Thai soaps, see better program on cable TV. Seems like no one believe me... so..it's their lifes.

For me, I stop looking Thai soaps, AF, the Star long time ago... I turn no Universal, Sony Entertainment, Syfy, etc. sometime i don't look at it, just listen to them...

Lots of good points there Nong1 and very good questions too.

Why can't we speak better English? I think that might have something to do with practice. Language skill is all about -ฟัง พูด อ่าน เขียน, listening, speaking, reading and writing. The more you practice the better you will be and I think many of us, Thai, haven't got opportunity to practice much. Most of shows on TV are in Thai, there were few radio stations in English and people don't care much for them.

and the other thing IMO, we are not familiar with "grammar" because our Thai language has very lost grammar, we don't care much for -subject-verb-object- and we have two types of using our Thai, by speaking and by writing. And as far as I know most Thai don't write correct Thai. That's could be because we have so many different choices of words of the same meaning. Our Thai language nature makes it difficult for us to learn English and almost impossible for us to speak perfect English, unless you live and learn English in an English speaking country since you were 5 years old.

For the Dane, first of all they have an advantage because Danish language pretty much depends on grammar. If you don't speak correct grammar, no one can understand you. When the Danes learn English language, they are more focus on grammar and that's easier for them then us, I think.

Malaysia and Hongkong are on the top of the list from Asian countries, but most of people from Malaysia and HK I know speak English with strong accent, but yes they are far better with English grammar then us, Thai.

I agree with you, nong 1 that we start to focus on the Thai education system more than how Thai learn English, even tho those 2 things depends on each other but learning a language doesn't have to be in school only.

Do you remember your thread some long while ago "pork 3rd floor"? That's one good example why we are not as good in English as others.

anyway, I don't know the methodology of the index. I guess I could find out but I'm too lazy now, if anyone had read it please sum it up for me.

Agree with p'Nicky about Grammar part... It's the hardest part for me as well... When I speak I have to correct my grammar so many times. My thick skin could help me out, but I still concern about my sucky grammar.

A friend of mine, he is English teacher, he always correct me when I speak all time. It's good, but quite annoying, sometimes I think I better shut my mouth. lol.

Once he wanted to write a book about "Tense" and I was his graphic designer... it was pretty hard to help Thai students understand English Tense... cuz we have difference style of language I think.

Talking about English Teachers, we should concern about the way they teach too? Cuz everytime I talk about Wallstreet teaching technic, it's web-base training, my friends who are English Teacher not agree with it. I don't know I just tried them only one time while I site visit.. (Learning to do self-learning and my company also has contract with the institue) The lesson, they have some listening parts and answer some questions, then there are some conversation and after listening students have to speak out and listen to themselves voices, I like this part the most.

For me, the successful key is encourage Thai ppl to speak English, take away all our shy... Oh, many Thai don't wanna lose their face, that's why we don't like to speak English.

Philippines got a lot of dialects just like Thailand has. However, those dialects are still being used locally or abroad (Pride of Dialects). English is a must second language for Filipinos for them to be competitive anywhere in the World. Even America acknowledges it that they even hire English teachers in the Philippines. It's not a surprise that sometimes you even find that they are very articulate on it. Having American English, English English, French, Italian, Deutch, Niponggo, Mandarin, Hokkien, Arabic, Parsi or whatever second language you like wouldn't be a hindrance if the government solely supports it. Look at China and Japan, they are like Thailand you need to learn their language instead of them learning yours.