Singaporian, Filipinos, Malaysian, Vietnamese VS. Thai Employees.

Chatty

Question

5 answers to this question

In my office, we had a topic to discuss about imported employees such as Filipinos... they come to Thailand a lot, and most of them are in the management level and executive level.

Why is that?

well workers in asia r generally "imported" because they r either

a) cheaper than local workers or

B) better quailified or more expereinced than local workers ... or just all round better than local workers.

My current staff is the best I've ever had - they have all been working there for 4+ years. This means there has been lots and lots of time for them to learn their jobs and become as fantastic as they are.

I've employed a few Filipinos and without doubt they have all been much faster learners. Training time is usually cut down by two thirds, common sense and decision making is good, and finally professionalism is higher. By that I mean they give proper notice, ask for leave well in advance and have fewer sick days.

While I don't want to bash Thais, I do want to pass on my compliments to the Filipinos for such great service. I don't have a definitive answer for why they have performed so well, but I guess education is a key role.

In my office, we had a topic to discuss about imported employees such as Filipinos... they come to Thailand a lot, and most of them are in the management level and executive level.

Why is that?

Hi bCool,

First of all, if the company is being one fourth or half owned by a foreigner. They always check the level of competitiveness and skills of their workers. Like some of the following:

a) Can they speak English? This is all about communication which is a hindrance for SOME (not all) Thai nationals that when they speak English they are having a hard time to complete or construct a sentence.

B) Multitasking plays also a great part. MAYBE some Thai nationals can only concentrate on one job at a time.

c) Ideas. Thai nationals are too shy to share ideas (marketing/management).

e) Learn to say "I don't understand, I beg your pardon or Can you please repeat it". I've saw a lot of Thai employees that on a conversation they always say they understand but they can't fathom it all along.

Don't get me wrong. Thai nationals are good workers as well. It's just that the level of competitiveness at the moment is a bit low for me. You can correct me if I'm wrong.