Forced Vacation - Where to Go?

TimmyTwo

you should book air asia flight at least 1 month prior to your leaving to get a favorable price.

less than that it may result expensive as others.

entry to thailand by land gives you 15 days permit (without visa) - entry by airport gives you 1 month (without visa)

KL isn't bad and price should be ok as KL is airasia hub. (no local visa)

SAIGON is a good experience for few days, but you need their embassy visa (2400bath 1 day waiting time)

LASO-CAMBODIA easily a land exit flying to udonthani or ubonrachathani (you will get border on arrival visa issued, if i'm right 25usd)

Well, I got back from KL today. The bad weather meant the sightseeing was a bit limited, but it was an enjoyable trip and I’m glad I went. The people are nice and friendly, and the food is top notch.

Here are a few tips/pointers for anyone who is considering going there:

The taxi ride from Kuala Lumpur airport to the city centre takes about an hour in total – and this was despite the best efforts of the taxi driver. I suspected he’d been watching the Malaysian Grand Prix from the previous day. Yikes!

If you want to visit the Petronas Twin Towers (which are amazing) then be aware that they only allow 1,000 visitors per day. Tickets go on sale at 7am, so if you don’t get there early you’ll likely miss out. I slept in and missed out.

If you like your beer then you should be prepared to pay for it! The price for a bottled beer in the hotel was the equivalent of about 350 baht. It wasn’t much cheaper in the local bars. We did get ‘happy hour’ pricing of about 200 baht, for all of 15 minutes. KL is not a good place to visit if you’re an alcoholic.

If you fly with Air Asia then don’t get the fast train (28 minutes) from central station to KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport) - because it’s the wrong airport. The airport you want is 20km away. I now know this from personal experience. Doh!